Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:55 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Need help getting 50 cal allowed at PSC 

I recently joined the Poulsbo Sportsman's Club in Western WA after the KRRC lost a lawsuit which prohibits gun use on their property. While the new range is nice one of their rules is no 50 BMG. It extends out to 200 yards which I believe is a bit short for 50 BMG, but still entirely suitable. Talking to some of the range officers reveals that they feel the 50 BMG is too loud and damages the berm too much. I was also told by one range officer that a 200 yard range is just not the right place for a 50 BMG. For now it does not matter why certain people feel a 50 BMG is not suitable; but I need to get a proposal together to present to their executive board when I make my pitch for a rule change.

I want to suggest making a bullet trap to reduce berm damage and a shooting box to reduce noise. I made a shooting box for 50 BMG rifles for the KRRC before they were shutdown; it worked, but there were other issues that resulted in the range shutdown. I have a letter from the ATF saying that a shooting box is not legally a silencer, and a Washington State Attorney General opinion that noise abatement devices and structures not attached to the firearm are not "devices for suppressing a firearm". It is a misdemeanor to use unregistered suppressors on guns in WA. A local DA tried to tell me that my shooting box was illegal due to the dangerous weapons RCW (9.41.250), but the AG shut him up with his opinion.

What I need.

Ideas for a bullet trap. I need something that will catch a 700 grain steel core bullet moving 2800 fps. It does not have to be very large, maybe a cube 2 feet on all sides. I am thinking of a metal box with 1/2 inch steel mounted inside at a 45 degree (or shallower) angle to deflect bullets into the ground and retain them. I have a wire feed welder I can use, I also have access to a stick arc welder. Hopefully I can find scrap steel to make it from.

I have also heard of rubber compounds that stop high speed bullets. Maybe a box filled with that stuff along with a self sealing front like the orange self sealing targets I see at sporting goods stores.

A better shooting box to attenuate noise. I made a shooting box from three foam filled steel doors bolted together to make an 80" long triangle. The rear end had 1" plywood with a small shooting port into which the barrel was inserted. While it eliminated the blast felt from the sides and back and reduced the harsh noise level, the muzzle blast slowly beat it apart. I need something stronger. A 55 gallon drum is going to ring like a bell unless I coat it with something. Anything with foam inside it is not good as the brake will rip it to shreds

I need the opinion of recognized 50 BMG experts who can say whether or not a 200 yard range is suitable for these rifles. My opinion will be self serving and not enough as I am not a recognized expert in on any firearm type. I recall hearing that some of the top 50 BMG shooters in the country used smaller 200 yards ranges for load development in between the 1000 yard competitions.

I am a new guy at the club, so I need to tread lightly. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Randy Bragge
(360)440-5889
ranb40@yahoo.com

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]