Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Greenwater FS 7013 Clearcut: Closed to Shooting 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Perhaps you saw the recent thread about providing input on shooting at Greenwater:
HELP NEEDED: Protect shooting at Greenwater! 6/1 deadline

Well, we provided our inputs, we collaborated on cleanups, we provided data showing that FS 7013 is an extremely safe place to shoot . . . but still, MADrtcw and I received an email from the U.S. Forest Service that says:

U.S. Forest Service wrote:
I want to let you know that I have the approval from our Washington and Regional Offices to implement an emergency closure of the 7013 pit....

When I questioned the reason for the closure, this was the response:

U.S. Forest Service wrote:
The reason for the closure: Unsafe shooting practices continue to occur in the 7013 pit. The reconfiguration trying to force shooters to use the backstop has not worked. Shooters continue to leave trigger trash in the pit, continue to shoot up standing trees, any attempt by the Forest Service to leave a trash can for them to use results in the trash can being shot up, there is little regard to clean up after themselves even after an organized cleanup has happened, information board is being shot up and we cannot continue to use tax payer money by trying to provide and encourage responsible and ethical conduct to use this area.

I'm pretty pissed about this. The reasons listed above are all bullshit; I believe that the REAL reason for the closure is that the local residents, including one state legislator, are complaining about the shooting noise. "Noise" is not a valid reason for the Forest Service to close the area to shooting, so they have fabricated reasons that sound more valid in order to appease the neighbors.

The really unfortunate part about this, beside the loss of a shooting area, is:

- More people will crowd into the FS 70 shooting pit, making it more unsafe.
- More people will head "into the hills" to find their own shooting areas, which in many cases will also be unsafe as too many people have a tendency to shoot in areas that don't have a good backstop, and they leave trash in remote locations where it can't be found and cleaned up.

I could go on and on (as I did in my response to the Forest Service...), but I'll let it go at that.

Anyhow, please be advised that the FS 7013 pit is now (or will soon be, I'm not sure) closed to shooting. Please don't shoot there once it's closed.

:angryfire:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We got steamrolled by a Politician on that deal. You are, now instead of the trash and issues being more contained, it will all be spread out.
Great.... :angryfire: :cussing:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s insulting to say the least. We’re all adults here and the majority of us have been fed enough bullshit in our lives to recognize it when it comes our way. I know everyone can’t be pleased in the end but at least be honest. I still wouldn’t like the decision but at least my intelligence wouldn’t be insulted.

I honestly believe through experience that the Chrystal river ranch community just opened themselves up to a lot more Safety issues and when it happenes we’ll be starting all over again. How’s that quote go again... “Be careful what you wish for”

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:12 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I've never even been there and I'm pissed! I would at least like the option...

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I go up there at least 3 times a month, not any of the pits everyone else goes to, but I see trash all over, piles of toilet paper and human waste, etc..., etc... Wonder if they'll be doing anything about that?

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, fuck......
Now I've got to take the truck up there and grab the hidden steel plates I've left up to shoot for past 10+ years, because some worthless piece of shit will find the cool spot to shoot and find my targets.
Sadly, there's not much for safe spots that have more than 50yd distance to shoot until you crest the PCT and head down the east side. Everywhere else, are Jeep trails and small pullouts.
There's a nice area at government camp to chill out and relax in the woods. It gets trashy once in a while, I'd venture to say this will be the next eyesore, and negative physical conflict during elk archery.......

I believe it's a full combination of events that lead to the closure.
If the pit remained clean and worthless fuckers didn't trash the place and shoot unsafely, the state and homeowners wouldn't have a stump of a leg to stand on.
Yes, the homeowners are loud in their complaining. But it all brings it forefront by the above worthless fucks. Worthless and unsafe assholes succeeded in getting it closed.

So next contact from Ranger Rick will be asking for help cleaning up a dozen trashed pullouts on a 20 mile stretch past the closed pit. Which is going to limit volunteers due to wheelbase/height and distance.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
I propose an easy method to determine whether or not noise is the issue…

Hey, friends on Waguns!

