Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Jack Pass Pit to become trailhead 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was checking weather and road conditions for the Wild Sky Wilderness area in preparation for spring/summer shooting, camping and hiking I enjoy.

The conditions noted on the USFS website for FS65 reads an interesting note:

"The Jacks Pass gravel pit will be closed indefinitely due to trail construction of the Frog Mountain trail. Please call the Skykomish District for further information"

I've been shooting at that pit for almost 20 years, and have on a few occasions seen some backpackers head up that mountain. I have not called the ranger district yet. It would be a shame if the pit is closed for shooting and turned into a parking lot for the trailhead.

Quick search found plans for a volunteer work party next month to construct the trail.

Thoughts?

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Logizyme wrote:
I was checking weather and road conditions for the Wild Sky Wilderness area in preparation for spring/summer shooting, camping and hiking I enjoy.

The conditions noted on the USFS website for FS65 reads an interesting note:

"The Jacks Pass gravel pit will be closed indefinitely due to trail construction of the Frog Mountain trail. Please call the Skykomish District for further information"

I've been shooting at that pit for almost 20 years, and have on a few occasions seen some backpackers head up that mountain. I have not called the ranger district yet. It would be a shame if the pit is closed for shooting and turned into a parking lot for the trailhead.

Quick search found plans for a volunteer work party next month to construct the trail.

Thoughts?

This is a pretty common tactic it would seem... where "multiple use" is used as an excuse to phase out shooting.

They probably had "public" meetings about it to "solicit opinions" but the meeting s were only advertised on REI's website or aired to carefully targeted populations where they could attract only those with the opinions they wanted to hear.

Contact the local rangers and BLM and see what you can find out about it.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:50 pm

jukk0u wrote:
Contact the local rangers and BLM and see what you can find out about it.

BLM has nothing to do with USFS. Two completely different agencies under different federal departments.

But anyway, disappointing to see this from USFS. They’ve traditionally been “right-friendly” since their mission is business oriented conservation, managing the land for long term timber sales. Since this has been happening more frequently in the past few years, I’m left assuming it’s the result of Clinton’s fascist left hires rising to authoritative positions, while Obama’s fascist left hires have filled the bottom ranks, happily executing those decisions.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not certain it is political in nature. I am all for more hiking trails in that area - I have done most of the popular ones already. My issue is taking the one safe, clean shooting pit, that has room for all that want to shoot there and shutting it down with no fault of the firearm patrons.
It is federal land, and shooting is fair game just about anywhere, but people, myself included will be forced to take our shooting to less safe and more disruptive areas.
The Jack Pass pit has long been where the federal sherriff's had recommended shooters go.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Any Update on this? I've been there once and have a trip planed for July as long as the burn bans don't go crazy again.

Wed May 15, 2019 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Went to the pass on Memorial Day, business as usual. No signs. No one else at the pit - seemed weird for a Memorial day. Blew my load and left.

Came back to the pit yesterday(June 2nd). Makeshift gate and sign saying volunteer work party. Went down and found a spot near the river to shoot and came back up. Gate had been moved aside so I drove up. Looked like they were packing up for the day. Bunch of WTA volunteer workers only. One guy out of the group holding a clip board came over to talk. The rest - mostly women seemed uneasy at the sight of a holstered gun. The guy seemed quick to try and tell us it was all closed, to which I said I understood but was curious about what he knew about the situation. He said the trail was likely not to be completed for in excess of a year, and agreed with my analysis that when completed the pit would most certainly become the a trailhead parking lot. He really did not have any specifics beyond that and that the USFS ranger trail crew would be out working on weekdays. Everyone in the group was wearing sandals and one girl pulled out a hatchet and started fiddling with it as I spoke to the guy.

Skykomish Ranger station is only open Tue-Fri so I guess I will finally give them a call tomorrow to see what the deal is. There is really no other spot in the area that can accommodate multiple groups of shooters and provide a safe backstop of 75-100 yards like that one did. Hopefully they have another spot in mind to send us before everyone just starts shooting off the road, at campsites or under the power lines.

And yeah, they put the damper on my camping trip last year with a burn ban the day we went out. I wouldn't have brought a half cord of wood and I would have brought a second propane tank. Oh well, we made do.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:17 pm

I called Skykomish Stationand its permanently closed pit.

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've spoke to the ranger station a couple times and have been given very little information. The one woman I talked to who was at all knowledgeable of the district's land said they no longer have a specific spot they refer shooters to, but was quick to remind me that much of the land is fair game as long as you follow a few rules.

I've left a couple messages for the people in charge at the Skykomish Ranger District and have gone several days without my call's being returned.

I'm working on compiling a list of contacts and will write a thorough and thoughtful email this weekend in Hope's of getting someone's attention.

I will let you all know now that I'm not giving up on this pit/District, and I may call on WaGuns help in contacting officials in charge of the district.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm

went up there on monday to take some range time- gate is blocking the entrance, signs posted say "people working" and "no shooting"- it is Federal Land so we found a less lovely place to spend a couple hours- and on the way back 4 Snohomish County Sheriff F-250s/ bomb squad were heading that way- not sure if they are checking for ordinance- or cleaning it up but they were on the job-

sad to see that pit go- it really is the bes view and safest spot to shoot, and it was great to meet people there- I ran into so many cool people who let me shoot some seriously awesome guns there- i guess its fuckall to the shooters community

there are other spots in the area as long as you are within the rules, but I really liked that spot- hard to find 200 yards open like that in the NF

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jbayley351080 wrote:
went up there on monday to take some range time- gate is blocking the entrance, signs posted say "people working" and "no shooting"- it is Federal Land so we found a less lovely place to spend a couple hours- and on the way back 4 Snohomish County Sheriff F-250s/ bomb squad were heading that way- not sure if they are checking for ordinance- or cleaning it up but they were on the job-

sad to see that pit go- it really is the bes view and safest spot to shoot, and it was great to meet people there- I ran into so many cool people who let me shoot some seriously awesome guns there- i guess its fuckall to the shooters community

there are other spots in the area as long as you are within the rules, but I really liked that spot- hard to find 200 yards open like that in the NF

Welcome to the Forum! :thumbsup2:

Thanks for the info.

What do you like to shoot? :bigsmile:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]