Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:53 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Bad experience at shooting pits and other outdoor events 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
My #1 rule for shooting at these pits: Always, always, always keep your head on a swivel, and a loaded gun on your hip.

My #2 rule: Leave at the first sign of bad things to come.

Yep, learned #1 long ago....always have a loaded weapon on you, with you.

Never empty all mags in weapons and be standing there with nothing, or worse yet, be weapon less out checking/changing targets.

Pablo's swim buddy rule is important, but this rule pre-empts all others...even at an indoor range.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know. You lost me at 'spraying bullets'.

Yes. There are plenty of fumbducks out there. This is the main reason I like going to the range instead of the forest. Somewhat less fumbducks there, on an 'organized' set up.. Or shooting on my own land. Or where no one else is around.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What’s wrong with spraying bullets now and again? It’s definitely a great stress reliever [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a huge problem with some retard spraying bullets from left to right when they are standing about twenty feet between me & my 7 year old grandson and another group on his right side.
A little to far right or a little to far to the left and one or two of us end up dead.

If that EVER HAPPENS AGAIN I WILL YAKE APPROPEAITE ACTIONS.

The more I think about this the more I get pissed.
If some mother fucker wants to do crack and spray fucking bullets get the fuck up to the firing line; not 25 feet behind it with two people on each side of you.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

DoveRelease wrote:
If some mother fucker wants to do crack and spray fucking bullets get the fuck up to the firing line; not 25 feet behind it with two people on each side of you.

The firing line is KEY.

This was always one of my biggest complaints about shooting at the triangle pit at Capitol Forest; some people shot from back at the treeline, some out in the pit a bit, some in between . . . all over the damn place. Not cool, not safe.

Establish a firing line, and EVERYONE needs to respect it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Establish a firing line, and EVERYONE needs to respect it.

Seen it first hand. Granite Falls pit in about 2004. Couple Russians in cowboy hats with 1 of everything from Big 5 shooting from wherever in the gravel pit and people downrange/ahead of them

They set up behind me and the wife and let a shot off from a leveraction. I turned and fired a shot at their feet in anger. My wife was screaming at me cause she wasnt wearing ear pro :ROFLMAO:

#1 Russian was super apologetic and realized what theyd done I think. #2 Russian was angry and wanted to fight me til he realized I was still pointing a pistol at them

Good times. :thumbsup2:

We packed up and left shortly thereafter.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this ever happens again it will have a totally different outcome.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:57 am

We've run into some sketchy characters at the lower Sauk pit in Darrington over the last year, especially mid-week. We're typically with a group of 3- 5, but it still feels sketchy when a random, semi-derelict car rolls up and just watches you shoot ... even when everyone in my group is carrying. I've noticed an uptick in used needles, human waste and bonfire drinking party leftovers in the pit, too.

Hoping the drug element disappears at some point, but I'm not holding my breath given the current state of drug enforcement in our area. Feels like time to start looking for some land to buy.

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Number one thing to do about pits or other places that others go, don't ever go there under any circumstances.
Aside from the trash, idiots and chance of being robbed either of brass, weapons or your unlocked vehicle it's just not at all worth it and your odds just keep stacking up against you every time you frequent it.

While it took effort, time, fuel monies and will, I've found a dozen+ spots with distance from 0 to 1k yards that nobody goes to that gives me peace and solitude to enjoy my time without worrying about others. I have a couple spots that others evidently use as we both hide the target stand in the same place and the steel keeps getting more dimples and yet zero trash and absolutely no evidence of it being used as a shooting spot.

Spend the time and money to go out and explore, way out.
And keep it so no others would suspect it is an spot to shoot, pick up all spent casings, no trees shot, trash etc.
Get away from idiots and actually enjoy our sport.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:44 am

I've done some Google-Fu with satellite maps in the past looking for locations within 2 hours of Lynnwood to shoot in a secluded, somewhat private location on public land. Typical problem I've had is I find a great spot, use it once or twice and return on a subsequent visit to find new gates installed or existing gates closed and locked. When I'm driving 2 hours each way for a shoot that makes for a crappy day, especially when I have a group following (and relying on) me.

I'm guessing the real problem is I'm only looking within 2 hours of Lynnwood - need to go further out. I have a some great spots in the Spokane area that I use a few times a year, but obviously not practical for a weekend outing.

Couldn't agree more about the odds of an incident at a pit. I rarely meet people shooting in them that I'd trust to wash my car, little less handle a firearm in my vicinity.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:06 am

Quote:
They set up behind me and the wife and let a shot off from a leveraction. I turned and fired a shot at their feet in anger. My wife was screaming at me cause she wasnt wearing ear pro :ROFLMAO:

You did WHAT?

Please tell me I didn't just read that....

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Friend...you DO realize that you are describing Assault In The First Degree, right? And YOU are the one who committed it.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powderman wrote:
Friend...you DO realize that you are describing Assault In The First Degree, right? And YOU are the one who committed it.

Welp, go ahead and do your prosecutor job and do something.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:20 pm

UpDog wrote:
Powderman wrote:

Welp, go ahead and do your prosecutor job and do something.

Wow. Just...wow.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powderman wrote:
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.36.011

Nothing in the quoted statement leads me to believe there was "intent to inflict great bodily harm" or that the firearm was ever pointed directly at the other party.
Powderman wrote:
Quote:
They set up behind me and the wife and let a shot off from a leveraction. I turned and fired a shot at their feet in anger. My wife was screaming at me cause she wasnt wearing ear pro [emoji23]

You did WHAT?

Please tell me I didn't just read that....

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next