Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Capitol Forest- Some changes to the honey holes. 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

So today Madpick and I headed up into Capitol forest to shoot at Honey Hole Capitol Forest #1 listed on the map page. Right before Honey Hole Capitol forest #4 we encountered a sign like this. Double layer steel plate cemented into the ground. One of the more elaborate signs I've seen.

It said No shooting for the next 5 miles. Madpick made a note of the milage and we kept driving. Honey Hole #4 is heavily barricaded now with concrete blocks and stumps. It looks like DNR is taking some serious action to shooting here. So we continue the drive. Along the way we also encounter a few marked and blocked areas right along the road, clearly stating "NO SHOOTING". Going higher and higher watching the miles we are just about to the Honey Hole Pit #1 and lucky us... Just over 5 miles to the pit. The photo above is actually from the top right at the corner before the pit, we didnt notice on the way up. On the way back down we stopped also at Honey Hole #2. Sadly this one is also now blocked by rocks, and signed no shooting. One of the signs we saw stated "no shooting, recreational trails". That cooridoor is a busy area for Quads and Mtn Bikers... so I could see the reasoning.

As a result, the upper pit that is usually pretty quiet as I used to hear almost had a line at times. While we were there quite a few people showed up and also even turned away. So advice is to get up there early... It was lots of fun however!

From my memory, the attached map is the 5 mile section marked no shooting.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:45 pm
Profile WWW

shoulda stole...i mean great pics of the sign lol

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is why I keep my shooting where its appreciated. Down town.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am going to take a drive out there and re-visit my spots.... Verify what's been blocked and not. That suuuuucks.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Massivedesign wrote:
I am going to take a drive out there and re-visit my spots.... Verify what's been blocked and not. That suuuuucks.

What, my info isnt good enough? haha.

Make contact with your DNR person and see how far off the road this effects....

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ahh, wankers.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:28 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have emailed my contact at DNR to see what is going on and where shooters can still go.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here we are so far:

My email:
Quote:
Brian,
A few members from our site went up C-Line yesterday and noticed some new signage, very sturdy, very bulletproof signage. We had some questions / clarifications regarding the placement of these. One said no shooting for the next 5 miles; Is that in regards to shooting from the road, or is everything laterally off limits too? One good example is C-5200 (or C-5300, I always forget which), has a plateau shooting area with a big stump in on it. It’s ¼ mile off of C-Line. Or, are you trying to limit the shooting to only the upper quarry/pit?

The reasoning for these signs are clear. With the spring and summer season approaching there will be a lot more people hiking, biking and ATV’ing. We were just wondering where the shooters can safely go as well.

Another reason for this email is to let you know that we are going to start planning some cleanup events up there, and knowing the active shooting areas would help us plan our attack. If we did a large cleanup, is there a way we can coordinate leaving a large pile of bagged trash at the locations and then emailing you, or somebody else, with the location of the pile? We can possibly pack it all down to the Triangle Pit too.

Thanks,
Dan aka Massivedesign
http://www.WaGuns.org

Reply from my DNR guy, Brian:
Quote:
Hi Dan,

I’m going to include Phil Wolff, the Recreation Manager for Capitol Forest. Phil will be able to give you a more definitive answer to your question than I can. Phil, can you get back with Dan on his questions about the target shooting signs along the C-Line?

I’m also including Nick Cronquist. Nick is our volunteer coordinator for the region, and he is the person you will work with on any volunteer events, such as cleanup. Nick can work with you on getting folks signed up as volunteers, as well as help you out with deciding where to focus your time. And we very much appreciate the volunteer time helping to clean things up – thank you!

Brian

Reply from DNR guy, Phil:
Quote:
Dan,

The signage is for the next 5 miles – on any road. In other words yes it covers the C 5000 and spurs off of it. It will also cover a segment of the C7000. As you mentioned there is a high concentration of trails in this corridor and this is why it is signed no target shooting. The upper pit and areas beyond are open for rule abiding target shooting.

Nick will help in the coordination of the clean up day’s - thanks for the offer to help

Phil Wolff

My reply to Phill and crew:
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Phil! So for the most part, the only areas open to "rule abiding" shooting is the upper pit and the triangle pit? Is this going to be a seasonal effort or will the new no-shooting areas be permanent?

Dan

Phil's reply:
Quote:
Dan what I meant was areas outside of the signed area are open to target shooting as long as our Washington Administrative Codes (WAC’s) and other state laws are followed.

Certain types of trail use is allowed year around – so yes the highly concentrated trail area will remain closed to target shooting.

Phil

Still confused, I shot this back to him:
Quote:
So, the 5200 road, with a shooting area 50 yards off the road itself would be open for shooting or would be off limits. Basically, if we shot there, would the men in the Green Ford Pickup's come "talk" to us. "Open for shooting", is in no way endorsing an authorized shooting area by DNR. I know you guys need to be careful in how you word things when it comes to shooting "ranges" and such.

One of the main reasons is because of a map page that I created; rangemap.html has multiple "honey holes" listed in Cap. Forest. I want to make sure that those areas that have been identified are okay to shoot at. I don't want our map showing any areas that are off limits. Can you possibly take a quick look at the map, specifically the "Honey Holes" in the list and let me know if any are in a no-shoot area?

Thanks,
Dan

Response from Phil:
Quote:
The whole 5000 road system is off limits. If I am thinking about the same stump – there is a trail on the other side. We closed this road off a year or so ago. This would be taken in by the 5 mile corridor (the point that you reach the sign and the C line about the 4000 road and then from the top just past the area we call the low bank pit.

We are not authorizing any shooting areas – just communicating the rules.

Thanks for wanting to clarify this information

Phil

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thanks Dan. I would guess its all seasons. mtn bikers ride all year, and hikers could be there, although in all the years biking I hardly ever saw hikers.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Updated with latest communication from DNR. Looks like I'll be taking the C-line spots off the map this afternoon.....

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Good to know. No wonder the top pit was so busy.

For ref here is the DNR map link..
Small printable: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/eng_ ... _final.pdf

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]