Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:53 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Places, places, places -- I need some 

Question here; Will I get in trouble if I head up there anyway?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MFTIC wrote:
**washed out road is after the barrier...i went around :thumbsup2:

This is not jersey barrier.
Jersey barrier is huge concrete blocks. And the way they were arranged, the only thing that could have gotten past them was something that could climb over on stilts. Or something that could have driven clear out into the river, and upstream in the middle of the river.

I'm telling you, I saw the road the way it looks in your pic. I drove around those signs as well, and saw the same thing you did.

And later the road washed completely away in one section, and they put up the jersey barrier. After that, NO vehicle was able to get around them. Until they finally fixed that section of road. This is only about 5 miles from where I live.

FMJ 911 wrote:
Question here; Will I get in trouble if I head up there anyway?

As long as you do not go through any closed gates, you are fine. There are LOTS of roads up there ! If anything is off limits, it will be posted. Just don't go where it's off limits.

I'd suggest you print the map. (I left some of the roads out, as well. Just too much copying and pasting of smaller chunks of map into the bigger one.) Then keep track of where you are, on it. Especially note any turns you make.

And don't forget to mark any honeyholes you run across. Last one I saw, was at the end of a dead end run.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:bigsmile:

If you look at my picture of the washout...it is actually looking back the way I came. You can barely see the barrier at the end that I went around. I honestly can not remember whether it was large rocks or a jersey barrier strung across the road. If I was to turn around there is no road.

*the picture of the sign is up Beckler Road

Anyway...looking forward to your finds. I know there are places at dead ends where it would be fun to shoot clays off of the cliffs.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MFTIC wrote:
:bigsmile:

If you look at my picture of the washout...it is actually looking back the way I came. You can barely see the barrier at the end that I went around. I honestly can not remember whether it was large rocks or a jersey barrier strung across the road. If I was to turn around there is no road.
Ah. Ok.

There was a time when there was only rocks there. They did eventually put in a line of jersey barriers that stretched from in the trees, across the road, and out into the river.

You could climb over it or lift a bike over it. But there's no way a vehicle could have driven through.

And now I know why that pic of yours is so familiar. That's as far as I walked, myself. And when I turned back and saw what you see in the pic, for some reason it looked more treacherous than when I had walked to that spot. Kind of a stark, impression making scene, if you stood there in real life.

The scenery was... Beautiful. But the feeling was... Treacherous.

MFTIC wrote:
*the picture of the sign is up Beckler Road
That's good to know. I have no problem driving past those signs. I just don't open any actual gates or anything like that.

If there are people that live out there, then if you get stopped all you need to say is that you were looking for someone that, the last you knew, lived out there... And the worst that will happen is that you'll be told they aren't there, and you have to leave.

MFTIC wrote:
Anyway...looking forward to your finds. I know there are places at dead ends where it would be fun to shoot clays off of the cliffs.

Me too !!!

I'm not making the trip, FMJ, is. I won't have the time or resources to make that trip myself, for a while.

Would be kind of cool to see a couple more honeyholes marked on the maps, though.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :thumbsup2:

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And now I am thinking that I should at least drive out as far as the washout in that first pic, and TRY to find the same spot and take another pic of the repaired road from that vantage point !!

Do justice. Love mercy.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3