Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 ***CLEAN-UP @ Sultan Basin Rd pit on Sat 6/11 @ 9 AM*** 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those who don't know, there is a decent clear-cut off Sultan Basin Rd before Spada Lake that is open to shooting. Unfortunately, lots of people don't pack out what they packed in, and it's that kind of behavior that gets places like this shut down for good. I don't want that, and I know many others don't either. So, let's be good stewards of the land, dedicate some time to cleaning it up, and keep the spot open for as long as we can.

Today, I spoke to the DNR officer, Jacob Gilbert, who patrols the Sultan Basin Rd area. He confirmed that the pit is still open for shooting, but he said it's as trashed as ever. I told him I would rally the troops for a clean-up so that we can keep it open. So, this is it! Currently, I'm aiming for Saturday, May 28 @ 9 AM, which gives people time to put it on their calendars and reserve the day. The 28th is Memorial Day weekend, so we're rescheduling for Saturday, June 11.

DNR will haul the trash away if we put it out by the road, which is really nice. DNR will also officially shut the pit down so we can safely clean. They'll also log our volunteer hours (if you want), which I think is good to do.

The snow is gone up there, so clean-up should be fairly easy. We can wait until it dries out a bit more, but it's nice to do the clean-up while it's still cool, because there's no shade out there.

Some info about the pit:
  • It's just off Sultan Basin Road, on the way to Spada Lake.
  • Parking is limited (5-6 vehicles max), so carpooling from another location in town makes sense if the clean-up crew is large. Last time, everyone met at the Park & Ride in Sultan. Discover Pass is required to be displayed when parking there.
  • It's about an 80-yard walk down a dirt path from the parking area to the pit, and there are a couple of short but steep dips in the trail, so wheelbarrows are extremely helpful for transporting supplies/trash.
  • The pit gets a lot of direct sun exposure during the day, so it can get pretty hot out there; prepare accordingly.

Materials that are helpful:
  • Wheelbarrow
  • Contractor bags (the STRONG kind)
  • 5-gallon buckets
  • Rakes
  • Large dustpans
  • Backpack blowers
  • Magnet sweepers (for steel cases)

And, of course, when the pit is clean, we can get our guns dirty. :AR15firing:

Please chime in if you can make it. Many hands make light work! :wagwoot:

Last edited by Guns4Liberty on Fri May 20, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should be able to make it, if anyone feels safer parking in town, in sultan, i have a decent sized spot infront of my house.

Coordinates of the pit incase anyone needs them 47.92094855247276, -121.75376289030605.

Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hopefully we can get some new members and get them involved with cleanups, it’s a win-win for our community.
I do believe Dan and Steve have signs and some pamphlets from “trash no land.” This would definitely get the word out to the masses that they should not be pigs when using private or public lands.

Attachment:
F4731DE2-B556-4338-B8FD-9471003231C1.jpeg

Attachment:
3DDBB35B-F2A1-47D8-9B90-883E51DAF71C.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will plan on helping out, I'll go check it out before the clean up. I'll have my grandson with me.
Thank you for getting this set up.
Did you post this on HuntingWA and NorthwestFirearms?.
Last June we cleaned up the two pitson the Suiattle River Road n about thirty people shows up and they did a marvelous job getting it 100% clean.
We had an all day rain and everyone got soaked.

Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm tossing around going up there in the next couple weeks does anyone have anything we want to do prior to then? I can hang flyers telling people it is closed that morning and to join us, but i dont have a good way to print.

The reason i'm going is i want to take up a shower chair(leftover from my dad's injury) that should be fine in this climate for sitting, shooting, etc. Undoubtedly it some asshole with shoot it up before we come. Also my KP31 likes to jam empties in the ejection port backward like clockwork. in the words of ron burgundy, "im not upset, i'm actually impressed"

I'm going to try to write on it(the chair) something like, "Please dont shoot" on it so hopefully we dont have to pick it up too

Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, DNR guy pointed out that 5/28 falls on Memorial Day Weekend, and he won't be around to facilitate. That didn't even occur to me when I picked the date. So I'm going to have to reschedule this. That'll probably also improve the odds of a good turnout.

Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:03 am

Let us know when

Sun May 01, 2022 7:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

ACCESS_DENIED_41 wrote:
Let us know when

Welcome, Paul!

welcomewgo

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun May 01, 2022 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took the dogs up hiking, did a few miles up nf-210, it was the first place that didnt have a discover pass or no trespassing sign.

Both times i went past the pit there was multiple cars there so i didnt stop(my blue healer is the baddest MF, until she hears booms)

Sun May 01, 2022 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going to shoot for Saturday, June 11 now. Does that work for others?

Fri May 20, 2022 3:00 pm

The 28th of may worked better for me. The Lind combine demolition derby is on the 11th of june.

Sun May 22, 2022 7:51 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dogsatemypants wrote:
The 28th of may worked better for me. The Lind combine demolition derby is on the 11th of june.

Welcome to WaGuns! :wavey:

I’m a little surprised that Curtis wasn’t more aware of the derby….

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun May 22, 2022 11:15 am

Unsure. I would be happy to do a sunday cleanup on the 12th. The following saturday the 18th would also be out. The Fremont solstice parade is that weekend. Really, my main goal is to get to know responsible members of the community. If not Sultan, I'm down to help clean somewhere else.
A few years back I went out with coworkers and the firing line was a shitshow.

I would like to learn how to do things properly. I believe a big part of that is keeping these areas clean and safe so that they remain accessible.

Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll definately be there, but i might be late, my dogs usually have nose classes at 9ish

Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
I should be able to make it, if anyone feels safer parking in town, in sultan, i have a decent sized spot infront of my house.

Coordinates of the pit incase anyone needs them 47.92094855247276, -121.75376289030605.

Here's a direct link to the site: https://www.google.com/maps/place/47%C2 ... 21.7537629

Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next