Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Anyone Using a Vortex Venom Red Dot? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thinking to pick up one of these when tax return comes in:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/294736/vortex-optics-venom-red-dot-sight-1x-with-picatinny-mount-matte

It'll be going on a Browning Buckmark Plus Camper Suppressor Ready model
http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/buck-mark-pistols/limited-availability/buck-mark-plus-camper-suppressor-ready.html

Will be using for Steel Challenge rimfire pistol division.

Does anyone have any direct experience with this or similar red dot sights they could recommend?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure Sinus has one on the XDM he brought to the range last Monday. Seemed to work rather well.

I think Old11bravo is partial to the trijicon rmr.

Vortex = good product, cheepur..but you are supporting the trade deficit.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I'm pretty sure Sinus has one on the XDM he brought to the range last Monday. Seemed to work rather well.

I think Old11bravo is partial to the trijicon rmr.

Vortex = good product, cheepur..but you are supporting the trade deficit.

I was looking at Docter and Trijicon also though pretty spendy. Might reconsider to pick up one of those depending on how people weigh in.
Vortex is well reviewed for spotting scopes, rifle scopes, binos, and now red dots but have no prior direct experience with the brand.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:34 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

The venom is a nice little step up from the Burris fastfire series. I have both the vortex venom and the Burris. I prefer the vortex. Shot through the trijicon and can't justify the price jump. Definitely recommend the venom.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
The venom is a nice little step up from the Burris fastfire series. I have both the vortex venom and the Burris. I prefer the vortex. Shot through the trijicon and can't justify the price jump. Definitely recommend the venom.

thank you sinus that's great info. I was also seeing the Vortex Venom to be a nice compromise in terms of good reviews vs price point. Love the idea of picking up a Docter or Trijicon but really hard to justify that price tag on a rimfire pistol.

looks like they come in a 3 MOA or 6 MOA dot. this would be for shooting out to 25 yards tops. what's your thoughts on dot size? i'm trending towards the 6 MOA but always open to suggestion.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:52 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

GeekWithGuns wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

thank you sinus that's great info. I was also seeing the Vortex Venom to be a nice compromise in terms of good reviews vs price point. Love the idea of picking up a Docter or Trijicon but really hard to justify that price tag on a rimfire pistol.

looks like they come in a 3 MOA or 6 MOA dot. this would be for shooting out to 25 yards tops. what's your thoughts on dot size? i'm trending towards the 6 MOA but always open to suggestion.

I tend to always lean toward the smaller MOA dot but I haven't shot speed steel so I'm probably not the right guy to ask. IMO the bigger dots(6 MOA) tend to obscure the targets too much. I like a smaller dot. If you want a 3 MOA dot to appear larger or more noticeable you can always just turn up the brightness on the dot. It will appear to get larger when the dot starts to flare at higher brightness.

But again, this is just my opinion and I'm probably not the best person to ask.

ETA- I shoot matches indoor in a dimly lit action bay. If you're shooting outdoor in the Texas sun you may have a completely different set of needs from your optic. I think my #1 concern would be: will it get bright enough to be immediately visible in bright sunlight. I can tell you the Venom gets very bright but (thank you WA weather) you'll have to give me another 6 months or so before I can go test it in direct sunlight for you.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks sinus that some great food for thought. i'll ask around at next months SCSA match to see what folks are using in terms of dot size and color. it has been a shocking adjustment having bright sunlight in the winter for a change. the winter months are just great here weather wise but come june i'll be starting my annual four month, indoor air-conditioned hibernation cycle :bigsmile:

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I run the Venom with the 3 MOA Dot on a Canik TP9 SFX. It was a little odd running a Red dot on a pistol at first. Keep your chin up, don't tuck it or you lose the dot in the window.
Great sight. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t often frequent gun ranges but they are a great place to try out guns you want to own. See if a local range has any of the dots on rentals. Our local range has all three on different pistols. I like the Trijicon the best, the led powered ones seemed extremely shaky to me. I would say try em before you buy em.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree with what seems to be the consensus here on selecting the smaller MOA size dot when choosing your reflex sight. If you do select the larger MOA dot you will eventually find yourself coming to the realization that the dot is partially obstructing or entirely covering the view of your intended target.

I have tried many of the different names in reflex sight brands and can honestly say that I can get the work done with most any of them (maybe excluding TruGlo level etc..). No real complaints against any that I've tried. My preference for Trijicon is based solely on vanity and the well known fact that I'm an unabashed dirty little brand whore.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
I run the Venom with the 3 MOA Dot on a Canik TP9 SFX. It was a little odd running a Red dot on a pistol at first. Keep your chin up, don't tuck it or you lose the dot in the window.
Great sight. :thumbsup2:

I'll be doing the same with my TP9.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow Vortex Venom is definitely popular on the forum.

Was doing some reading on Brian Enos' forum and the consensus was for dots from 6-8 MOA for close range steel shooting where the targets are close and a really bright dot is required for white steel plates in full sunlight. Speed of acquisition is the most important factor.

I am thinking one possible compromise is the Leupold Delta Point Pro which has a 7.5 MOA inverted chevron. This way you can use the upper, narrower portion or point of the chevron for smaller/distant targets without obliterating the entire target with a huge dot.

Prices are currently $230 for the Venom on Amazon vs $350 for the Leupold DPP so the cost difference is significant.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shooting pistol for self defense, it would seem a larger dot would aid in acquiring a target faster. Bt I would like to test that theory.

After all, you're trying to make a center mass shot, not pick the buttons off an attacker vest.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got a Vortex Venom in the mail from FN yesterday (was a rebate from FN for buying an FNX-45 Tactical last year). I'm excited to put it on and try it out.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My youngest has shot a Buckmark in speed steel matches for about 4 years. For Speed Steel/Steel Challenge, bigger the dot the better, you are not shooting precision, you are shooting fast. Dom runs a 90 degree mounted Cmore with an 8 MOA dot on the Buckmark , .22 rifle runs a Cmore w/ 8 MOA dot. I run a 6 MOA dot and an 8 MOA on my MPX and .22 SBR respectively. All 4 guns have taken multiple trophies and match/division wins in state and local matches.

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now ... as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next