Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Range 15 (Ft Lewis) Newest Info (04/23/12) 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I refuse to call it JBLM....

New update for weapons registration

per the email I just received:

Austin, Melvin C CIV USA IMCOM melvin.austin@us.army.mil
8:49 AM (3 minutes ago)

to me
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

Mr. Starks,

Army Regulation 190-11 does require that all privately owned firearms brought onto the installation must be registered with the Provost Marshal’s Office. This includes the recreational shooting ranges and training areas. Attached is an information sheet on our registration procedures and a blank registration form.

I will address the misunderstanding with the Northwest Adventure Center.

Regards,

Mel Austin
Chief, Security & Access Control
Directorate of Emergency Services
Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington 98433
(253) 967-9283 (office)
melvin.austin@us.army.mil

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

SUBJECT: Information on Transport, Storage, and Registration of Privately Owned Weapons (POW) on Joint Base Lewis-McChord

1. REGISTRATION POLICY

a. All privately owned firearms stored or transported on base must be registered with the Provost Marshal’s Office. Persons who live off the base and do not intend to bring their firearms on the base are not required to register.

b. Registrants will complete a version of HJB Form 816 and submit to the weapons registration office at either Waller Hall (Lewis Main) or Building 100 (McChord Field).

c. Military personnel and their family members will be required to complete HJB Fm 816 and have the Unit Commander sign the form. This requirement now applies regardless of the rank of the registrant.

d. DoD Civilians, Military Retirees, and non-affiliated civilians will complete HJB Fm 816-1.

e. Non-affiliated civilians will also be required to undergo annual background screening in order to register to bring their firearms on the base.
((Non-affiliated civilians will need to come in and re-register their weapons every year so a back ground check can be done. If you come in and it is found that your registration is out of tolerance, you will be turned away.))

2. PERSONS PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING FIREARMS (AR 190-11)

a. Any person convicted of a felony.

b. Any person convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (Lautenberg Amendment).

c. Any person who is a fugitive from justice.

d. Any person who has been convicted in any court of the possession, use, or sale of marijuana, or dangerous, or narcotic drugs, to include nonjudicial punishment under article 15 UCMJ.

e. Any person who is declared mentally incompetent.

3. TRANSPORT POLICY

a. Firearms may only be transported by the most direct route to and from hunting areas, dog training areas, target ranges, and other authorized locations as designated by the Joint Base Commander. No stops are authorized.

b. Firearms transported in a vehicle will be secured in the trunk. If the vehicle does not have a trunk firearms will be stored inside a container and out of sight. Firearms will not be readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle. Ammunition will be stored separately from firearms.

c. Transportation of loaded firearms is prohibited.

d. Persons transporting firearms through base access points will alert access control personnel to the fact that firearms are in the vehicle and will have the completed registration document ready for inspection. Access control personnel may elect to inspect the vehicle and weapons for compliance with Army and Joint Base policy.

f. Use of trigger locks or other security devices is encouraged during transport to prevent and deter theft.

g. Concealed carry permits are not valid on JBLM.

4. POLICY FOR STORAGE IN AND REMOVAL FROM UNIT AREAS

a. Storage of firearms in unaccompanied personnel housing (barracks, dormitories) is prohibited.

b. Storage of firearms in privately owned vehicles on the installation is prohibited.

c. Unit Commanders will establish policy for storage and removal of POW from unit arms rooms in accordance with JBLM Regulation 190-11.

5. POLICY ON STORAGE IN FAMILY HOUSING

a. Firearms will be stored in a locked container or secured with a trigger lock.

b. Ammunition will be stored in a separate locked container.

