Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Interesting observation about holsters I wanted to share 

I'm a 6'1" guy with a little bit of a gut. I switched to carrying my M&P9C AIWB awhile back, but there was a constant struggle to keep the pistol from riding up and feeling like it was about to "flip over" my belt, which prints really bad. Very annoying. While reading the comments in a TTAG column (forgot the topic) it was mentioned by a reader commenting on a similar problem, that perhaps the solution was simply a bigger gun. A light came on, so I unloaded my full size M&P9 house gun to see how it fit in that situation, sans holster. It was like a miracle happened. With the front of the gun bearing down on the front of my pelvis (fupa) instead of being above it, the gun didn't tip out and instantly felt more solid. I began to gather things together to swap the house gun and carry gun, but since the holster came in first, I put in on, dropped my M&P9C into it, and voila! A solution that didn't involve swapping guns out. Since the compact gun fits the full size holster perfectly, just a little short, the holster itself provides that extra leverage to keep the gun from moving where I don't want it to.

So the nutshell is that if you carry a compact pistol that has a full sized brethren, and have this kind of problem, a full size holster might do the trick for you. I was also giving some thought to adding some sort of structure to the bottom of the smaller holster, giving it some additional reach, but don't need to with this particular model.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good tip!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:26 am

Common practice with AIWB. I carry a G19 in a G17 length holster. I do not have a gut, and it is still beneficial for tucking the gun unward.

Alot of makers produce, for example, G43 holsters that're longer in the muzzle than they need to be, for this very reason.

Different thicknesses and sizes of pads can help as well.

What brand of holster is this?

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Truth. Too many people think they need a G43 or LCP for concealment, when in reality a G17 or 19 (or your brand of choice in similar size) can be easier and more comfortable to carry.

I know one guy, who (last I saw him) most would describe as "a bit of a gut" who carries two G34 pistols AIWB comfortably. Some of that is torso size; I can carry a G17 comfortably but not the 34, but regardless, it's still more comfortable than my 43.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]