Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 darrington,wa pits 

Does anyone know if the darrington pits on whitehorse mountain are open again? Thanks!

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns! :wagwoot:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Was up passed Darrington a couple weeks ago. I saw people shooting at 2 pits off of Sauk road (I think that's the road name). I made my way up further, but was mostly alone.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot at the pits up in Darrington, I take my grandson , he shoots and I pick.up old shotgun hulls and steel rifle & pistol cases that others shot and left on the ground.
I generally pick up a three gallon bucket of steel rifle & postal cases. They average 32 pounds of cases.
And I usually pick up two five gallon and a three gallon buckets of shotgun hulls.

If there is any time left I shoot a little with my grandson. But with it getting dark so early, I dont shoot much this time of year.
I dump the steel cases over in the metal recycling at the Arlington transfer station.
The shotgun hulls are baged up in Safeway grocery bags and thrown in the trash cans with I stop to get gas of when I go to the grocery store.

I have a $10 magnet from harbor freight that I use to pick the cases up with. The buckets were free from the bakery at
Safeway grocery store.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:53 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ That’s a great pic!

Thanks for the work that you do. That really makes a difference. thumbsup

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We shoot most weekends, he shoot 357 & 38spl loaded down to around 800fps, 223, 7.62x39 and 410. He can out shoot most of the guys that we occasionally shoot with. I just loaded up fifty 357 magnum and fifty 38spl bullets last night for him to shoot. I have to finish up twenty 243 bullets for myself this morning.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@DoveRelease - Are you going to a pit off Sauk Rd or the ones by the fairgrounds? I heard third-hand that the ones by the fairgrounds have been gated off. Would rather not get up there and have nowhere to shoot.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I go to both places, the one by the fairground, or music festival ground or rodeo ground what ever you call it has the gate locked on 435th, you need to get there from the back side.
I have been picking up the garbage shotgun hulls and steel rifle & pistol cases there.

When you go towards Rockport and cross the steel.grate bridge where the S-Curve across the river & stat straight on the sauk road there are two pits there that are open to shoot at.
I've cleaned the first pit up quite a few times, never shot at the larger 2nd pit.

I have a few other places way back in I take my grandson if there is any one shooting at the pits.
I dont like shooting when other people are there, to many drinkers and stoners, I dont trust them. Plus they leave all of their garbage.

All of the signs for public shooting they filled full of holes, it I were in charge of the access to the pits, I'd shut them down because of the pigs leaving their garbage.
People are very unthankful for the use of these shooting sights.

We pick.up all of our spent bad shells and a bunch of others spent shells and all of the aluminum candy my grandson turns in to the recycler for cash and it goes into his gun fund.
He is saving up for a Glock pistol.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, very helpful, I know exactly where you're talking about. We'll make a trip soon, I think.

And thank you for taking the lead on cleaning up whenever you go! :bow:

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We got out for a couple of hours on Monday. I picked up about half a gallon of brass before my grandson got cold
I will take some firewood when we go this coming weekend. He got to shoot my 10 1/2" Ruger 44mag Blackhawn with watered down 44spl ammo.
I need to load up some more for him tomorrow night.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took my grandson out shooting up to the darrington pit this afternoon for a couple of hours. He shot fifty 44spl bullets, fifty 38spl bullets and a bunch of 22lr.
He took the old style 44 magnum Redhawk today to shoot.
He picked up.two 5 gallon buckets and a 3 gallon bucket of old shotgun hulls. There wasn't to much brass to be had. Only about a 1/3 of a sandwich bag full. But it all adds up over time.what an enjoyable trip. Cant wait for next weekend if the weather is good.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ That boy’s a champ! Nicely done, Mason, what a great example for all of us to follow!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
^ That boy’s a champ! Nicely done, Mason, what a great example for all of us to follow!

Agreed!

Mason is the MAN !!! :thumbsup2:

Seems like grandpa is a good teacher, too :bow:

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last night I loaded up fifty 44spl bullets and this morning I loaded up fifty 357magnum bullets for Mason to shoot. We got up the the gravel pit and both the upper pit and lower pit was occupied so we went another 4 or 5 miles deeper in the Mountains and set up on a closed off side road.
It was. A pleasant day to shoot weather wise.
He is hitting soda cans full of water with the handguns.
I loaded the 44spl at 800 fps, the 357 magnum I loaded to just over 1,000 fps.

There was only a smasl amount of shotgun hulls on the ground there. I picked them up and then picked up a shit load of nails where some one had a fire. They were right in the closed off road we were set up on.

After the shooting stopped down below at the gravel pit we loaded up and went down there. Mason did some more shooting and I picked up a gallon paint can of brass, mostly 9mm. It all adds up. I have four gallons of range brass to go through when the weather turns crappy on our weekends.
That gallon of brass weighed ten pounds.
Once I get it cleaned up what we don't need I'll trade it off or sell.it and give the money to Mason for his gun fund. He has $160 so far. He shot a blue 32 auto pistol at the new years shoot and wants to get one. It won't be long and he will have the funds for one.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Man, you guys don't mess around when you go out there! That's quite the revolver collection, and of course the usual massive garbage pickup. thumbsup

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next