Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What is your method of shopping for concealed handgun? 

Absolutely.

And check out www.pistol-forum.com. Their training sections, Drill Of The Week, etc., have a huge amount of info. Lot of knowledgeable folks over there (and a few asshats, like everywhere else).

Frankly, that Officers Model you have is a decent fighting pistol, I'd carry it if that was all I had, despite the 6 round capacity, reloads can be very fast. I carried a 5" 1911 for years before transitioning to Glocks.

My first instructor back in '93 (seasoned LE, worked UC at the time) ran an Officers Model on a Para Ordinance widebody frame. Short gun, 13 rounds of .45ACP. Slick setup, back when there weren't many factory options like that, such as we have now.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:21 pm

Just received my CPL in the mail, woot!

Another piece of my American dream falling in place. :bigsmile:

Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something to consider if you are "girth enhanced" like some of us are. Exposed hammers hurt especially if you do appendix carry which is almost all the time for me. My M&P Shield tucks in there nicely and I use a Sticky Holster which works well for me. If I carry something with an exposed hammer, it's much less comfortable but still doable.

I started out carrying a Ruger LCP in a Desantis Nemesis holster, and I still carry that one occasionally in my front right pocket. I also have a tiny Beretta Jetfire that I'll use for walks around the block, but that's actually in a OC holster that my uncle used before he willed it to me. Cute little thing and surprisingly accurate for it's barrel length.

Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:10 pm
Profile WWW

bigbearbear wrote:
Just received my CPL in the mail, woot!

Another piece of my American dream falling in place. :bigsmile:

Outstanding!

Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you can't find a holster for "your" gun, there are many local makers who will make a custom holster for you.
don't buy based on holster availability.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The holster is the most difficult part.

Mon May 02, 2022 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rent everything, and ask everyone you meet to try theirs.
don't buy a gun you haven't used, with carry ammo. ensure that you can work all the controls, to your satisfaction. wiser folks than me have had spectacular success buying a quality .22lr semi-auto, and sending many, many cheap rounds through it to master fundamentals before committing to a carry gun.
most folks would learn to drive at a faster rate of improvement if they started with a vw, rather than a formula one racer.

Mon May 02, 2022 9:58 pm

re-reading this thread i was truly surprised nobody mentioned the basic question(s) when i am asked the type of question your posted...

1. why/what was your rational for pursuing your privilege card in February 22 ~ threat in your situational/personal environment requiring a SD firearm or just cuz you want to be one of us?

2. plan to OC or CC while out and about with your SD handgun?

3. do you have a personal protection plan and does your personal protection plan for a 'close quarters' or follow the normal '21 foot rule' encounter?

4. was your eye dominance checked during your firearm training activities so you purchase a SD handgun suitable for your shooting hand?

5. what is your general health, e.g., mature w/shakes, eyesight is bad; what is your hand/wrist size, ad nauseam.

6. your budget range? [my long time favorite low recoil carry handgun is the FNH Five-seveN [5.7] full size but 'lite weight' [21oz] 20+ 1 on board which MSRP cost 1.3K$ while my ankle BUG is a SW 360PD weighting in at 12oz and a MSRP cost of 1.1K$ -- {hopefully 5 rounds in close quarters will suffice}]

7. got enough $$ to sustain holster, ammo, and range time to become proficient with your SD handgun choice!

things to make you say...hummm

ps, yes i have my state privilege permit yet OC 95% of the time.

best to ya...carry safely...

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2