Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 new builds on registered lower 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a couple of lower receivers that are registered SBRs. When I did the form 4s, I gave fairly specific information about the builds such as caliber, overall length, etc.

If I go and build a different upper for the registered lower after the fact that results in a weapon with a different OAL, or is in a different caliber, am I obligated to update the BATF?

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Iirc, it's fine as long as you retain ownership of the original upper in the original configuration.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:
Iirc, it's fine as long as you retain ownership of the original upper in the original configuration.

Correct, and I have verbally confirmed this with a BATFE agent over the phone (Yakima field office). I also confirmed that you can build an upper that is shorter than the one in your original configuration, as long as you retain that original upper.

I have read that you can make a permanent change to the original OAL that you declared on your form by sending a letter to BATFE notifying them of the change (no need for a new application & tax stamp), but I have not confirmed this. It makes sense; it's not like it's a dramatic change.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be safe you can add different lengths and calibers to your sbr by sending a letter to the atf. Not really required but it’s a way to cover your ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As said above, as long as you keep the original upper it's not a permanent change I have four uppers for my two SBR ARs

I did build two pistol lowers just to make sure all four uppers have a legal lower. I have a bunch of extra parts, including parts to build rifle lowers so I wanted to make sure I couldn't be accused of constructive intent. Probably just paranoid but one of the pistol lowers is for my can cannon

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]