Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 WA DNR reported on their target shooting planning... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's just shy of a year since we had our meeting with DNR at 4 state wide locations. Their report just came out. They have a new page on Recreational Target Shooting Planning.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/targetshooting

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:bonghit:

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Last edited by Blaze.45 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't heard of that, Blaze. Do you mean like schedule a time to go shooting? That would be terrible! Don't give them that idea!

Or did you mean scheduled one on one meetings to discuss their plans? Haven't heard that either.

Bill

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:bonghit:

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Last edited by Blaze.45 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All I got from that is they aren't doing anything.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, at least the list has been made. It's been 8 months since the meetings. I guess doing nothing is also good news too though.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
All I got from that is they aren't doing anything.
I beg to differ. Target shooting is officially being looked at as an actual recreation now. That is a good start or road map to building more shooting areas.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Yacolt Burn State Forest, our local DNR is very supportive, welcoming and responsive to recreational shooters. They are, however, somewhat restricted as to the amount of involvement they can do. As an example, when I present ideas that may help lessen trash and promote responsible shooting, they are all in favor of the ideas but can't really authorize anything to be done until 'Olympia' says so.

So, I contact 'Olympia'. And I get no response. Zero. Not even a "We hear you and will get back to you soon" type of a response. Several emails later, I get rather frustrated trying to make contact with them. Yet, they say they want our ideas and want to listen to us. Hmmmm. Makes me wonder.

We were told, last year, they will consider our recommendations and get back to us after the fire season. At our meetings they had asked for ideas but didn't want to get into the details about those ideas. Eight months later they say they heard a lot of ideas but no details. So now they need more community meetings. Really? Will they really have the time at those new meetings to discuss the details?

I know there is no one solution to the trashed shooting sites problem. It is going to take a variety of programs and a lot of volunteer effort to raise enough awareness to do some good. Those discussions will take a lot more time than their public meetings can allow. I believe we don't have the time waiting for DNR to listen to us when we should get busy doing something right now like WaGuns has been doing for several years with cleanups and spreading the message. WaGuns is a group of gun owners who are 'spot on' with their efforts. Other groups are getting involved as well, though not as many as needed to have a bigger voice.

That's why I started Trash No Land. To represent responsible gun owners, from all organizations, who care about our kind of recreation. I'm putting together an organization to make that bigger voice to state and federal lands agencies. It's not an easy task but I believe it's well worth the effort.

Yes, MADrtcw, it is a good start. And it's really good they are starting to view target shooting as a viable recreational activity. I'm just a little frustrated with their lack of response when they say they are interested in our input. Makes me kind of doubt that. I suppose we'll see.

Bill

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TNL wrote:
In Yacolt Burn State Forest, our local DNR is very supportive, welcoming and responsive to recreational shooters. They are, however, somewhat restricted as to the amount of involvement they can do. As an example, when I present ideas that may help lessen trash and promote responsible shooting, they are all in favor of the ideas but can't really authorize anything to be done until 'Olympia' says so.

So, I contact 'Olympia'. And I get no response. Zero. Not even a "We hear you and will get back to you soon" type of a response. Several emails later, I get rather frustrated trying to make contact with them. Yet, they say they want our ideas and want to listen to us. Hmmmm. Makes me wonder.

We were told, last year, they will consider our recommendations and get back to us after the fire season. At our meetings they had asked for ideas but didn't want to get into the details about those ideas. Eight months later they say they heard a lot of ideas but no details. So now they need more community meetings. Really? Will they really have the time at those new meetings to discuss the details?

I know there is no one solution to the trashed shooting sites problem. It is going to take a variety of programs and a lot of volunteer effort to raise enough awareness to do some good. Those discussions will take a lot more time than their public meetings can allow. I believe we don't have the time waiting for DNR to listen to us when we should get busy doing something right now like WaGuns has been doing for several years with cleanups and spreading the message. WaGuns is a group of gun owners who are 'spot on' with their efforts. Other groups are getting involved as well, though not as many as needed to have a bigger voice.

That's why I started Trash No Land. To represent responsible gun owners, from all organizations, who care about our kind of recreation. I'm putting together an organization to make that bigger voice to state and federal lands agencies. It's not an easy task but I believe it's well worth the effort.

Yes, MADrtcw, it is a good start. And it's really good they are starting to view target shooting as a viable recreational activity. I'm just a little frustrated with their lack of response when they say they are interested in our input. Makes me kind of doubt that. I suppose we'll see.

Bill

Welcome to WaGuns Bill. This an area (east Grays Harbor) that I recreational shoot and help clean. There is one little pit that I search for brass and occasionally shoot and it was recently cleaned (by whom I do not know). I left trash bags around and cleared an area loaded with tons of shotgun shells so maybe others got the message. I can't be everywhere but I wish I was better informed from local groups in my area.
Thanks for all you do brother!!! :patriot:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safetyā€¯

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]