Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Greenwater shooting pit access? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey folks,

I've had a Mini 14 for a few months that I haven't yet had a chance to shoot and this good weather has me itching to get it out. I'm in Covington, so the Greenwater pit seems the closest public shooting spot, but I'm a bit concerned about how accessible it is given its several miles up Forest Service roads. Are those roads suitable for a normal compact car, or is it advised that you have a 4WD or at least something with good ground clearance? I have a buddy with a truck I've been trying to coordinate a trip up there with, but so far no luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I realize there are a few ranges around I can go, but I'd like to do some outdoor shooting.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

most of the known pits are car accessible some of the more secluded places are higher base vehicle subaru possibly or truck small suv's

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:02 pm
Profile YIM

Its paved the whole way there.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nw-outlaw wrote:
Its paved the whole way there.

Ah, I didn't realize that. Anyone know what the snow conditions are? I found a forest service website that showed the road as having snow and not officially cleared but that was last updated two weeks ago.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the first marked pit is paved all the way to it, but its usually busy.

The upper pits goes off onto gravel roads, small potholes but nothing major if you want to find a more secluded area just around the bend and up the dirt road.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My g/f and I will be exploring further up FS-70 this Sunday. We just have a front wheel drive Toyota Matrix, but it's a punchy little thing, so we'll see how far we get.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you end up in Naches, you went to far :0

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was up there Friday/Sat. unless you have 4x4 don't bother going up any of the gravel roads past the tight hairpin. Trees are down, snow was on the ground, and there were a few spots with mudslides and a HUGE boulder blocking 1/3 of one of the dirt roads. If you stay on the paved stuff you will be fine.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the feedback. I went up today and had no problems making it to the first pit area. There were only two other groups when I got there, so that's where I ended up shooting. I could hear some other people around (it sounded like someone was at the upper pit), though.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Beer Hounds wrote:
If you end up in Naches, you went to far :0

Or I90...nearly got lost out there a few times.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]