Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Suppressor Cleaning Solvents & Pre-Treatments 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was doing a bit of research today on suppressor cleaning. Decided to try out some different products for chemical cleaning suppressor pistons and baffles.
- Lucas Deep Clean Gasoline Direct Injection Cleaner
- Seafoam Spray Top Engine Cleaner & Lube
- Lucas Multi-Purpose Parts Cleaner & Degreaser

Will do a comparison this morning on some rimfire suppressor baffles to see how they stack up removing burnt on carbon residue.

For disclosure, I'm cleaning a Q El Camino (17-4 stainless baffles) and Tactical Solutions Axiom (titanium baffles).

Also ordered some products to try out for pre-treating baffles after cleaning to see if they make long term clean-up any easier:
- Thompson Center Bore Butter
- CRC Welding Anti-Splatter Spray

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:27 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh yeah, maybe I should do that occasionally...

Good thread, following with interest.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could ultrasonic cleaner be used?
It works great for my guns.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For pre-treating rimfire baffles there's been quite a bit of success using DOT 5 brake fluid or silicone oil. Wet tumbling with pins for cleaning baffles not made of aluminum.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll try ultrasonic next as currently working with three suppressors: all with either stainless or titanium baffles. US is a no-go for aluminum baffles as I understand.

For this morning's test I found that brake cleaner is best left to removing the scrubbed off carbon residue. The two automotive cleaners (Seafoam and Lucas) did a mediocre job after being left for 30 min to soak in. Results were OK once I scrubbed the baffles with synthetic steel wool and hosed them down with brake cleaner to remove the residue.

Boretech C4 Carbon Remover continues to impress. It's at its best where parts can be soaked then afterwards scrubbed down with synthetic steel wool. This stuff really melts away hard baked carbon residue from the face of stainless steel revolver cylinders and steel/titanium suppressor baffles.

KG Carbon Remover was another mediocre performer. Tried it on my Rugged Obsidian 9 baffle stack and results were mediocre at best.

Going to put together some short sections of PVC tubing with end caps to use for soaking suppressor baffle stacks overnight. Should be more efficient use of solvents.

For chemical cleaning I'll use a combination of Boretech C4, brake cleaner, and aerosol Rem Oil prior to reassembly. Once the bore butter arrives will try that as a preventative to see if it can work to prevent hard baked carbon residue.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:59 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's a recent Silencerco video on the topic of cleaning suppressors.

It's 55 minutes long. Let me give you my summary after watching it: When your can is about one year away from requiring cleaning, buy a new one and get the tax stamp process started. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3nUP9E1a8k

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or just spend $100 on a Hobo Freight bead blaster and actual glass bead, not the stuff HF sells (which is ground glass and may damage your baffles). Nothing else cleans as well, and fine glass bead at ~40 psi doesn't damage aluminum or titanium baffles, and even 60-80 psi is safe for steel baffles. I've tried a lot of different cleaning methods over the past ~15 years, and the only other really effective method is "the dip", but it's very hazardous and also not safe for aluminum.

My recommendation is to not bother with ultrasonic cleaners unless you just want one for other uses. They don't seem to do much for serious fouling in my experience.

Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about if your Can is sealed? Then what for cleaning?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
How about if your Can is sealed? Then what for cleaning?

Shoot it out. :AR15firing:

Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Here's a recent Silencerco video on the topic of cleaning suppressors.

It's 55 minutes long. Let me give you my summary after watching it: When your can is about one year away from requiring cleaning, buy a new one and get the tax stamp process started. :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: I hear you on that. I suck at gun cleaning, mostly because I hate the process so much and for half the year here in Central Texas our garage is like the surface of Mercury (facing the sun). I tend to like stainless revolvers because I can just stash them away after a match and clean them at leisure.

Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Or just spend $100 on a Hobo Freight bead blaster and actual glass bead, not the stuff HF sells (which is ground glass and may damage your baffles). Nothing else cleans as well, and fine glass bead at ~40 psi doesn't damage aluminum or titanium baffles, and even 60-80 psi is safe for steel baffles. I've tried a lot of different cleaning methods over the past ~15 years, and the only other really effective method is "the dip", but it's very hazardous and also not safe for aluminum.

My recommendation is to not bother with ultrasonic cleaners unless you just want one for other uses. They don't seem to do much for serious fouling in my experience.

Thanks Yondering. I actually have the Harbor Freight cabinet now (bought it used from a neighbor) but waiting on funds to upgrade my air compressor as I currently have a very low capacity Rolair Bull. That likely has to wait till next Spring when we normally get an annual bonus for a little extra kicker in our income.

In the meantime experimenting with different methods.

All my cans now are stainless baffles. Next up I will try the ultrasonic cleaner. Thinking to try distilled water in the cleaner tub with a glass jar filled with Boretech C4 Carbon Remover and the baffles for the actual cleaning. I'll post an update in the next couple weeks after my next range visit once I get a chance to dirty up the Obsidian 9 again.

I do have two CGS cans currently in jail with stainless blast baffle and rest aluminum. So I think just plain old soaking in C4 Carbon Remover and brushing will have to suffice there.

Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw an interesting article this morning on The Truth About Guns:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/silencer-shop-how-to-clean-your-silencer-video/

Have not yet had time to view the video with work though thought I'd post this up.

My next experiment will be with ultrasonic cleaning for my Rugged Obsidian 9. Thinking to fill the main tank with water then place the baffles in a glass jar with Boretech C4 Carbon Remover and place inside the US tank/water bath. Curious to see how this will work out though I need to find time to get to the range soon so I can dirty up my suppressor first.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Saw an interesting article this morning on The Truth About Guns:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/silencer-shop-how-to-clean-your-silencer-video/

Have not yet had time to view the video with work though thought I'd post this up.

My next experiment will be with ultrasonic cleaning for my Rugged Obsidian 9. Thinking to fill the main tank with water then place the baffles in a glass jar with Boretech C4 Carbon Remover and place inside the US tank/water bath. Curious to see how this will work out though I need to find time to get to the range soon so I can dirty up my suppressor first.
I’ve put parts in a freezer bag filled with a cleaning solution and put that in the US and it worked well. Does the glass jar do anything to inhibit the US waves? No idea, that’s why I’m asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Chich that's a pretty good idea. I can run a side by side test with both freezer bag and bottle. I was thinking I'd hate to have a bottle shatter inside the US tank.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:27 am

There's some good ideas in this thread.

After messing around with different methods (solvents, polishing wheels, ultrasonic cleaners), the 1000% best surefire way I've found to clean baffles is wet tumbling. Seriously. Absolute game changer.

Wet tumbling with stainless steel pins have them coming out like brand new. I did 3 hours with just a bit of deposit left over but you could go longer

Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next