I'm starting a train horn band ensemble. First practice at FS 7013 pit. Date TBD.

See dan360 or Madpick for signup sheets.

I got a horn...

these shit stains need to be caught on camera and fined an arm and leg....next time take their shit.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All these noise issues could be resolved by simply allowing suppressors...

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My opinion is not going to be popular, but MOVE THE FUCK AWAY.

You all live within close proximity to good paying careers. So do MANY other people. MANY of those people are shit stains. Many of those shit stains shoot every where, shoot signs, leave trash etc. Many of the other people that live in close proximity to their career are not shooters and DISLIKE guns/shooters.

Your a GUN OWNER, you are NOT LIKED in this state by MOST of the states residents. Its very simple really. The state is not on your side and neither are your neighbors.

If you really want to do something about it, MOVE THE FUCK AWAY from the other millions of people that all try to share the same resources but hate each other. Hunters, hikers, equestrians, birdwatchers, joggers, bikers, snomobilers, ORVers, jeepers, climbers, pickers, anglers, etc all want a chunk of the woods and MOST of them don't get along or want to share and its only a matter of time before things change drastically.

If you think WASTING your time (meant as part of your short lifespan) fighting a feel good cause is worth anything, you are sadly mistaken. Its wasted effort and hopes and dreams for nothing.

There are three options,,
1 Move to an area with less folks where you can DISCRETELY enjoy your hobby away from the public's EYES and EARS.
2 Move to a state or area where people are LIKE YOU and more likely to participate than oppose your lifestyle.
3 Live next to that good paying job and keep getting fucked in the ass by the rest of your neighbors that want YOU to change.

My ass is to tender for #3.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by MADrtcw on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
Well, fuck......
Now I've got to take the truck up there and grab the hidden steel plates I've left up to shoot for past 10+ years, because some worthless piece of shit will find the cool spot to shoot and find my targets.
Sadly, there's not much for safe spots that have more than 50yd distance to shoot until you crest the PCT and head down the east side. Everywhere else, are Jeep trails and small pullouts.
There's a nice area at government camp to chill out and relax in the woods. It gets trashy once in a while, I'd venture to say this will be the next eyesore, and negative physical conflict during elk archery.......

I believe it's a full combination of events that lead to the closure.
If the pit remained clean and worthless fuckers didn't trash the place and shoot unsafely, the state and homeowners wouldn't have a stump of a leg to stand on.
Yes, the homeowners are loud in their complaining. But it all brings it forefront by the above worthless fucks. Worthless and unsafe assholes succeeded in getting it closed.

So next contact from Ranger Rick will be asking for help cleaning up a dozen trashed pullouts on a 20 mile stretch past the closed pit. Which is going to limit volunteers due to wheelbase/height and distance.

We told them a long time ago to their faces that we were not going to be cleaning up 20 different areas. They’re very aware of what’s going to happen but closing 7013 is more important than the other issues that WILL come of this.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:52 pm

This isn't going to be too well received...but here goes....

The reason that we ARE going to lose more shooting areas...is because of people.

Not the WaGunners...every one of you that I have had the honor of shooting with, has been a good, responsible shooter.

You know what ruins it? The trigger tramps. The ones who DON'T shoot responsibly.

The ones who SHOULDN'T be shooting--and should NOT be in possession of firearms in the first place.

These are the people who pack in a ton of trash and LEAVE IT. The ones who spray bullets all over the place and think it's funny. These are the ones who get shooting areas closed down.

As an example, one time I went to Triangle Pit with a couple of other folks from my Department. We set up some targets on portable stands to warm up with some "El Presidente" drills. It was pretty busy, but we set up where we could shoot safely. After we set up targets, we started putting on our gear.

Guess what happened as soon as the jackets came off and badges were visible?

FULLY 3/4 OF THE PEOPLE THERE SUDDENLY FOUND THAT THEY DIDN'T WANT TO SHOOT ANY MORE. They left in a HURRY.

