I've got ARs in:

.223/5.56
.22 Long Rifle
9mm Luger
45 ACP
50 Beowulf
300 Blackout
7.62x39
.458 SOCOM (ok, I have the parts . . . need to assemble them)

My thoughts? For most of us, who gives a shit . . . if it interests you, do it and don't worry too much about the practicality of it. If it puts a smile on your face, go for it.

If you have a particular practical consideration in mind (hunting X kind of game, shooting best groups at X yards, best home defense, whatever) then let us know what that is, and maybe a particular caliber would be best for that.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You didn’t get that 50 BMG conversion did you?

Yes, for those that don’t know there is a 50 BMG single shot upper you can get for the AR lower.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:

Yes, for those that don’t know there is a 50 BMG single shot upper you can get for the AR lower.

You can get a mag fed (side feed) upper too

:bow:

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
oldkim wrote:

You can get a mag fed (side feed) upper too

:bow:

Fuck that’s a nice kitchen.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure why you want MP5 mags. If you have an "MP5" (or clone ) then why an AR9?
If you like building firearms. Then half the fun is searching for just the right parts.
My vote is old school Colt pattern 9mm.
:joecool:

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Work in progress

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
If you have a particular practical consideration in mind (hunting X kind of game, shooting best groups at X yards, best home defense, whatever) then let us know what that is, and maybe a particular caliber would be best for that.

That's really what it comes down to

I was scratching my head at the options of 9mm or 7.62x39. Those are very different animals.

I've never liked 9mm ARs. It just seems forced. Right now there are so many PCCs that fill the same roll, except better. I don't know why the 9mm AR still exists other than familiarity.

7.62x39 is best left to the AK platform. You're forcing a square peg in a round hole

The 300BLK fits somewhere in between those two. It's really more of a pistol round. It would give you the option to hunt, it suppresses really well, and is becoming more common so prices aren't as crazy as they used to be (it's still around .50/rnd vs .30/rnd for 5.56). Everything is the same as a 5.56 AR except the barrel.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really don’t have an practical reason for it except pure entertainment. Just thinking between the two as I have a plethora of 9 and I like the 7.62x39 round, not so much ak’s

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I meant what I said in my first post

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jayle wrote:
Really don’t have an practical reason for it except pure entertainment. Just thinking between the two as I have a plethora of 9 and I like the 7.62x39 round, not so much ak’s

9mm AR's are fun and cheap to shoot. I say go for it, especially if it's just a plinking or PDW type thing.

I personally don't get .300 BO, but each to their own. Like Steve said, if it makes you smile, and it will, go for it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jayle wrote:

If you like the 7.62x39, (depending what you like about it), consider either the 300 Blk or 6.5 Grendel for an AR. The 300 comes within 100 fps of duplicating 7.62x39 ballistics, but with better bullets and less blast. The 6.5 Grendel is the same basic case as the x39, just "improved" (i.e. straightened out) and necked down; it launches the same weight bullets (123gr) a little faster at the muzzle and reaches out a lot farther due to more streamlined bullets.

There are lots of great cartridges for the AR15 platform besides the 5.56; it just depends what you want. I've got a bunch in different calibers for everything from long range (a 243 LBC) to hard-hitting woods thumpers (a 358 Herrett, my own wildcat) and a number in between. Honestly my favorite of all of them is a 12.5" SBR in 6.5 Grendel with a 3-9x Leupold and a suppressor mount; it covers almost all the bases really well and is a lot of fun to shoot, even at moderately long range. A friend and I were ringing steel with it at 600 yards a few weekends ago, and despite the short barrel, we found it a lot easier to hit with than the 16" 5.56 rifles due to less wind drift.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.300 BLK would be my vote now that ammo prices are more reasonable.

9mm ARS are just too heavy for the caliber...the Scorpion is a better platform.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:

I've never liked 9mm ARs. It just seems forced. Right now there are so many PCCs that fill the same roll, except better. I don't know why the 9mm AR still exists other than familiarity.

AR9's are immensely popular in competition. It's a division that keeps growing. PCC division is scored as minor, so there's no reason to use a bigger or more expensive round.
The market specifically around AR9's is getting bigger too.

I have a 300 BO pistol, specifically for suppression. I've never fired a supersonic round out of it lol

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:29 pm

If you want something in 7.62x39 get an AK. People praise the WASR-10 as being a good entry level buy.

I've been eyeballing those CMMG 9mm and .45 ARs. They have a delayed blowback system on them which should make them run suppressed really well.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've already decided that my next build will be chambered in .224 Valkyrie. I have everything I need except the bolt and a barrel.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next