Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:38 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Glacier Gun Club - Olympia 

This is the gun club I belonged to before moving out here: http://www.whistlingpinesgunclub.com/

It set a pretty high benchmark which I have yet to see surpassed of the facilities I have been to here. Bullseye is at the bottom of the list. I visited the Shelton one and was actually more comfortable there than at Bullseye, for the record I went to Bullseye once about 8 years ago and haven't been back. The Marksman in Puyallup has been the best within a reasonable drive for me but still doesn't compare to the club from Colorado. At the time they only had the inaugural facility, they added the second one a couple years ago.

Though I don't have a problem with membership only, keeps the riff-raff out, I'm having a little difficulty in dropping the bones on this. Maybe in a couple of months I can feel more comfortable, financially, but the number of memberships is limited. I did meet and talk to them at the November gunshow and they said something about a second facility in Hawks Prairie but nothing on a timetable. That would make things too hard to pass up.

Still, though I'm not into cigars, I don't think I'll need the "exclusivity" of a Summit membership if/when I do decide to jump into this pool. I wish things were a bit more settled for me financially so I could just do this without worry. Fingers crossed that there will still be memberships available when I can. Pistol calibers only is a bit disappointing though, the club in Colorado would allow anything up to 416 Rigby.

At the gunshow they did say they would allow AR's in pistol calibers on "AR Day". Perhaps if anyone could ask and report back: find out when the Lacey facility will be available? If they do allow 500 S&W, would they allow 50 Beowulf when they have AR day? What is their minimum age for shooters (with appropriate supervision of course)? Thanks guys for the thread and the recent updates.

Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfection is an Ideal and thus cannot exist in the real world. To seek perfection is to set yourself up for failure. Instead, strive for Excellence. Excellence is an attainable goal - Coach George Yamamoto, Mililani High School, RIP

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you get in on one of the lower levels it seems a rather cheap way for an enthusiast to go shooting on short notice, not have to worry about other idiots, network, not have to travel up into the woods etc.

Its not a huge facility and since the membership is limited (as well it should be for a small facility) one should have plenty of opportunity to loose the lead. I asked MIke about future facilities and while he didn't say never gonna happen I don't know that hes in a hurry to set up another just yet. I kind of ran some number through my head and the model on this smaller facility sure make it seem very easily financially viable ( Not a venture Mike would embark on if the financials were not stellar) so I don't see how this would not scale up. It would certainly have to be bigger to cover the cost of the real estate since that is kinda already taken care of by the T Brothers spirits. So it would not surprise me to see another in the future and hawks prairie area wouldn't be a bad spot

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:25 pm

There certainly would be plenty of placement options, with Cabelas and Sports Authority and even Walky World and Big 5 selling not only firearms but ammo as well. Population wise, it would be where a lot of military folks live and fill a gap for a suitable range facility where there currently is none within 45 minutes to an hour drive. For convenience sake at a minimum it would be nearly a no brainer for a business opportunity. The Colorado club used prefab concrete wall sections to speed up building the facility once they got all their permits in order. Modular construction was indeed quick and reduced costs.

Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfection is an Ideal and thus cannot exist in the real world. To seek perfection is to set yourself up for failure. Instead, strive for Excellence. Excellence is an attainable goal - Coach George Yamamoto, Mililani High School, RIP

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Didn't see the info on their website so I co tacted them about their hours.

"We are open Mon-Thurs 10am-9pm​ Fri-Sat 10am-10pm and Sun 11am-7pm"

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.theolympian.com/news/busines ... 70143.html

Story in the local paper about Glacier.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a little late to the party, but I pulled the trigger tonight. Quite literally.

As an update, here's what I learned;

I was told they've sold about 900 memberships. All 300 lockers are taken by the 'Summit' members. At this level dues are locked in for life, the only level that has that benefit. This is also the only level that has access to the cigar lounge. Since there are no more lockers available they are offering a 'Summit' level membership without the lockers for $40/month instead of $50. I'm on the wait list for a locker.

I intended to go for the 'Rainier' membership at $30/month, but I liked the cigar lounge. And since dues will surely rise in the future decided the Summit membership was a good idea. It is a considerable investment, but I guess I justified it in my mind.
FYI- One can upgrade or downgrade their membership at any time if they choose.

Seemed like nice folks. I didn't wear a belt today, and in spite of my baggy jeans they let me join. I'll try to do better next time..

I happened to have my new Ruger LCP with laser sight and a box of ammo, so shot it for the first time. Fed a couple mags through it and managed to get it adjusted enough to hit the black at 20' before they closed up tonight. It's a pretty nice place. Should be fun! :thumbsup2:

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Pulled the trigger on a membership this week. More to get in the door for the eventual Hawks Prairie location. The current location is just fine, but having a full service dedicated facility would be preferable, at least IMO. There is nothing really wrong with the facility. I was spoiled with my previous Gun Club experience(link in my post at the top of this page) and it set a pretty high benchmark in my mind. That gun Club opened their second facility on the west side of Colorado Springs a couple of years ago and it has a couple of 100yd rifle lanes within as well as the pistol bays.

I haven't shot at Glacier yet but I did bring a coworker there and gave him a quick tour. I'll eventually work in with my rotating shift schedule some shooting times and can foresee the need for additional guest passes already. Looking forward to shooting more often and without weather infringements. Now I just have to find a new location to shoot my .338WinMag as it is no longer allowed at Range 15.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Growler67 wrote:
Pulled the trigger on a membership this week. More to get in the door for the eventual Hawks Prairie location. The current location is just fine, but having a full service dedicated facility would be preferable, at least IMO. There is nothing really wrong with the facility. I was spoiled with my previous Gun Club experience(link in my post at the top of this page) and it set a pretty high benchmark in my mind. That gun Club opened their second facility on the west side of Colorado Springs a couple of years ago and it has a couple of 100yd rifle lanes within as well as the pistol bays.

I haven't shot at Glacier yet but I did bring a coworker there and gave him a quick tour. I'll eventually work in with my rotating shift schedule some shooting times and can foresee the need for additional guest passes already. Looking forward to shooting more often and without weather infringements. Now I just have to find a new location to shoot my .338WinMag as it is no longer allowed at Range 15.

Range in hawks prairie? Did I miss something?

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The owners have said that if they sell out the 1000 memberships they will strongly consider another range in the Hawks Prairie area.
They also said members would have reciprocal privileges at both.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ive talked to Mike at length about future locations including rifle and hawks prairie area is a possibility. And yes I was told reciprocity would be part of the deal

Financials will certainly be a bit different on another, and bigger facility but knowing mike he has already spent some time penciling the financials and if its been mentioned as a possibility I wont be at all surprised when its built

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:35 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I may be headed there today at lunch to pew pew

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:46 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand there are about 30 memberships left, then sold out!

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:41 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

gscott wrote:

I was there yesterday! Might go again tomorrow.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
gscott wrote:

I was there yesterday! Might go again tomorrow.

What is their Guest policy such as for family members? I do not for see my Son and Wife needing a full membership but they would shoot some on occasion. Basically is it an individual membership for you to go shoot only?
Thanks.
:wavey:

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Sun May 01, 2016 4:55 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's an individual membership, but they do have family days.

Sun May 01, 2016 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next