6. REGISTRATION PROCEDURES:

a. All registrants must complete HJB Form 816 and submit to the registration office located at Waller Hall on JBLM-Main or Building 100, JBLM-McChord Field. All active duty personnel and their family members seeking registration must obtain the unit commander’s signature on the Form 816.

b. Completed and signed registration forms may be submitted in person or via mail to: Department of the Army, Vehicle Registration (ATTN: DES), Box 339500, MS-77, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington 98433-9500.

c. Incomplete or illegible registration forms will be returned without action.

d. Persons registering in person will receive a temporary registration form which is valid for 30 days. All registrants will receive a permanent registration by return mail within 14 days of receipt of the registration application.

e. Do not bring firearms into the registration office.

7. WASHINGTON STATE REQUIREMENTS. These provisions are provided for your awareness to assist you in complying with state requirements when carrying, using, or transporting firearms off base.

a. Loaded pistols may not be carried in a vehicle unless a person has a license to carry a concealed pistol. In these cases the pistol must be on the licensee’s person. If the licensee is away from the vehicle the pistol may be left there if the pistol is concealed from view and the vehicle is locked. (RCW 9.41.050)

b. Unloaded pistols may be transported in a vehicle if enclosed in an opaque case or secure wrapper. (RCW 9.41.060)

c. Rifles and shotguns, including muzzle-loading firearms, may not be carried in a motor vehicle while loaded. (RCW 77.15.460)

d. Certain persons are prohibited from possessing firearms (e.g. those convicted of a felony, or those convicted of a domestic violence offense)(RCW 9.41.040). Further information is available at http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.

e. All personnel authorized access to JBLM are reminded that the more stringent requirements imposed by Army and Base Command policy apply any time you bring firearms on base.

This information was compiled by the Security and Access Control Division of the Provost Marshal Office. Further inquiries should be directed to the Supervisor, Vehicle and Weapons Registration Section, 967-3658 or 967-1914.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bummer

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Yea, I guess I consider myself lucky for not getting pulled over the few times I've been there. I'll just continue to head the other direction to Evergreen.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please know that these are "relatively" new changes as of the start of this year. So whatever your history of Range 15 has changed in the worse ways.

Firearm registration
Needing a sponsor, etc.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:25 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

oldkim wrote:
Please know that these are "relatively" new changes as of the start of this year. So whatever your history of Range 15 has changed in the worse ways.

Firearm registration
Needing a sponsor, etc.

Honestly, since finding WaGuns I havent had the need to travel to Range15.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:26 pm
Profile WWW

this doesn't shock me

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition......

You do not need a sponsor to access the post to register your weapons.... HOWEVER once they are registered you MUST have a sponsor to gain entry through any of the manned gates to access Range 15. Without a sponsor you must drive all the way around and enter through the East gate off Highway 507.

Enjoy......

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:40 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

New information has come to light on this. Thanks to a member on the OpenCarry forum.

Quote:
Effective at the start of summer-
.active duty military are required to get a yearly security clearance and permission letter from their CO they must keep with them when they go to the range.

.retirees will be required to have a security clearance check every 5 years.

.All firearms brought onto the range by civlians must first be registered with fort lewis (serial number etc...). you must have a security clearance check, you must have a sponsor present who is active or retired military. all firearms must be transported in locked cases unloaded and seperated from ammunition in a location unaccessable to the passengers and vehicle operator.

Quote:
Here we go, from the horse's mouth so to speak. The guy there knew nothing about any security clearances, but they are saying that it is no longer open to the public. To use the range, you need to have your firearm registered on post (it's a process) and a military member may sponsor up to 2 civillians. However, remember though, any gun you want to shoot there is going to have to be registered. I don't see this lasting real long. Unless folks just give up. There is an appeals process, but with the military, it takes a lot of time.

Mon May 21, 2012 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Well, Im glad I got to shoot there a couple times. Evergreen is where its at!

Mon May 21, 2012 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's really sad. :-(

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon May 21, 2012 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just started a new project on JBLM and was wondering about useing a range on base, guess thats out.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Ft Lewis pisses me off.

I don't go shooting there just for the fact you have to register, and they do not allow conceal carry.

We saw just how effective the no conceal carry policy was on Ft Hood,TX in 2009.

Besides Capital Forest is so much better to shoot, and much more options.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]