Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Anywhere in Skagit County? 

Hey all, im returning from deployment and am wanting to go shooting some steel case rounds somewhere. Anyone know anywhere good near Skagit County? Thank you in advance.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Medford Pit up in Hamoilton. Right now it is only open to shooting on weekends

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Sweet! thanks!

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never been there, but isn't there a pit near Darrington? I think DoveRelease frequents that one?

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lionhrt wrote:

I'm glad you said that - saved me a long, disappointing drive on Thursday. When did that start?

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chich627 wrote:
I've never been there, but isn't there a pit near Darrington? I think DoveRelease frequents that one?

There is. Suiattle River Road. Gets pretty busy on the weekends at the spots closer to highway 530. Not sure if thats the same place you're thinking of.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
lionhrt wrote:

I'm glad you said that - saved me a long, disappointing drive on Thursday. When did that start?

Been since around the first of the year word is during the week they are doing road/trail work up there

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Is it pretty busy up there on the weekends? Medford Pit that is.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to go to Darrington on Saturday send me a PM.

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yugonut wrote:
Is it pretty busy up there on the weekends? Medford Pit that is.

some weekends yes and some not really. I live very short distance from the pit and some weekends I hardly hear any shooting other weekends I hear a lot. but to be honest i think I can only her the larger calibers with a big report. There is also Potts Pitt on the south skagit hwy but I heard it is a bit small

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guys, please excercise some careful judgment in posting about unofficial shooting spots in Skagit County online. Medford Pit is pretty well known, which is why it's pretty much always crowded and usually trashed. Most of the few other places remaining to us are relatively unknown and if you want to keep them, it's best if they stay that way. Keep in mind gun friendly folks are not the only ones who can read this stuff and there are many out there actively working to stop us shooting on public lands. Best to keep that info to private messages if possible, please.

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Guys, please excercise some careful judgment in posting about unofficial shooting spots in Skagit County online. Medford Pit is pretty well known, which is why it's pretty much always crowded and usually trashed. Most of the few other places remaining to us are relatively unknown and if you want to keep them, it's best if they stay that way. Keep in mind gun friendly folks are not the only ones who can read this stuff and there are many out there actively working to stop us shooting on public lands. Best to keep that info to private messages if possible, please.

Thanks for the concern but I think we can handle it. If you want to keep your super secret places secret so be it. But if we want to share were we shoot with others then that's on us. I have heard the "don't tell people where to shoot" all too much. If you are mad your spot is trashed or crowded go find a new one. There are miles and miles of forest service road to find your own spot to shoot and never tell anyone about. Or you can organize a clean up but never telling anyone where to shoot unless they know the secret handshake is ridiculous to me.

Wed May 01, 2019 9:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

spaghetti monster wrote:
Yondering wrote:

Thanks for the concern but I think we can handle it. If you want to keep your super secret places secret so be it. But if we want to share were we shoot with others then that's on us. I have heard the "don't tell people where to shoot" all too much. If you are mad your spot is trashed or crowded go find a new one. There are miles and miles of forest service road to find your own spot to shoot and never tell anyone about. Or you can organize a clean up but never telling anyone where to shoot unless they know the secret handshake is ridiculous to me.

It doesn't sound like you realize how few places we still have open to us now, and how many we used to have before they became widely known and got shut down. I've been watching this trend happen since at least the early 90's; nothing good comes from publicizing your unsanctioned shooting areas. When you do that, it affects all of your fellow shooters too, not just you.

Wed May 01, 2019 6:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
spaghetti monster wrote:
Yondering wrote:

It doesn't sound like you realize how few places we still have open to us now, and how many we used to have before they became widely known and got shut down. I've been watching this trend happen since at least the early 90's; nothing good comes from publicizing your unsanctioned shooting areas. When you do that, it affects all of your fellow shooters too, not just you.

So how did you hear about the places you shoot? Did someone tell you or did you just go out and find them yourself and now everyone is taking it over? Do you want to be the last one told about a shooting spot then no one else can be told? Or do you just get to choose who gets the privilege of knowing the spot?

Again thanks for the concern but your post does nothing to make me not want to tell fellow enthusiasts where they can shoot. Maybe you don't realize but in the 90's there were almost 3 million less people in the state. So less developed area to shoot at and less people trying to share the forest. I bet in the 60s there were even more places to shoot, and you could probably get a soda after for a nickel.

If you don't like the crowded pits don't be lazy and go find your own spot. I have found dozens of places to shoot by driving forest service roads until I found a suitable spot. Some I remember where they are and some I don't. Those I remember I may or may not share online. But the places that everyone and their brother already knows about I couldn't care less if 2,000 people know about it or 2,100 people know. It makes no difference and those other people are spreading the word anyway.

If you are worried pits will get closed down because they are trashed your energy would be better spent organizing a clean up not telling people who they can and cannot tell about a pit.

Thu May 02, 2019 8:18 am

:popcorn:

Thu May 02, 2019 10:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next