Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Public lands 

Trying to understand the rules for target shooting on public lands. If you look at the Washington Code for DNR lands or the National Forest rules it looks like you can shoot anywhere with a good berm that's not near people or structures, across roads or trails, and only shoot at things that are made to be target. In practice, it's not simple and there are many other types of restriction. No shooting in state parks, no shooting in "natural resource conservation areas", etc. My questions are:
Can you just go out and shoot if you can figure out a place that is not covered by some special category of restriction
Is there a way to find out if any particular place is OK for shooting?
Is this something that people just don't do because it's too hard or too risky?

Thanks for any advice.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:33 pm

Before shooting anywhere, call DNR and they will transfer you to someone who can tell you about the particular area and whether or not you can shoot there. Something else too look at is the county no-shooting zones... but just because it isn't designated by the county as a no shooting zone, doesn't mean DNR would allow it. Goodluck! I am also looking for some public lands to shoot on. If you happened to find any areas within about 1.5 hours of Tacoma, please shoot me a PM!

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, we got various restrictions all over the place. It's really great that you're concerned and spent some time doing your homework, @cth. Good first move.

It helps to have onXHunt map app, because it shows what's private and what's public. It also tells you who the managing agency is or the owner. Google Earth can help zoom in to find places that look like a gravel pit. And Google Maps can usually get you there.

I find most all rules are about the same (federal and state). I find they are also 'common sense' rules. So, pick out a forest near you and search the maps for a potential shooting spot and go explore. You're bound to find a place that meets the basic 'common sense' requirements.

You're welcome to glean a couple spots of the Trash No Land website map. It only shows public land dispersed shooting locations. It give the GPS co-ordinance and usually offers a word or two about the site. https://www.trashnoland.org/ There is also a link to the WaGuns map on the top of this page.

I predict we are about to see a closure on all State lands soon. Last year, DNR closed all state lands on Aug 15th (that was a Saturday morning without warning). I thought, for sure, they would be closing all lands to shooting earlier this year because of the current fire conditions. So don't be surprised if it happens any day now.

The most important thing you can do, if going shooting in this fire season, is to bring some fire suppression gear (shovel, a couple gallons of water and/or a fire extinguisher). That and be careful not to shoot into downed logs, trees or stumps (they can spark a fire). The gravel pits that have good dirt as backstops are best (not rocks).

Have a great time and enjoy some forest time! Just use your good 'ol common sense!

Bill

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your expertise, Bill. :bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TNL wrote:
Yep, we got various restrictions all over the place. It's really great that you're concerned and spent some time doing your homework, @cth. Good first move.

It helps to have onXHunt map app, because it shows what's private and what's public. It also tells you who the managing agency is or the owner. Google Earth can help zoom in to find places that look like a gravel pit. And Google Maps can usually get you there.

I find most all rules are about the same (federal and state). I find they are also 'common sense' rules. So, pick out a forest near you and search the maps for a potential shooting spot and go explore. You're bound to find a place that meets the basic 'common sense' requirements.

You're welcome to glean a couple spots of the Trash No Land website map. It only shows public land dispersed shooting locations. It give the GPS co-ordinance and usually offers a word or two about the site. https://www.trashnoland.org/ There is also a link to the WaGuns map on the top of this page.

I predict we are about to see a closure on all State lands soon. Last year, DNR closed all state lands on Aug 15th (that was a Saturday morning without warning). I thought, for sure, they would be closing all lands to shooting earlier this year because of the current fire conditions. So don't be surprised if it happens any day now.

The most important thing you can do, if going shooting in this fire season, is to bring some fire suppression gear (shovel, a couple gallons of water and/or a fire extinguisher). That and be careful not to shoot into downed logs, trees or stumps (they can spark a fire). The gravel pits that have good dirt as backstops are best (not rocks).

Have a great time and enjoy some forest time! Just use your good 'ol common sense!

Bill

Bill is the MAN!!!

Attachment:
C2AAAA13-C3C3-4681-BF2F-737ACB0BE3E4.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safetyā€¯

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]