Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
 SBR Picture Thread 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's an SBR that I've had in work for a while. I posted this back in August:

MadPick wrote:
I've had a Form 1 approved for a while now to make a 10.5" AR-15 short-barreled rifle in 5.56. Well, recently I decided to make it happen and ordered all of the parts except the stock, and they arrived last week.

So today I sat down to put it together . . . should be pretty simple, right? I've done a few ARs, so I can fumble my way through though I don't consider myself an expert.

Challenge #1: I'm using a Primary Weapons Systems stripped lower, which is very nice . . . ambi bolt release, ambi mag release, etc. It's missing a piece for the ambi bolt release. :angryfire: I emailed PWS, but this meant that I couldn't finish the lower.

Challenge #2: I'm using a Noveske barrel and Switchblock gas system, which is basically a fancy adjustable gas block. The gas block has both a set screw and a very tight pin to hold it in place. I installed the barrel to the upper with a standard barrel nut, then put the gas block in place. I beat the hell out of that pin trying to get it in, and couldn't. I knocked it out, and tried it the other way. I made more progress, but still couldn't get it ALL the way in. Fuck it, I said, close enough.

Challenge #3: I went to install the hand guard, a Fortis Rev 2.0, a very nice rail. Well, the fucking thing won't fit over the gas block! (I should have realized this....) So, I tried to remove the pin that I had been hammering on for so long so I could remove the gas block . . . no joy. After bending two punches, I gave up and went to Pantel Tactical for professional help. Josh got it out for me; thanks, man. :4couple:

Challenge #4: So now I can slip on the hand guard, right? WRONG. The hand guard has these "anti-rotational tabs" on the top, and they require that you have a normal mil-spec upper. My upper is slightly different, and those tabs won't allow the hand guard to go into place. In fact, those tabs scratched both sides of the upper. :cussing:

At this point, this is pretty much where I'm at:

Fuggit. I ordered another hand guard that doesn't have the tabs . . . and also uses a proprietary barrel nut, which means I'll need to reef on that fucker to remove what I installed this morning.

:blackcloud1:

Maybe I'll try again in a week or two . . . .

Well, this little bitch continued to be a problem for me.

After talking with Primary Weapons systems about the missing part, it turned out I was missing THREE parts. They were super-helpful and responsive, no problem, they shipped the parts out to me. Supposedly. After waiting about three weeks with nothing in my mailbox, then sent them again, and this time they arrived and I was able to put together the lower.

Remember how expensive handguard #1 (Fortis Rev 2.0) wouldn't fit on my upper? Well, I bought expensive handguard #2 (Lantac SPADA-M 6.75" M-LOK) and I was able to get it attached nicely . . . well, until I tried to mate the upper to the lower, and the little nubs on the lower (that go around the takedown pin) interfered with the handguard. I was just about ready to cry at this point. I sat there and stared at it, trying to decide whether to grab the Dremel or find yet another handguard, and I finally decided to just reverse this little alignment piece that installs with the handguard bolts. This moved the handguard forward from its proper position (nestled right up against the upper) and created a small gap between the upper and the handguard. I don't like the gap, but I don't think it will affect function and it's just enough to allow the upper to attach to the lower.

With that done, I thought I was almost there. I still had to put on the buffer tube, but I own every AR-15 part known to man so I knew that I had everything I needed.

Well, as it turned out I didn't have a castle nut. So I ordered that . . . and waited.

And then, it turned out that I didn't have that little plate that goes under the castle nut. I mean, a had a bunch for pistols, but none for a rifle. So I ordered that . . . and waited.

Finally, today I got it all together:

This thing has been a bitch to get together, but in the end I'm happy with it. Here are the parts:

Lower: Primary Weapons Systems MK1 Mod 2
Upper: Fortress Tactical Bootleg Lightweight Upper (aka Primary Weapons Systems, I think)
Barrel, gas block and gas tube: Noveske 10.5" with Switchblock (3-position gas block, on/suppressed/off)
Pistol grip: BAD-ATG adjustable grip
Handguard: Lantac SPADA-M 6.75" M-LOK
Stock: Strike Industries Viper Mod 1
Charging handle: Some cheap shit Chinese ambi knock-off . . . quite nice, actually
Sight: Holosun HS503GU
Trigger: POF AR15/AR10 3.5lb Straight Trigger w/ KNS Anti Rotation Pins
Buffer: JP Silent Captured Spring

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So....after all that I see the muzzle nut and think "airsoft".
:bigsmile:

Oh, and nothing like flying commercial at 34,000 feet when some libtard See's you looking at some fancy Ass SBR on your phone.
My next thread may be about how I extricated myself from that spot when the Libtard screamed and ran to their safe place in the Lav you designed.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
So....after all that I see the muzzle nut and think "airsoft".
:bigsmile:

Oh, and nothing like flying commercial at 34,000 feet when some libtard See's you looking at some fancy Ass SBR on your phone.
My next thread may be about how I extricated myself from that spot when the Libtard screamed and ran to their safe place in the Lav you designed.

better be careful, he could have set a "flush" button on his ph.... and down you go out comes bluey

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally got the tax stamp for my B&T APC9!

Can’t wait to take it to the range. It shot really well with the pistol strap and I bet the thing will be stupid accurate with a stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes. MUCH YES.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
Finally got the tax stamp for my B&T APC9!

Can’t wait to take it to the range. It shot really well with the pistol strap and I bet the thing will be stupid accurate with a stock.

Much Bad Ass right there. Such a tiny little package, even smaller than the Scorpion. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DAMN, thats nice............SO fed up with these tax stamps FUCK!!!!

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys! I’m just glad 9mm is relatively cheap since I can’t help but dump the whole mag every time I line up for a shot. It’s a hoot and a half!

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:25 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

edogg wrote:
Thanks guys! I’m just glad 9mm is relatively cheap since I can’t help but dump the whole mag every time I line up for a shot. It’s a hoot and a half!

Slickguns also has 147gr American eagle 9mm for $150 per 1k rounds after mail in rebate. Just sayin

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:39 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

First SBRImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:39 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oooh, pretty. Did you do some mags to go with it?

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice paint job! :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shitty built rubicon. ;)?
I think I’m in the wrong business.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next