Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Shooting and Camping in February 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunday the 24th is my birthday, and I want to take a one night (or two, if I can get Saturday off) camping trip. Among my other reasons for going is my desire to shoot. My original plan was to go to a Packwood, WA site that I've been to several times in the summer, but I just discovered that it's gated closed for the winter.

Bypassing the usual "you're crazy for camping in winter!" statements, I need a backup camping site stat! The other one I go to normally is by Lake Kachess up in the Cascades, but I'm sure that will be snowed in or otherwise inacessible. Basically, I need somewhere that's not snowed on, somewhere I can camp/hike, and also shoot. Any ideas? Many Thanks in advance.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We'll be camping, hiking and shooting this sunday/monday at Browns Creek in the south end of the oly's. You can shoot anywhere in the area too. If you want to join us let me know!

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to work this sunday. Let me know what the conditions are like, I'll keep it in mind!

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:34 pm
Profile WWW

Look towards Darrington. Great shooting pits just a bit north and the Cascade Highway ( dirt section )was open on the Darrington side a few days ago. There are few river side camping spots before the next gate if you have a 4x4 and good off road/snow type tires. The snow was more of an 8" deep heavy slush. I was in a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 33" Goodyear Duratracs and stock diffs ( sort of a front e-locker and rear lim slip ). Was fun and not easy because the tracks were a little too wide, but do-able. Just had to carry a little speed for the steeper up hill sections. Going back up on Sat to shoot and might camp if I can convince my step son that it really isn't that cold once you have a belly full of stew cooked over a nice big, hot fire. Good luck, bring a shovel and have fun.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 pm

coffindodger wrote:
Look towards Darrington. Great shooting pits just a bit north and the Cascade Highway ( dirt section )was open on the Darrington side a few days ago. There are few river side camping spots before the next gate if you have a 4x4 and good off road/snow type tires. The snow was more of an 8" deep heavy slush. I was in a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 33" Goodyear Duratracs and stock diffs ( sort of a front e-locker and rear lim slip ). Was fun and not easy because the tracks were a little too wide, but do-able. Just had to carry a little speed for the steeper up hill sections. Going back up on Sat to shoot and might camp if I can convince my step son that it really isn't that cold once you have a belly full of stew cooked over a nice big, hot fire. Good luck, bring a shovel and have fun.

Just give the kid a shot of whiskey, he will be nice and toasty! :bigsmile:

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

is this gonna be one of those drinking, fighting, sex camp outs? if so, I'm in.. but if it's just the 2 of us, I'm out for the sex part.....

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is going to be a drinking camp out. I tend to avoid fighting when firearms are around ahahaha. As to the sex, you bring a woman and do whatever the hell you want haha. No, seriously, you're welcome to come. My choices thus far are the Browns Creek camp area, or this spot near Randle that I've been tipped to. Hit me with a PM and we'll organize. I've got a full car and 4 people (including myself) going so far.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt I'll make this one but I do like winter camping. FYI - The Open Carry group is having a campout in May in Wenatchee.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend of mine told me about a place near Gold Bar. No further details were given. Anyone know what the hell he's talking about?

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:59 am
Profile WWW

I've got a pair of books listing nearly all the camping and hiking spots in the entire state.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh really?

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:37 am
Profile WWW

Yes of course!

There's many spots dotted along (Listed from N to S) SR 20, SR 530, Hwy 2, I-90, and Hwy 12, not to mention there's everything in between.

There's an advantage to securing a spot off of SR 20 since there's a big shooting pit up there.

Just throwing it out there.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like we're heading to a spot I've been tipped off to near Randle on Hwy 12. I'd be interested in finding a copy of the book you have, what's the title?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:47 am
Profile WWW

Here's the 1st one: "Foghorn Outdoors: Washington Camping" by Stephani & Tom Stienstra (Complete Guide to more than 650 Campgrounds)

The 2nd one: "Foghorn Outdoors: Washington Hiking" by Scott Leonard (Complete guide to more than 400 Hikes)

I found them at a local "Half-Price Books" store for about $6.99 each, but that was several years ago. Both books received high reviews, and should be worth the money.

I've also got a extensive guide to all the trails around Mt. St. Helens, but I must have misplaced it.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]