Switch to full style
Know a great, safe spot to shoot? Post it up! Coordinate clean-up effort here as well.
Post a reply

Re: Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Wasn't going to answer this...but I'll try.

1. The statement, "I turned and fired a shot in anger" demonstrates intent to fire the shot itself.
2. "They let off a shot from a leveraction". So, you are in an area where firearms are being discharged. Someone is setting up BEHIND you. What would a reasonable person do, if someone is obviously preparing to shoot and you're in the line of fire? I believe they would be SCREAMING THEIR BRAINS OFF.
3. Turning and firing a shot in anger--and being close enough to aim in the vicinity of their feet--demonstrates a disregard for the safety of the people you're shooting at.
4. Finally, did the poster have a reasonable, articulable belief that the people setting up behind them were doing so to SHOOT them, and to cause them great bodily harm? No. Not if he is able to FIRE A SHOT AT THEIR FEET IN ANGER.

Thus, you have the four elements of a criminal act:

Recklessness--loosing a deadly missile in the direction of another human being.
Negligence--Doing so without regard for the safety and well being of the people in front of his muzzle.
Criminal knowledge--Would a reasonable person believe that firing a shot in the direction of another person is RIGHT?

And the single biggest item...

INTENT--where the poster stated, HERE, on a PUBLICALLY ACCESSIBLE AND DISCOVERABLE FORUM, that he turned with "mens rea" (the evil mind, with bad intent) and deliberately discharged his firearm so that the projectile impacted near the extremities of the people he was shooting at.

RCW 9A.36.050 - Reckless endangerment definitely fits.

Unfortunately, since the poster stated that he fired a shot at their feet IN ANGER, then the following would apply:

RCW 9A.36.011
Assault in the first degree.
(1) A person is guilty of assault in the first degree if he or she, with intent to inflict great bodily harm:
(a) Assaults another with a firearm or any deadly weapon or by any force or means likely to produce great bodily harm or death; or
(b) Administers, exposes, or transmits to or causes to be taken by another, poison, the human immunodeficiency virus as defined in chapter 70.24 RCW, or any other destructive or noxious substance; or
(c) Assaults another and inflicts great bodily harm.
(2) Assault in the first degree is a class A felony.

I say again...not a very smart thing to do. Even less so, admitting it on a PUBLIC FORUM.

The only saving grace is that the poster mentioned that this incident occurred 15 years ago.

Take it as you will.

Re: Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Powderman wrote:Wasn't going to answer this...but I'll try.

1. The statement, "I turned and fired a shot in anger" demonstrates intent to fire the shot itself.
2. "They let off a shot from a leveraction". So, you are in an area where firearms are being discharged. Someone is setting up BEHIND you. What would a reasonable person do, if someone is obviously preparing to shoot and you're in the line of fire? I believe they would be SCREAMING THEIR BRAINS OFF.
3. Turning and firing a shot in anger--and being close enough to aim in the vicinity of their feet--demonstrates a disregard for the safety of the people you're shooting at.
4. Finally, did the poster have a reasonable, articulable belief that the people setting up behind them were doing so to SHOOT them, and to cause them great bodily harm? No. Not if he is able to FIRE A SHOT AT THEIR FEET IN ANGER.

Thus, you have the four elements of a criminal act:

Recklessness--loosing a deadly missile in the direction of another human being.
Negligence--Doing so without regard for the safety and well being of the people in front of his muzzle.
Criminal knowledge--Would a reasonable person believe that firing a shot in the direction of another person is RIGHT?

And the single biggest item...

INTENT--where the poster stated, HERE, on a PUBLICALLY ACCESSIBLE AND DISCOVERABLE FORUM, that he turned with "mens rea" (the evil mind, with bad intent) and deliberately discharged his firearm so that the projectile impacted near the extremities of the people he was shooting at.

RCW 9A.36.050 - Reckless endangerment definitely fits.

Unfortunately, since the poster stated that he fired a shot at their feet IN ANGER, then the following would apply:

RCW 9A.36.011
Assault in the first degree.
(1) A person is guilty of assault in the first degree if he or she, with intent to inflict great bodily harm:
(a) Assaults another with a firearm or any deadly weapon or by any force or means likely to produce great bodily harm or death; or
(b) Administers, exposes, or transmits to or causes to be taken by another, poison, the human immunodeficiency virus as defined in chapter 70.24 RCW, or any other destructive or noxious substance; or
(c) Assaults another and inflicts great bodily harm.
(2) Assault in the first degree is a class A felony.

I say again...not a very smart thing to do. Even less so, admitting it on a PUBLIC FORUM.

The only saving grace is that the poster mentioned that this incident occurred 15 years ago.

Take it as you will.


I hope some pay attention to Powderman's reply.

There is no way in hell i would watch someone setup to shoot behind me and say nothing until a shot is fired, i can't even comprehend the thought.
There is then Zero chance i would send a round at their feet in Anger after the fact for any of the reasons he listed. This thread is pretty much a goldmine for the left, i thought that the first time i saw it. :facepalm2:

Re: Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:43 pm

usrifle wrote:
Powderman wrote:Wasn't going to answer this...but I'll try.

1. The statement, "I turned and fired a shot in anger" demonstrates intent to fire the shot itself.
2. "They let off a shot from a leveraction". So, you are in an area where firearms are being discharged. Someone is setting up BEHIND you. What would a reasonable person do, if someone is obviously preparing to shoot and you're in the line of fire? I believe they would be SCREAMING THEIR BRAINS OFF.
3. Turning and firing a shot in anger--and being close enough to aim in the vicinity of their feet--demonstrates a disregard for the safety of the people you're shooting at.
4. Finally, did the poster have a reasonable, articulable belief that the people setting up behind them were doing so to SHOOT them, and to cause them great bodily harm? No. Not if he is able to FIRE A SHOT AT THEIR FEET IN ANGER.

