Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cerakote, when is too far? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As many of the board members here know I have been doing cerakote and gun restoration for many yrs. it started as just a hobby for myself while I was out of work from a motorcycle accident . I’ve done a metric shit ton of work for people , friends , family , friends of friends and many board members here and on the other sites.

My question is this, the need for restoration or customization is user subjective. Myself, I’m a 1911 NUT, and many of my 1911s are custom to my taste. But I would never, NEVER coat an old colt 1911 with history !
But where do we draw the line? Is it value, age, rarity??
When do I have to feel bad about “ruining” a firearm with cerakote.

I realize this is gona draw opinions all over the spectrum, but trying to gauge my opinion against what others think?

Thoughts?

Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to think that altering vintage/historic firearms was borderline criminal, but I've since changed my mind. Bluing is not a very good protective coating - at least not as good as more modern finishes. To me, it's more important that the firearm last a long time and get used than stay "pretty" but turn into a rusty hunk of metal, or never leave the safe. If cerakote is going to give that cool old gun some longevity and make sure it gets used, then I say go for it. However, the traditionalist in me says don't take it too far by cerakoting it in Zombie Green. But to each their own.

I guess it also depends on the current condition of the gun. If it's in great shape, I'd leave it alone. If it's rough around the edges, then it's a prime candidate for a facelift.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would you inscribe MS13 into the slide of a WWII 1911 collectible?

Kinda goes along the same thing you're asking with the Cerakote.

:whatthe:

Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends, are you attempting to preserve the firearm as an artifact to put in a museum (no to cerakote) or as a tool that you want to use for a long time (yeah to cerakote).

Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Advise your customers that alteration will affect the value of an item. A very customized appearance will/may not appeal to others as much as a "stock" piece. Removing original finish and wear from more "historical" pieces will/may reduce the value to some collectors. Allow them to decide, then do your best work. Go to sleep at night with a clear conscience.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are true collectibles regardless of condition e.g. wartime guns, some pre WWII guns, etc. where the patina and wear are part of the story.

Anything else, fire away. I've been on the hunt for a finish challenged S&W M&P snub or a Colt Detective Special to send off to Robar for a full "pinto" treatment of Roguard/NP3. Been thinking of the same with a pre-crossbolt Win 94 or 92.

I think of TINCANBANDIT's blog and can't think of a single gun he's done where I'm like, "Wow why would you do that to a collectible?"

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only the owner of said gun could really make that call. It is sort of like classic cars say you have a 32 ford I would like it hot rodded but if it is a 69 Camero I would want it numbers matching and all original not a resto mod. Everyone will have different view.

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I leave collecting to those who like to tie up their money in things they can't play with whenever they want.

Cerakote is my friend unless my firearms are stanless or came with a similar coating.

I think the decision to Cerakote or not on a firearm with collection value still lies with the owner. If it's a real valuable collectible, offer to buy it. Chances are they don't have a clue to the value and if you now own it you're the one that could cash in.

Kind of like all those stories where a guy buys a classic car that was stored for 60+ years in a barn from the widow of the original owner for a couple hundred bucks. Widow just wanted the barn cleaned out before she put the farm on the market and didn't have a clue as to it's value.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand business is business, but if some douche who inherited his grandfather's WWII 1911A1 with which he hit the beach against the Germans or Japanese, and wanted to coat it in zombie green with black skulls, I'd educate him on what he really has and tell him I'm not doing the work.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:29 am

I think cerakote makes nice guns look like play-doh.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’d say “it depends”. In the above example, maybe grandpa was a sci-fi buff who liked zombie stories.

I’ve got the old Marlin 30-30 which my grandfather used to hunt deer when he homesteaded in OR. At one point, my dad had it reblued and it looks great. I don’t feel a loss for the patina. Only appreciation that the rifle is being cared for and preserved.

My dad has a 1911 pre series 70 Colt stamped with “government property”. Back in the 70’s or 80’s he had it custom built by a well renowned gunsmith (can’t remember which...ether Novak or a guy who was the LAPD armorer). It’s now a gorgeous 2-tone perfectly running machine with modern touches like checkered front and back straps, a skeleton trigger/hammer, etc. It’s wonderfully done. The gun was pretty beat up when he had it refinished, which extended its usefulness.

My dad also has a series 70 that’s in VG condition in the box. He wants to have another custom 1911 built but doesn’t want to do it from such a nice vintage, collectible piece.

There’s nothing wrong with modifying or updating old stuff. And there’s nothing wrong with being a collector and appreciating original stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
And there’s nothing wrong with being a collector and appreciating original stuff.

Unless you start to run out of room in your house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever you own, you should be able to customize to suit your needs. Dont worry what other people think.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is always a judgement call based on the firearm some examples

Pre '64 Winchester model 70...have it professionally refinished or leave the patina if not too bad

Post '64 Winchester model 70, do what you like

50's vintage Remington 870 Wingmaster, leave alone or reblue

new Remington 870 Express, do what you like

WWII or older war relic: leave alone, who knows how that scratch got there

Modern Sporting Rifle (AR etc), go for it

IMO Cerakote has it's place, but I cringe when I see it on lever actions and revolvers....sorry it just doesn't look right to me, but on modern sporting rifles it looks awesome

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
edogg wrote:
And there’s nothing wrong with being a collector and appreciating original stuff.

Unless you start to run out of room in your house.

Well that’s a fine line between collecting and hoarding. ;)

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next