Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:18 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Which candidate best supports shooting on public lands? 

Got my WA primary ballot today, one of the positions up for vote is the public lands commissioner. Anybody have any inside scoop as to which candidate will best represent our interests in shooting on public lands? So many good gravel pits are gated off and need to be opened up.
Primary candidates:

Hilary Franz (Incumbent) (Democratic Party)
Frank Wallbrown (Democratic Party)
Maryam Abasbarzy (Republican Party)
Sue Kuehl Pederson (Republican Party)
Stephen Sharon (Republican Party)
Cameron Whitney (Republican Party)
Kelsey Reyes (Libertarian Party)

Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

anyone without a D behind the name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

OH and OP how about emailing and asking since they want that position?

Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Thanks, will do!

Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Emails sent, will post the replies as they come in.

Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:33 pm

I'm very open to the idea, yes. Definitely I want to work with you and understand the whole issue before making a hard decision, but I'm not at all opposed to it.

Steve

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 4:24 PM Mark wrote:

Good afternoon Steve,

I am wondering what your position is on target shooting on public lands? If you are elected Commissioner of Public Lands, would you be willing to work with target shooters to get locked gates open that provide access to abandon gravel pits? I think the ONLY people in the world who find beauty in an abandon gravel pit are target shooters.

Thanks,

Mark

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:54 pm

Hi Mark! Thanks for the question! I'm a lifelong member of the NRA. My dad, grandfather and 5 uncles were hunters, usually in the Blue Mountains near Waitsburg, where my great grandmother lived. I recently took up skeet shooting, which I enjoy.

I like your idea of using abandoned gravel pits for target practice. I'd have to look into any impacts to other uses nearby. So I just can't give you a definite answer at this time, but I can say I would not oppose the idea. I think our Public Lands need to be used for the PUBLIC!

I appreciate your question, and I hope you will keep asking.

Sincerely,
Sue Kuehl Pederson

Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:30 PM
To: sue@citizensforsue.com <sue@citizensforsue.com>
Subject: Commissioner of Public Lands question?

Good afternoon Sue,

I am wondering what your position is on target shooting on public lands? If you are elected Commissioner of Public Lands, would you be willing to work with target shooters to get locked gates open that provide access to abandon gravel pits? I think the ONLY people in the world who find beauty in an abandon gravel pit are target shooters.

Thanks,

Mark

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome job mark, I encourage everyone else to do the same for your area

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for doing the legwork on this!

Sue Pederson sounds promising.

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sue did a copy/paste back to me. Here's my question and her answer... (she shot me back a blank!)

Hi Sue,

In an effort to learn more about the candidates running for Public Lands Commissioner, may I ask for you thoughts on Recreational shooting?

Here's my loaded questions. Don't shoot blanks back at me, but give me your honest opinion.

Do you see target shooting on public lands as a viable type of recreation in Washington's future?

If so, would you work toward improving the activity with enhanced education, information and improved places to shoot to help foster responsibility and stewardship?

If not, would you be more inclined to close down or limit target shooting on public lands? What do you think would be strong arguments for closing it down?

Thank you,

Bill Cogley

Her response:

Hi Bill! Thank you for these great questions. Here is what I told another voter with similar questions:

“I'm a lifelong member of the NRA. My dad, grandfather and 5 uncles were hunters, usually in the Blue Mountains near Waitsburg, where my great grandmother lived. I recently took up skeet shooting, which I enjoy.

“I like your idea of using abandoned gravel pits for target practice. I'd have to look into any impacts to other uses nearby. So I just can't give you a definite answer at this time, but I can say I would not oppose the idea. I think our Public Lands need to be used for the PUBLIC!”

That voter was asking about gravel pits, which I think makes sense. You added the questions about sharing information and education, which is great. Safe gun ownership is a wonderful goal.

Thanks for your interest.

Sincerely,
Sue Kuehl Pederson

So my deduction is that she's not up to speed on what's going on with the target shooting issue, but, I'm sure she would learn soon. It is rather positive that she is okay with guns and shooting on public lands, but I've also heard that kind of reply many times from the current admin, and nothing has been done.

So, I'll check the other candidates and see what they say.

Bill

Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:03 pm

I would 100% be willing to work with target shooters. This is a fairly new subject to me, but I feel that if target shooters are sensitive to the environment and the animals within, then there is no reason not to let target shooters utilize unused space within our public lands. With that being said, I would want to do a little more research on this with some ecologists and biologists to better understand the impact.

Frank Wallbrown
Democratic Candidate for Washington Commissioner of Public Lands

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:32 PM, Mark wrote:

> Good afternoon Frank,
>
> I am wondering what your position is on target shooting on public lands? If you are elected Commissioner of Public Lands, would you be willing to work with target shooters to get locked gates open that provide access to abandon gravel pits? I think the ONLY people in the world who find beauty in an abandon gravel pit are target shooters.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm... Frank, sounds like the same thing we currently have! More delay tactics. I'm not excited yet!

Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve Sharon responded to my questions today...

Hi Bill, and thanks for the great question.

I support the 2nd amendment. I think all good law abiding americans should own guns, and know how to use them. No better deterrent to crime than an armed, morally responsible population.

Next, how can gun owners know how to use them and be an accurate shot if they don't practice. Next, where do they practice? So, in my view it's a necessity not only to make a place where it can be safely practiced, but encourage people to do so. I'm willing to increase the number of available legal public lands available for safe use of guns. People need to get outside more. I have a plan to encourage people to reconnect with the great outdoors and more target shooting centers falls in line with my ideas.

God Bless you in what you do, and all your loved ones,

Steve

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:40 am

Mark,
I actually just got home from shooting on public lands up in Darrington Washington. As for abandoned gravel pits. I am a strong believer in property rights. It would depend on if the land is privately owned! I'm not interested in violation of owners property rights.

Cameron Whitney

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020, 4:22 PM Mark wrote:

Good afternoon Cameron,

I am wondering what your position is on target shooting on public lands? If you were elected Commissioner of Public Lands, would you be willing to work with target shooters to get locked gates open that provide access to abandon gravel pits? I think the ONLY people in the world who find beauty in an abandon gravel pit are target shooters.

Thanks,

Mark

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not so cleverly avoiding the question, Cameron.

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:22 pm

I didn't receive anymore responses to my email from the other candidates, looks like Sue will be up against Hillary in the General. Hopefully everyone will get behind Sue.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]