Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Shooting areas near Bonney Lake, Buckley, Wilkeson 

The shooting area map says that it is under construction so I guess I will kick the dead horse

Is the Greenwater pit still open for shooting? Also is the area above Wilkeson and sunset lake camp still ok to shoot in.

I have some guys that wanna go tomorrow but we don't want to be in the wrong place.

If anyone knows of another place in the area that could be cool too.

thanks

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:27 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns, Tim!

Yes, Greenwater is still open for shooting. The two big spots there are the clearcut on FS7013 (turn right off of FS70) and and then the big pit that's on the right side, farther up FS70.

I'm going to make a separate thread so you'll read it again, but a couple of us met with the Forest Service today to try to figure out a way to keep these areas open. When you go up there, please encourage everyone to keep the area clean (pack it in, pack it out including shot-up targets) and keep safe, including making sure that all of your rounds go into a berm and not into the trees.

Thank you.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:18 pm

absolutely.. I'll bring garbage bags and fill them up with whatever we can before we leave.

Thank you

Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:55 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

TNovasky wrote:
absolutely.. I'll bring garbage bags and fill them up with whatever we can before we leave.

:bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And anything at Wilkinson has been gated off, or other area is a small and short area near the end of forest road.
That long stretch of road that everyone thinks is the local dump/shooting pit, people are now loosing weapons and big tickets. Don't shoot near the various gates either, there might be more than just a few trail cams at each, and cards pulled EVERY couple days, to include times of snow.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just up at FS70 a couple of weeks ago, I prefer the long clearcut you have to walk to, but it's getting pretty overgrown.

If you're heading back out there, hit me up, I try and coordinate with several people which means I don't get out there often.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks for the info guys. The people I went with opted to "drive" up the mountain above sunset lake camp in Wilkeson. The 10-15 minute drive that my buddy said it would take was actually about an Hour and 15 minutes to get up to a very small shooting area... It was not ideal. There was a lot of shooting going on up there in the past however since the jackasses didn't pick anything up for what looks like a long time.

We cleaned up as much as we could but the 2 hour round trip trek up and down the mountain was a big turn off. The overgrowth of the "road" also left some not so fun marks on my Tundra :crybaby: Needless to say I will not be taking his advice on shooting locations again.

With that said I do want to try out fs70 sometime as long as its low on idiots who follow unsafe practices. I also wouldn't mind meeting some of the Waguns crowd, so if anyone is going out and wants some company let me know. I also wouldn't be opposed to going to ranges or Practices that would allow working from a draw for self defense/competition practice.

Thanks

PS. I should have known my buddy's decision making was going to be less then ideal when he asked us who was bringing the beers. We shut that down real quick. Not trying to have an ND accident an hr+ up a freaking mountain.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TNovasky wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. The people I went with opted to "drive" up the mountain above sunset lake camp in Wilkeson. The 10-15 minute drive that my buddy said it would take was actually about an Hour and 15 minutes to get up to a very small shooting area... It was not ideal. There was a lot of shooting going on up there in the past however since the jackasses didn't pick anything up for what looks like a long time.

We cleaned up as much as we could but the 2 hour round trip trek up and down the mountain was a big turn off. The overgrowth of the "road" also left some not so fun marks on my Tundra :crybaby: Needless to say I will not be taking his advice on shooting locations again.

With that said I do want to try out fs70 sometime as long as its low on idiots who follow unsafe practices. I also wouldn't mind meeting some of the Waguns crowd, so if anyone is going out and wants some company let me know. I also wouldn't be opposed to going to ranges or Practices that would allow working from a draw for self defense/competition practice.

Thanks

PS. I should have known my buddy's decision making was going to be less then ideal when he asked us who was bringing the beers. We shut that down real quick. Not trying to have an ND accident an hr+ up a freaking mountain.

I'm either proud of or can tolerate most American rural traditions, but "let's head down to the local gravel pit, drink cheap beer, and shoot guns at whatever" needs to die.

I personally am not going out there for a while, with hunting season almost here I'll get plenty of time out-of-doors holding a rifle (though not much shooting of course). My next outdoor shoot is most likely the annual New Years WaGuns one down past Olympia. You should pencil that one in.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:43 am

Well since greenwater is closed now whats a good location close by that a guy can still take his family to on the morning of xmas eve to go shooting and do some trash pick up before heading home for xmas dinner>?

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:09 pm

I am in the same boat I bring two trash bags up to find all the shooting spots are now posted no shooting.

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:58 pm

All the public shooting areas around here are garbage trash dumps. No surprise they are shut down. Disgusting what people do on public land.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:42 pm

I agree but it sucks for the people who plink responsibly.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]