Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Ft Lewis... Range 15 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, if you want to shoot your "Black" rifles or shoot long range (300 meters) for $5.... Ft Lewis Range 15 is the way to go.

It is open to the "public." Depending on how busy they get they may push the rule on having a military sponsor... Hint: get there early and get in line and most likely you'll have no problems. I strongly recommend you get there early as it gets busy around 11-12 until about 2pm.

Hint: bring exact change. Stand in line, sign in (name and "CIV"), say Civilian and either Rifle or Pistol, hand over your $5, go behind you and grab a target (rifle or pistol) and you're good to go.

Do Not Use the Post to get access to Range 15. Use the back gate (East Gate). This is a non secured recreational part of Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM). If you go through the post - they may want to inspect your firearm and/or question you further... Just don't go there. Depending on what the MP/civilian knows they may hassle you way more than you ever want on a Federal Military Installation.

Simple Facts:
1) It's still a military reservation so no conceal, keep all ammo seperate from firearms (no loaded firearms).
2) $5 for civilian and you get a free target
3) 25, 50, 100, 200, 300 meter distances with 300 meter steel gong. Pistol is 10 and 20 meters.
4) Shoot from all positions (standing, kneeling, bench, prone, sitting). They have benches but it's best to bring your own "sandbags" and a spoting scope.
5) semi rapid fire is allowed
6) Use the East Gate!
7) Only open on weekends - hours are: 10am - 4pm
8) Firing line is covered.

http://www.jblmmwr.com/nw_adv_ranges.html
http://www.jblmmwr.com/pdf/nw_adv/shoot ... 20info.pdf

So, directions. I-5 to Hwy 512 (East) towards Puyallup. Get onto Hwy 7 to Spanaway/Parkland (Pacific Hwy) PLU exit - go East towards Mt Rainier (about 6 miles). At the Roy "Y" you'll make a Right to Roy. You'll see the East Gate entrance on your Right (about 3 miles). Range 15 will be on your Right (about 2 miles).

Just went there Saturday (April 2). Great day since it was suppose to be raining but wasn't. Still got busy and windy at times. Good day!

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:19 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Recently went out there with a few friends from Seattle and had a total blast. Very fun place and although very structured, it was also very laid back.

Their PDF says open Fri July - October. Do you know if this is current info? Do they really open Fridays in the summer? Looking to get out there once a month hopefully through the summer....

Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes they are open on Friday's during the summer months. Do call ahead to make sure when that starts... :hang:

Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I guess instead of starting a new thread I will add to this.

I was turned away today because I was not Military. They said no CIV unless sponsored by active military. Some new guy was running the counter and when I said "but I've been here many times" the guy responded "yea, and thats why these guys have gotten their asses chewed". The range master volunteer guy did tell me once I was outside the cabin, to go walk the line asking if anyone would sponsor me, but Im not really the type to go begging and I was a little ticked. I just wanted to shoot my AK with a new grip and trigger, but I didnt want to do it angry. Oh well. The old range guy did say it would be back to normal next week as the main guy was out on vacation, but I will call ahead next time to be sure CIV without sponsors can shoot that day.

On the flip side I did finally get to stop in at Countyline shooting sports in McKenna. Ive been buy many times on saturday, the one day they are closed. Really well stocked shop with lots of reloading stuff too. I scored a simple black tactical rifle bag for my AK so all wasnt lost.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bummer, oly. :(

Well, I guess we all knew that this MIGHT happen at some point . . . I'm sorry to hear that it did finally, and to you.

If you have any follow-up next week, let us know.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:17 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
Bummer, oly. :(

Well, I guess we all knew that this MIGHT happen at some point . . . I'm sorry to hear that it did finally, and to you.

If you have any follow-up next week, let us know.

Thanks! No follow up for a while... Next weekend is anniversary, then after that is the Renton day...

I guess for now its Crossman airguns in the back yard...

Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Or Gemtech in my backyard...

Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]