And, THEY ALL LEFT THEIR TRASH BEHIND.

We spread tarps to catch the brass, and took our shot up targets with us. We filled up a couple of trash bags, too.

This is just sad...so, what to do? I recommend supporting your local range and club. Get some shooters in these clubs, and attend the meetings. Make yourself heard! Volunteer time as an RSO, and work the range. Get the board and the membership on track to host some shooting events, and get them open to the ideas of different types of shooting.

Hopefully, this will provide some relief.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
My opinion is not going to be popular, but MOVE THE FUCK AWAY.

You all live within close proximity to good paying careers. So do MANY other people. MANY of those people are shit stains. Many of those shit stains shoot every where, shoot signs, leave trash etc. Many of the other people that live in close proximity to their career are not shooters and DISLIKE guns/shooters.

Your a GUN OWNER, you are NOT LIKED in this state by MOST of the states residents. Its very simple really. The state is not on your side and neither are your neighbors.

If you really want to do something about it, MOVE THE FUCK AWAY from the other millions of people that all try to share the same resources but hate each other. Hunters, hikers, equestrians, birdwatchers, joggers, bikers, snomobilers, ORVers, jeepers, climbers, pickers, anglers, etc all want a chunk of the woods and MOST of them don't get along or want to share and its only a matter of time before things change drastically.

If you think WASTING your time (meant as part of your short lifespan) fighting a feel good cause is worth anything, you are sadly mistaken. Its wasted effort and hopes and dreams for nothing.

There are three options,,
1 Move to an area with less folks where you can DISCRETELY enjoy your hobby away from the public's EYES and EARS.
2 Move to a state or area where people are LIKE YOU and more likely to participate than oppose your lifestyle.
3 Live next to that good paying job and keep getting fucked in the ass by the rest of your neighbors that want YOU to change.

My ass is to tender for #3.

The problem with the “we should move” statement is I did move here because it was a gun friendly area at one time. Now I had to move again to go where I enjoy my hobby. I do still live in the state, but now it’s out in a very rural area. Why should I have to keep moving. People move into my area and expect me to change to be what they want. How about they move to New York, California or some other anti gun area and leave me alone.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powderman wrote:
This isn't going to be too well received...but here goes....

The reason that we ARE going to lose more shooting areas...is because of people.

Not the WaGunners...every one of you that I have had the honor of shooting with, has been a good, responsible shooter.

You know what ruins it? The trigger tramps. The ones who DON'T shoot responsibly.

The ones who SHOULDN'T be shooting--and should NOT be in possession of firearms in the first place.

These are the people who pack in a ton of trash and LEAVE IT. The ones who spray bullets all over the place and think it's funny. These are the ones who get shooting areas closed down.

As an example, one time I went to Triangle Pit with a couple of other folks from my Department. We set up some targets on portable stands to warm up with some "El Presidente" drills. It was pretty busy, but we set up where we could shoot safely. After we set up targets, we started putting on our gear.

Guess what happened as soon as the jackets came off and badges were visible?

FULLY 3/4 OF THE PEOPLE THERE SUDDENLY FOUND THAT THEY DIDN'T WANT TO SHOOT ANY MORE. They left in a HURRY.

And, THEY ALL LEFT THEIR TRASH BEHIND.

We spread tarps to catch the brass, and took our shot up targets with us. We filled up a couple of trash bags, too.

This is just sad...so, what to do? I recommend supporting your local range and club. Get some shooters in these clubs, and attend the meetings. Make yourself heard! Volunteer time as an RSO, and work the range. Get the board and the membership on track to host some shooting events, and get them open to the ideas of different types of shooting.

Hopefully, this will provide some relief.

Good idea, I’d love to get more people involved and we’ve been trying for years but it’s extremely hard. Hell we can’t even get that many people from this forum to join us. We were actually keeping this areas pretty clean for the past 3 years and the trash was noticeably less every time. Until the fires prevented us from cleaning last year.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next