Switch to full style
Know a great, safe spot to shoot? Post it up! Coordinate clean-up effort here as well.
Post a reply

Capitol City Gun Club in Rochester...

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:53 pm

...anyone here use this range, and if so, what do you think of it?

Re: Capitol City Gun Club in Rochester...

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:36 pm

My friend and I both joined the Capitol City Rifle and Pistol Club last year. Overall, its been a positive experience. They have several different ranges, although the only two that we've made use of are the high-power range (goes out to 200 yds) and the adjacent pistol bay. Most of the times we've visited, typically on weekend mornings, there have been few if any other people and they've all been friendly. You have to pay attention to the schedule of events to make sure you don't show up when there is a match going on at the range you want to use, but this is a minor inconvenience. Access is through a security gate that you will have a key-card for as a member. The facilities themselves aren't new or fancy, but they are covered and work just fine. The membership fees are outlined at their website:

http://ccrpclub.org/membership/

CCRPC is closer to where I live than any other range and as a member, you don't pay any fees per visit. The other choice in the Olympia area is Evergreen Sportsman Club in nearby Littlerock. I have no experience shooting there, but my understanding is that their rifle range is 100 yards and that you pay $5 per visit (on top of your membership) to shoot there. CCRPC does have an additional $80 assessment each year that you can either work-off by volunteering or pay outright. So, depending on how much you shoot and what you shoot, ESC might be a better option as far as price is concerned.

Ultimately, after they shut down large swaths of Capitol Forest to target shooting, I was looking for a place nearby to be able to shoot and at the time CCRPC seemed to fit the bill. What I found over the last year is that I still ended up shooting more at some of the more remote locations in Capitol Forest than I did at CCRPC because it allowed me the freedom to set up targetry the way I wanted to. But, a lot of those areas in the forest are getting significantly more pressure than they have in the past and more than once I've been forced into alternate locations that limited what I could safely do. I guess at the end of the day, its all going to depend on what you are looking to shoot, how often, and whether you're doing flat-range stuff or want to do something more dynamic.

Re: Capitol City Gun Club in Rochester...

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:03 pm

I have been there for a couple years, and like it a lot. The ranges are well maintained, and not crowded unless there is an event going on.

All the members I have run across on the ranges have been pretty chill...willing to talk if you have questions or want to check out their stuff, and willing to leave you alone if you just want to shoot.
Post a reply