Switch to full style
Know a great, safe spot to shoot? Post it up! Coordinate clean-up effort here as well.
Post a reply

Shooting on DNR land at Cherry Creek (near Duvall)

Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:00 pm

There's a block of DNR land east of Duvall around Cherry Creek and I'm hoping to find out more about the laws in place there.

There's a section near the entrance that's clearly marked "No shooting" by King county. However, after moving out of that section into the park, it's less clear what laws are in place. There are several gates across roads at various places that clearly state "No shooting", but also mention state codes/laws about target shooting. I'm unable to find any mention of this location being off-limits to shooting on the various DNR websites as well.

The area is around the coordinates 47.784877, -121.836366.

Anyone have any first-hand experience shooting in this area?

Re: Shooting on DNR land at Cherry Creek (near Duvall)

Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:21 am

So many people. Even if legal.

Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:26 am

Welcome to WaGuns, coloradomug!

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:14 am

Thank you!!

Ah, that would be troubling. Have only been out there once and it seemed pretty desolate, but if it's well trafficked that wouldn't be ideal in any circumstance.

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:40 pm

coloradomug wrote:

Thank you!!

Ah, that would be troubling. Have only been out there once and it seemed pretty desolate, but if it's well trafficked that wouldn't be ideal in any circumstance.

Maybe if you go out a bit further. Just seems so populated. The guy in the google picture is shot gunning, so that's a bit safer. I imagine some people with houses on Stossel call the sheriff when they hear a high pressure necked rifle cartridge rifle being shot. And for sure the city nut jobs walking on the trail will dial po-po.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:29 pm

I received mixed answers from the DNR. I was told it is illegal on the entire area (although she was referring to the pass more) and was referred to the county no shooting map by another DNR representative https://aqua.kingcounty.gov/gis/web/VMC/boundaries/NSArea_Map.pdf

They do have some of the gates open for hunting at this time. I decided at the end to avoid the area so I wouldn't spook the game for the hunters.

Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 pm

I've never understood how this area could be national forest, outside of the King county no-shooting zone, and still have shooting / fires / camping prohibited? This is basically in my back yard, has a bunch of places to shoot / wheel / camp - and I almost never see other people in there off the main road. I've tried to find an official representative for the area with no luck, who did you contact with DNR so I can push them a bit more for an actual answer on what is permitted in the area?
Post a reply