Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Greenwater still open? 

Rutilate wrote:
Are the upper pits closed because of snow? How far do you have to hike in to the lower shooting area that we cleaned up?

Roads are closed but you can still hump it to the rock pits. The first one in is roughly a mile from the info board/turn around point.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dillon91 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
Another interesting piece of info: King County Sheriff does not authorize USFS and DNR LE to enforce any state/county laws within King County. 34 of the 39 counties in WA do, but King County does not. It must be some union thing. (some parts of FS70 area are King, some are Pierce, and if you go far enough, some are Kittitas.)

The Greenwater River is the county boundary. Unless you take a left and cross a bridge somewhere, you should be in Peirce County.

The counties sometimes trade off on stuff (or try and push off to each other) depending on availability. The boundary down there isn't treated as rigorously as you would think. Depends on what type of call though. But like I said, there is plenty of the road network is in King County (and some good shooting areas).

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks for the updates! I couldn't get ahold of anyone who's been up there the last week or two. I'm gonna head up there just after sunup tomorrow and try out the new SBR and Suppressor I just got my stamps back for. It's a Saturday tomorrow, but hopefully there won't be a crowd by the time I'm there. I sure wish they wouldn't close the 70 down so low... I love being up there. I'll be in a blue Tacoma if anyone else is gonna be around.

Scratch that.. I've never been to the Waddell Creek or Elbe pits - so I'm gonna have to guess which one will be less busy when the sun comes up. My gut says Elbe will be better because it's further from the city. Hmmmmm...

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

devldogs55 wrote:
Thanks for the updates! I couldn't get ahold of anyone who's been up there the last week or two. I'm gonna head up there just after sunup tomorrow and try out the new SBR and Suppressor I just got my stamps back for. It's a Saturday tomorrow, but hopefully there won't be a crowd by the time I'm there. I sure wish they wouldn't close the 70 down so low... I love being up there. I'll be in a blue Tacoma if anyone else is gonna be around.

Scratch that.. I've never been to the Waddell Creek or Elbe pits - so I'm gonna have to guess which one will be less busy when the sun comes up. My gut says Elbe will be better because it's further from the city. Hmmmmm...

Elbe can turn into a shit show, quickly. Of course the amount of snow and cold weather will dictate the level of shit show of course.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:23 pm

Yeah, I figured as much. I haven't done any "scouting" in about two months - so I have no idea what the snow looks like in either area right now. I am guessing the Cap Forest pits get busy early too.. Are any of the Cap Forest pits hard to reach right now because of snow? I've got 4wd and two sets of chains - I was looking on the map at various sites there, but I feel like the road itself will be a shit show if there's snow.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the triangle pit is clear, there is snow after the top pit off Capital Peak Road, I wouldnt recommened going passed the first pit, the snow is deep and icy.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm planning on going up Sunday with friends for a little bang bang. Thanks for the update.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:57 am

I ended up going to the pit out in Cap Forest that day. I went to the pit that's just after the "no shooting next 5 miles" sign. It was great - got there early enough and I was able to snag a great spot in there. I passed right by the triangle pit on the way up - too many people. I'll be back up there soon.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks for the info about the road closure, but I'm sorry, I'm still confused: Where along FS70 is the road closed? Perhaps a Google Maps link to the closure location? Will we need showshoes or skis to get in to one of the pits? Will I need sno-park permits for our 2 vehicles?

I'm taking some friends up to plink on Sunday morning before the super bowl. We don't mind walking, but some are from out of town and I want to be prepared with backpackspacks, snowshoes, etc if needed.

For reference, the 2 stars on the attached map are where we cleaned up the pits in October: 1 is the pit where the parking is in the tree line and the clearcut goes up the hill, and 2 is the higher elevation huge open gravel pit where the parking is behind ecology blocks and the gravel pit fans out to a wide 2-level target area.
1: https://www.google.com/maps/place/47%C2 ... 70cf07ead8
2: https://www.google.com/maps/place/47%C2 ... 00f3447b6d

Attachment:
20160201_162206 - Google Maps - Internet Explorer.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:43 pm

I could be wrong because I haven't actually checked where it's closed this year - but this is where it's been closed in past years. I went up to the pits I labeled as "Shooting Clearcut" last weekend and the gates are closed but it's a very short walk.. a couple hundred feet maybe. You could walk to the "Greenwater Pit", but that would be a good uphill walk with all your guns and ammo.

I usually see it close at two different places in the winter. The snowpack closure I labeled is the one that I see get closed when there's a lot of snow and for a shorter total length of time. The other one is further back on FS70 and it's actually got a parking lot and a sign there year-round. Once some of the snow melts, they might open up the one I labeled and keep it closed farther back. Last year, the gate I labeled didn't even stay locked for that long because of the minimal snow.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:29 pm

Wow, thank you very much for the information!

I suspect we will be lazy and make the short walk to the 'Shooting clearcut', but I will check where exactly the closure is on Sunday and report back.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if gate closed and you go around, hope they dont do enforcement. especially if its elk migration.

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Good point Ops. I will call today and ask if the 7013 road closure for elk migration is just for vehicles and if it's OK to walk to the clearcut and shoot.

It looks like NF-70 is typically plowed to the Pyramid Creek sno-park, which is at the 70/7060 junction right before NF-70 crosses Pyramid creek, past the 70/7030 junction and 1.6mi before the 70/7065 junction.

For future reference:
Greenwater/Yakima Sno-Parks
Pyramid Creek Sno-park map
SR410 area road closures

Here are the relevant game management links:
Greenwater Elk Forage Management Project
Map showing unit 26 off of NF-7013 overlaying the clearcut shooting area

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:42 pm

I just talked to Shane at the Enumclaw Ranger station and he said it is ok to walk in to the clearcut on 7013 and shoot, just no motorized access.

He also said that the NF-70 is currently plowed to the Pyramid Creek sno-park at the NF-7060 junction.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:14 pm

Sounds in line with what Martie Schramm told me of none of the traditional ranges being closed.

Thinking about going down Saturday.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3