Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Greenwater and the Seattle Times / King 5 8/2016 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, I was contacted by Evan Bush, of The Seattle Times regarding Greenwater, FS70. He asked a lot about our cleanups, what we see as an issue out there, some of the ways to resolve it and questions about if the residents are over-reacting and if the USFS is doing enough to listen to all parties.

I, of course, supported responsible firearm shooting. I mentioned that the lower clearcut should be adjusted to herd the shooters to face the hill side and not just park along the road and shoot into the trees. We talked about trash, a lot. And how we, as a community, combat that by doing cleanups, educating the shooting public and having signage to get more volunteers. We talked about the few tarnishing the many. That most shooters are responsible, but the acts of a few put us all into the same pot. He asked about how busy that location was and why. I compared it to Seattle and its freeways. Firearm ownership is on the rise, but places to safely shoot are declining. Because of that, you will have more people trying to use the same space. Opening up MORE safe shooting areas would be a much better alternative. I mentioned the pits that closed off of I-90 and how that made people go out to greenwater, that closing pits will not stop recreational shooting.

He said the article should be out end of this week....

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice job, Dan!

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:53 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Way to go, Dan!

Now we wait and see how much gets edited to fit their agenda. "Dan from WaGuns says there are too many shooters and too much trash."

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:08 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

DGM33 wrote:
Way to go, Dan!

Now we wait and see how much gets edited to fit their agenda. "Dan from WaGuns says there are too many shooters and too much trash."

Yhea, the spin always worries me.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just contacted by Martie the head ranger in that area today and guess what. Someone blew something up in the middle of the night and caused a fire off FS7013. Not sure if it was the clear cut that we clean but the fire was about 10 by 13 feet in length. The Crystal River Ranch community is outraged and using this to try and shut down target shooting off 410 once again.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice job, Dan. It sounds like you hit all of the important points . . . and every single one of them is true. No need to lie or embellish. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

MADrtcw wrote:
I was just contacted by Martie the head ranger in that area today and guess what. Someone blew something up in the middle of the night and caused a fire off FS7013. Not sure if it was the clear cut that we clean but the fire was about 10 by 13 feet in length. The Crystal River Ranch community is outraged and using this to try and shut down target shooting off 410 once again.

Sigh... Would be interesting to hear more about this, where it was etc. I saw the email and would think that if there was a danger to the community and to the responders that the LEO on the scene would've handled it. I would also like to see if this was caused by "shooters" or by campers who had a bonfire and there just happened to be shooting nearby.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
MADrtcw wrote:

Sigh... Would be interesting to hear more about this, where it was etc. I saw the email and would think that if there was a danger to the community and to the responders that the LEO on the scene would've handled it. I would also like to see if this was caused by "shooters" or by campers who had a bonfire and there just happened to be shooting nearby.

I sent out a few e-mails asking for more details. Either way campers and target shooters are all the same to the local residents. I also brought up altering the 7013 forest clearing to prevent fires, safer shooting, etc. if they can do what Oregon has done this would be great http://trashnoland.org/lanes.html

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/flying-bullets-target-shooting-trash-rile-greenwater-residents/ Ok the article is out and Chris Hurst is a ...yeah

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
A single officer is assigned to the southern portion of the forest, including the Skykomish, North Bend and Enumclaw areas. He patrols the Greenwater area two days a week.

She had finally got to two LEOs (one for NB/Skyk, one for Greenwater/Enumclaw), and one quit.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

King 5 is doing a report on target shooting sometime after 6:30.
Preview showed a bad garbage pit.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chris Hurst has added his personal email and phone number in the comments if anybody wants to talk to him about his viewpoints. Respectfully, of course.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
Way to go, Dan!

Boy, you nailed that one. No surprise it is a red neck gun toting slam piece.
No real mention of the cleanups the firearms community has done.
"Forest service and Volunteers" There was no way that talking to the Times was going to turn out well.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure you watch the video as well. There is no reasoning with this Chris guy, you can tell he's one tracked minded

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:24 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

He mentions us in what seems like a good light in the comment section.

I will reach out to him next week. If we can stay on the good side of lawmakers as much as possible it may bode well.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next