Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Shooting on Public/private property 
Banned

Where I grew up, all I had to do was drive 10-15 minutes at most to be outside the city enough to be free to shoot the hell out of whatever bottle, cans, or whatever else was around with impunity.
Also any friends I had who lived even a little bit outside the city and had some room to spare on their property could shoot targets from their back porch as long as it was reasonably safe to do so. :snipersmilie: :peep:

So, I was wondering what the city, county and state laws are about where you can discharge firearms outside of designated ranges.

PMME

Sun May 05, 2013 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of cities have severe restrictions on shooting within their boundaries, to the point where you are better off just going to a designated range and paying the fee. You can shoot on state and some federal land and a lot of people do that around Seattle - check out the map linked at the top of the page and look for the "honey pits." I've been going to Greenwater lately, which is an area that is national forest land on the other side of Enumclaw.

A friend of mine looked at the regulations recently and told me that you have to be some minimum distance from roads or houses to shoot. Private property shooting is going to depend on the area, how much you do, the attitude of neighbors, etc. I doubt many people would care in rural areas outside of the Seattle metro area, but closer in you are more likely to have the cops called.

Sun May 05, 2013 4:31 pm
Banned

Sarkus wrote:
A lot of cities have severe restrictions on shooting within their boundaries, to the point where you are better off just going to a designated range and paying the fee. You can shoot on state and some federal land and a lot of people do that around Seattle - check out the map linked at the top of the page and look for the "honey pits." I've been going to Greenwater lately, which is an area that is national forest land on the other side of Enumclaw.

A friend of mine looked at the regulations recently and told me that you have to be some minimum distance from roads or houses to shoot. Private property shooting is going to depend on the area, how much you do, the attitude of neighbors, etc. I doubt many people would care in rural areas outside of the Seattle metro area, but closer in you are more likely to have the cops called.

Good info, thanks!

Anyone on here live in a good area and like to host shoots?

PMME

Sun May 05, 2013 5:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

King County code (ie in unincorporated King County) is actually pretty open, other than the no shooting zones..... If you know someone with a bunch of land, as long as there is a safe backstop and you're away from the road/sidewalk/trails, you're relatively good.

The sad bit is how the USFS shut down everywhere down the I-90 corridor....

So, see the list on here: Duvall, Greenwater/FS70....

Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 pm
Banned

ANZAC wrote:
King County code (ie in unincorporated King County) is actually pretty open, other than the no shooting zones..... If you know someone with a bunch of land, as long as there is a safe backstop and you're away from the road/sidewalk/trails, you're relatively good.

So, see the list on here: Duvall, Greenwater/FS70....

Interesting, do you think it's worth the drive to save on range fee's, or is it more of a push?

PMME

Sun May 05, 2013 8:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WrinkledSphincter wrote:
Interesting, do you think it's worth the drive to save on range fee's, or is it more of a push?

I think it depends on what you want to do. I tend to practice at the range, and shoot stuff up (legally) outdoors.

I hit the range about once a month. Used to be every week but then I "got quit" (unemployed) and ammo got crazy expensive.

Sun May 05, 2013 9:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to shoot up @ FR70 but when I get lazy or just feel like dumping a few mags I go to a closer place. as for me it is cheaper to go out to FR70 than it is to hit the range as I usually have 4 people with me or at least 3 at that cost it hurts every time to pay to play. when gas is cheaper and the joy of being out in the woods it great also.

I wanna say the indoor range in federal way it was going to cost something like 80 bucks for my son and I to shoot one day Now mind you that is with the Initiation fee and range fees yeah we put 30 bucks in the tank and drove out to the woods

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 pm
Profile YIM
Banned

Just in joy wrote:
I like to shoot up @ FR70 but when I get lazy or just feel like dumping a few mags I go to a closer place. as for me it is cheaper to go out to FR70 than it is to hit the range as I usually have 4 people with me or at least 3 at that cost it hurts every time to pay to play. when gas is cheaper and the joy of being out in the woods it great also.

I wanna say the indoor range in federal way it was going to cost something like 80 bucks for my son and I to shoot one day Now mind you that is with the Initiation fee and range fees yeah we put 30 bucks in the tank and drove out to the woods

I don't see fr70 on the map.

PMME

Sun May 05, 2013 10:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fs fr nfr all the same to me sorry for the confusion.

forest road National forest road FS I have no clue what that breaks down too. all equal Greenwater

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 pm
Profile YIM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To expand on what Just in joy said -

What the map calls it is Greenwater Shooting Pit. It's on a US Forest Service road that is called FS 70. Basically you drive on a state highway out several miles east of Enumclaw up into the mountains and then get off on a paved Forest Service road (FS 70) that goes beyond the shooting area. It's technically within the Snoqualmie National Forest, so federal land. So people call it Greenwater or FS70 somewhat interchangeably.

There is one main shooting spot that is basically an old gravel pit carved into the side of a small mountain and then quite a few other places to shoot in the area, especially if you are willing to leave the pavement. Depending on what day of the week and time you go up there (and the weather), you can usually find room to shoot at the main pit area. Obviously evenings and weekends are going to be more of an issue, especially since people camp in the general area as well.

That all being said, Greenwater can be quite a drive. I live in Covington and it takes me an hour to get there. Someone from north of Seattle would probably be looking at double that time. For them a better option might be the Honey Pit in Duvall, which is also on the map. It's out by Monroe and a lot closer for folks on that side of Seattle.

Sun May 05, 2013 10:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:

Who could blame them when you see how these pits/shooting holes are trashed, and abused. The sad bit is how we (the shooting community) let them get this bad.

Mon May 06, 2013 6:58 am
Banned

NebraskaGunner wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Who could blame them when you see how these pits/shooting holes are trashed, and abused. The sad bit is how we (the shooting community) let them get this bad.

Ya that's lame. :angryfire:
I have had a few hobbies where the minority of dirtbags ruin good things for the rest of us, they should be castrated with rusty spoons. :frust:

PMME

Mon May 06, 2013 8:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]