Switch to full style
Know a great, safe spot to shoot? Post it up! Coordinate clean-up effort here as well.
Post a reply

Places to shoot near Camano Island

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:28 am

Hi, new to the forum.

I'd like to take my girlfriend's 16 year old son shooting. She's on board but isn't interested in joining us. I've taught him basic gun safety and marksmanship with a pellet gun and a backstop in the garage.

I'd like to find a spot, range or just a shooting area, somewhere within about an hour or so of Camano. I've only been in the area about a year so not sure where to look. I checked with a couple of local ranges but they required that he be with a parent or legal guardian (I'm neither). Of course if it's not legal for me to take him shooting without his mother I'd like to hear that too.

Thanks.

Re: Places to shoot near Camano Island

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:35 am

Welcome to WaGuns! :wavey:

You're a rock star for wanting to teach him to shoot!

Check out the "Shooting Areas" link at the top of the page (right above the ad banner if you're using the full website), and see if there's anything helpful.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:34 am

PM sent.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:44 pm

The range at Plantation up near Bellingham -- http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/1931/Plantation-Rifle-Range -- requires shooters under 18 be accompanied by a "parent or guardian." Since you have permission from his parent to take him shooting, that should suffice in making you a guardian under those terms. Really, unless there's some reason an RSO or other range worker might ask if you're his parent, most will probably just assume you are and it will be a non-issue.

Some of the shooting pits in Darrington, about an hour (maybe a little less) east of you on Hwy 530, could be an option if you want something less formal. Those should be on the map MadPick mentioned.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:52 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Super helpful. Got a few options I'll check out now!

Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:29 pm

There areca few gravel.pits up in Darrington that you can go to. You will need a Discover Pass.
I take my grandson up.there to shoot every weekend from spring until snow comes.
Next time I go you can follow us up there and see where they are and then go there when ever you want to shoot.

There is a double gravel pit East of Sedro-Wolly in the Lyman/Hamilton area I can take you to some time.

I am in Arlington..
Post a reply