Thus, you have the four elements of a criminal act:

Recklessness--loosing a deadly missile in the direction of another human being.
Negligence--Doing so without regard for the safety and well being of the people in front of his muzzle.
Criminal knowledge--Would a reasonable person believe that firing a shot in the direction of another person is RIGHT?

And the single biggest item...

INTENT--where the poster stated, HERE, on a PUBLICALLY ACCESSIBLE AND DISCOVERABLE FORUM, that he turned with "mens rea" (the evil mind, with bad intent) and deliberately discharged his firearm so that the projectile impacted near the extremities of the people he was shooting at.

RCW 9A.36.050 - Reckless endangerment definitely fits.

Unfortunately, since the poster stated that he fired a shot at their feet IN ANGER, then the following would apply:

RCW 9A.36.011
Assault in the first degree.
(1) A person is guilty of assault in the first degree if he or she, with intent to inflict great bodily harm:
(a) Assaults another with a firearm or any deadly weapon or by any force or means likely to produce great bodily harm or death; or
(b) Administers, exposes, or transmits to or causes to be taken by another, poison, the human immunodeficiency virus as defined in chapter 70.24 RCW, or any other destructive or noxious substance; or
(c) Assaults another and inflicts great bodily harm.
(2) Assault in the first degree is a class A felony.

I say again...not a very smart thing to do. Even less so, admitting it on a PUBLIC FORUM.

The only saving grace is that the poster mentioned that this incident occurred 15 years ago.

Take it as you will.


I hope some pay attention to Powderman's reply.

There is no way in hell i would watch someone setup to shoot behind me and say nothing until a shot is fired, i can't even comprehend the thought.
There is then Zero chance i would send a round at their feet in Anger after the fact for any of the reasons he listed. This thread is pretty much a goldmine for the left, i thought that the first time i saw it. :facepalm2:

:plusone:

Re: Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 am

In an effort to communicate with other shooters and especially new shooters, bring some extra ear plugs and even eye protection. Did any of you get extra eye protection from CDNN sports and did not know that to do with it? If you see someone new and they are having trouble with 'x', you can always offer to lend a hand or offer something for free. Hey buddy, do you have a spare set of eyes, here are some free eye protection for you to use.

Bring some extra bottled water on a hot day.

Bring a small trash can for everyone to use.

Always communicate and anticipate someone is a bigger jerk than you at the range. Or having a bad day.

Re: Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:19 pm

I took my grandson out shooting Saturday & camped out over night and we shot again all day Sunday at the Darrington pit. Saturday we set up in the lower pit, Sounday we set up in the upper pit.
Mid-afternoon a guy pulled in the upper pit next to where we were set up and wanted to set up.next to us. After my ordeal in the original post I don't like having some one I don't knoew shooting around myself and grandson.
I told the guy i really don't like other people shooting next to us and the bottom pit is empty.

Re: Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:54 pm

One comment about pit shooting:

It can be VERY fun, if done safely. That being said, there are some precautions to take, IMHO:

1. NEVER head to an open shoot area alone. Remember the Miami FBI shootout? The two shooters acquired their guns (which were modified illegally after acquisition) by patrolling the open shoot areas. When they found someone with something they liked, they killed the person and took their ammunition as well as the guns.

On the few times I went, there were at least three other people. And one of us ALWAYS stood at the firing line with at least one fully loaded and chambered rifle while we changed targets.

This brings up the next point:

2. ALWAYS detail one person to be a guard.
3. TRUST YOUR GUT. If you see a bunch of people practicing their "gangsta" skills, get out of there.

Just food for thought.

Re: Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:09 pm

When out shooting i have my conseal carry gun in my pocket and I open carry another handgun.
My grandson is a good shot and I have him.oprn carry a revolver while out in the woods just in case. Shit happens everywhere, you never know when it will be your turn for shit to happen to you.
When it is time two switch out targets we never leave any guns loaded on the table.
A friend of a guy I worked with got robbed while out target shooting a few years ago. He went to switch out his target, no carry gun, a tweeker came out of the woods, rushed to his table and grabbed his gun and took every thing including his cloths. They never caught the thief.
I knowe a few people that have incedents with tweekers out in the mountains and it's getting worse every year.
If you don't have the mindset to take care of business when the shit hits the fan you probably shouldn't go up in the mountains.

Re: Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:29 pm

^true^ and ^true^

Re: Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 pm

jackass wrote:In an effort to communicate with other shooters and especially new shooters, bring some extra ear plugs and even eye protection. Did any of you get extra eye protection from CDNN sports and did not know that to do with it? If you see someone new and they are having trouble with 'x', you can always offer to lend a hand or offer something for free. Hey buddy, do you have a spare set of eyes, here are some free eye protection for you to use.

Bring some extra bottled water on a hot day.

Bring a small trash can for everyone to use.

Always communicate and anticipate someone is a bigger jerk than you at the range. Or having a bad day.

I always bring a black contractors trash bag to the pit with me for everyone to use. A couple years back I saw some guys pull a single shot Barrett .50bmg out of the truck of their car. That got my attention. Next they pulled out an old CRT computer monitor. I walked over with a box of sporting clays and said "nice rifle! Put that fucking monitor back in the car. Take these clays and blow them to hell instead" and gave them the box of clays.

Re: Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Seems like a great time to mention there is a 50% discount going on at Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club. Svrifle.org
Post a reply