Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 WDFW Shooting Rules Draft-Target Shooting Rules Update 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you seen this? Comment period is on now till June 10th, 2020.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/wdfw-lands/recreation-planning/rule-development/target-shooting#

These rules are very similar to WA State land rules but with more definition and some added restrictions, mostly dates you can use steel targets at dispersed sites and a steel core bullet restriction. I'm reading more confusion and long, drawn out wording I think could be simplified for better understanding and easier to read.

A few things that are defined and enhanced more than state rules:

Backstop definition, Steel Core restriction, Steel target time restriction, Target placement, Target stands and the expansion of the No Shooting near facilities & structures.

Backstop definition: I see the problem all the time and many shooters don't seem to get the idea of a backstop. They are requiring a minimum of 8 feet high with a sharp incline (in otherwords; not a long gradual slope). The top priority is to stop the bullet from leaving the range area and a long sloping grade could easily skip the bullet up and over an 8 foot mound of dirt. Even a flat surface can skip a bullet over a shorter backstop. So, defining the 8 foot height and slope is a good idea.

Steel Core restriction: Steel makes sparks, so, this restriction was inevitable. It's to further help prevent wildfires.

Steel target time restriction: Again, to prevent wildfires. The East side may become drier sooner than the West site but if you were to have a different start date for each side, it may add more confusion to the already involved set of rules we have to learn. How much longer would it be delayed for the West side? Probably only 1 month because starting July, the West side gets real dry and fires can & do happen in any part of the state. You can shoot steel targets from Oct 1 to May 31. Perhaps look at it as the glass is half full rather than half empty.

Target placement: Within 8 feet of the backstop and must be shooting at the lower half of the backstop. That's new and further defined. That is, however, the proper distance to be placing the target and the proper part of the backstop to be shooting at. Again, stop the skipping bullet in the backstop.

Target stands: Further defining what is not a target stand, such as, power poles, fence posts, car parts, ect...

No shooting near structures & facilities: Just more 'common sense' things to avoid shooting near.

Clays defined: Many people automatically think clays are biodegradable, so, they clarified that.

Consequences: They do point out that failure to remove trash constitutes 'littering'. They go further to to site WA RCW laws that are punishable if found to be in violation of this subsection.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, how much can we argue with? It's all common sense and appropriate guidelines we already know (or should know) and it better clarifies specific areas that are commonly misunderstood or misinterpreted.

I don't see a need for outrage and anger over these improvements. It's not like they are restricting or trying to restrict our rights. They are trying to provide public safety and fire prevention. It's stuff we should already be doing. If we are to share the land with each other, and with other recreation users, we must make safety and fire prevention our top priority.

Bill

Sat May 23, 2020 7:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i ask to understand, how many documented *proved with evidence or eyewitness testimony* cases of *uncontrolled* fire caused by sparks from steel?

Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
i ask to understand, how many documented *proved with evidence or eyewitness testimony* cases of *uncontrolled* fire caused by sparks from steel?

I can vouch for 3 of them...

2 were in Tillamook State Forest, OR, and confirmed by the shooters at the dispersed shooting site with Ore Dept of Forestry. The third one I saw personally in the Yacolt Burn State Forest where DNR fire crews were working on a stump at a dispersed shooting site. The stump was smoking and they were digging it out and soaking with water. That stump was shot to bits and was warn down to just a small stub of chewed up debris with thousands of rounds inside. Probable steel core bullets struck each other inside the stump and spark it off. It was a hot summer day.

Another time, (no fire), I watched the sparks fly off a steel target just before sunset. It was dark enough to see the sparks and I was surprised at how far they spread out. That target was placed over dirt and no dry grass anywhere near it, so no problem. Pretty cool though!

So yes, it does happen, just not very often!

Sat May 23, 2020 9:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:

Don't assume since you haven't seen it that it doesn't happen.

Loggers have been banned from using STEEL wedges for DECADES. You cant hit a hunk of steel with another hunk of steel.

As for steel core bullets, I give two shits about fire, but I dont like to SAW trees with STEEL bullets or steel SHOT in them.

I don't mind sawing copper, lead and brass tho.

Sat May 23, 2020 10:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TNL wrote:
quantsuff wrote:

I can vouch for 3 of them...

2 were in Tillamook State Forest, OR, and confirmed by the shooters at the dispersed shooting site with Ore Dept of Forestry. The third one I saw personally in the Yacolt Burn State Forest where DNR fire crews were working on a stump at a dispersed shooting site. The stump was smoking and they were digging it out and soaking with water. That stump was shot to bits and was warn down to just a small stub of chewed up debris with thousands of rounds inside. Probable steel core bullets struck each other inside the stump and spark it off. It was a hot summer day.

Another time, (no fire), I watched the sparks fly off a steel target just before sunset. It was dark enough to see the sparks and I was surprised at how far they spread out. That target was placed over dirt and no dry grass anywhere near it, so no problem. Pretty cool though!

So yes, it does happen, just not very often!

Thanks!

Sat May 23, 2020 11:28 am

No Steel Core ammo at all? Where are you supposed to shoot your AK's now or anything else chambered in 7.62x39? Does this only apply to WDFW land or will DNR be adopting it as well?

Sun May 24, 2020 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only WDFW... (for now!). I wouldn't doubt it if State DNR adopts it later!

Sun May 24, 2020 8:37 pm

You forgot the LT Murry fire caused by some off duty police officers shooting steel.

Sun May 24, 2020 11:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]