Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Oso, WA Shooting pit 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FMJ 911 wrote:
I don't think a truckload of rednecks are going to show up with a dozen broken TV's and 10,000 rounds of ammo, and fill up that place again.

You are an optimist. That's exactly what happened to the Sultan Pit. If not TV's it was old pallets, Milk Jugs, and yes, groceries.

The problem with Watermelons, Cantaloupe, and Coconuts is the flies. Sure it makes a neat splash and is almost like hitting a real living target. But then all the crap that's left lying around generates almost as big a cloud of flies as a pile of horse crap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:14 am

I'll check the weather report as Nov 5th nears. Maybe it will be just my Mom and I going up there. My Dad, for some odd reason, Doesn't like to go shooting with "Strangers", and I'm sure he'll opt out for a Clean 'n' Shoot activity.

Also, there is only room for 1 or 2 cars to park at most(the road broadens out just a little bit) and if 3 trucks show up, there won't be room for everyone. Bring Boots, as it's a gravel/sand pit, and a walking stick or iron rake.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:21 pm

it would be fun to get as many of us together to go shooting one weekend

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Just went up to the pit with Rainyday, There was a lot more garbage than I first thought. Took 5 full garbage bags and several buckets full of spent shotshells out of there.

It's going to take more work to get it done, but we put quite a dent in it for now.

If we can get 3 or more people together, then we might have this one in the bag!

Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My grandson is coming home from "Basic" in a week. He wants to go shooting so maybe we'll drive up there. By now he's no doubt trained in "picking stuff up" so maybe we can take a few bags full away too. Might bring a rake.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:02 pm

deadshot2 wrote:
My grandson is coming home from "Basic" in a week. He wants to go shooting so maybe we'll drive up there. By now he's no doubt trained in "picking stuff up" so maybe we can take a few bags full away too. Might bring a rake.

Most of the garbage up there is: Broken beer bottles, Shattered TV & Computer guts, rusty tin cans, Milk Jugs, and worst of all, 1,000's of spent shotgun shells that are very slippery, and can cause falls within the pit itself.

I brought Five 30-gallon Garbage bags, a single 5-gallon bucket, Shovel, Tine Rake, and a Stiff "Iron" Rake. Heavy rubber Gloves and Boots are required.

"AG" as I call it, is not entirely suitable for High-Power rifles (.30-06, .308, 8mm, etc). No doubt those guns could be shot there, the range is too short to really make good use of those guns. This is more of a "Pistol/Shotgun/Intermediate Rifle" range. The biggest things you'd want to shoot would be AK's, AR's, Mini's, etc. For example, you could set up a shooting gallery, and blast away with an M1 Carbine, or you could bring out a Mini-14 and do magazine dumps with ease. I even found evidence of people doing Trap shooting up there.

This place is more of a "Come to judge it for yourself" type thing. I can't tell any of you whether you'd like it or not, that's for you to decide.

Let's set up another day to clean up that place. And the road to get up there is iffy, so bring a 4WD or something that does good in gravely mud.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FMJ 911 wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

Most of the garbage up there is: Broken beer bottles, Shattered TV & Computer guts, rusty tin cans, Milk Jugs, and worst of all, 1,000's of spent shotgun shells that are very slippery, and can cause falls within the pit itself.

I brought Five 30-gallon Garbage bags, a single 5-gallon bucket, Shovel, Tine Rake, and a Stiff "Iron" Rake. Heavy rubber Gloves and Boots are required.

"AG" as I call it, is not entirely suitable for High-Power rifles (.30-06, .308, 8mm, etc). No doubt those guns could be shot there, the range is too short to really make good use of those guns. This is more of a "Pistol/Shotgun/Intermediate Rifle" range. The biggest things you'd want to shoot would be AK's, AR's, Mini's, etc. For example, you could set up a shooting gallery, and blast away with an M1 Carbine, or you could bring out a Mini-14 and do magazine dumps with ease. I even found evidence of people doing Trap shooting up there.

This place is more of a "Come to judge it for yourself" type thing. I can't tell any of you whether you'd like it or not, that's for you to decide.

Let's set up another day to clean up that place. And the road to get up there is iffy, so bring a 4WD or something that does good in gravely mud.

Sounds like what I'm looking for. A place to use my shorter range weapons. Most of the managed ranges don't allow a full magazine in an AR or rapid fire for pistols.

This is right along Lake Cavanaugh road isn't it. As I recall it's always been unpaved at the "Oso end". Unpaved around here means muddy gravel at this time of the year :) Might help keep the "ghetto gunners" away with their lowered and loud rides.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:50 am

deadshot2 wrote:

Sounds like what I'm looking for. A place to use my shorter range weapons. Most of the managed ranges don't allow a full magazine in an AR or rapid fire for pistols.

This is right along Lake Cavanaugh road isn't it. As I recall it's always been unpaved at the "Oso end". Unpaved around here means muddy gravel at this time of the year :) Might help keep the "ghetto gunners" away with their lowered and loud rides.

Yes, that's the road exactly! It is paved the first 1.5 Miles from Hwy 530, then it turns to gravel. It gets sticky about 300 feet before "AG". I'd say the biggest inherent flaw with the Oso pit is Parking. There's room for 2 Cars max. The pit is somewhat narrow, so 3-4 shooters max also.

I don't have to be there if anyone wants to go up there. It's certainly not "My" pit, it belongs to all of us. If you have a date in mind to go up there for a "Clean 'n' Shoot" then lets work on it.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FMJ 911 wrote:

Yes, that's the road exactly! It is paved the first 1.5 Miles from Hwy 530, then it turns to gravel. It gets sticky about 300 feet before "AG". I'd say the biggest inherent flaw with the Oso pit is Parking. There's room for 2 Cars max. The pit is somewhat narrow, so 3-4 shooters max also.

I don't have to be there if anyone wants to go up there. It's certainly not "My" pit, it belongs to all of us. If you have a date in mind to go up there for a "Clean 'n' Shoot" then lets work on it.

The "date" will depend on my Grandson. He said he wanted to go shooting but he also said he'd be spending time with his girlfriend. Knowing how Army guys are, he'll probably be trying to "stock up" if you know what I mean :)) :))

He'll find out that my old First Sergeant's wisdom still holds true. He said "Sex is something you can get really behind in but then can catch up the quickest on". :-bd

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was out there a few weeks back and filled up a rubber tub full of junk. I leave anything wood there, just plastic, steel and unbroken glass.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Xirxious wrote:
I was out there a few weeks back and filled up a rubber tub full of junk. I leave anything wood there, just plastic, steel and unbroken glass.

Excellent! thumbsup

Soon that place will be clean, and safe for all to use!

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:07 pm

WARNING! I tried to go up to the Oso pit yesterday, and just about lost my life. The road leading up there was covered in slush and snow, and the road looked wider than it actually was. I yielded to some people coming down the hill, and the truck just about went over a 50-foot embankment. I had to get a guy with a 1-Ton Shop Truck to "Unstuck" my truck.

My word of advice? If you're thinking about going up to the Oso pit, Don't! Not until all the snow up there melts at least.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow man . . . that really sucks.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Well, With spring just a few months away, I was thinking about going up to "AG" Via the "Death Road"!

Anyone nearby want to join in on some clean-up work and perhaps some shooting? Then down the road in Arlington is a really nice Mexican Food Restaurant where the portions are big and the food is good!

Any takers?

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've never been there, and "Death Road" sounds a little disturbing . . . but in general, I'd be up for a clean-up day and some Mexican food!

If you settle on a date, let me know!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next