Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 551, 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557 ... 880  Next
 What did you do today in the world of firearms? 
Site Admin
Site Admin

MyNameIs940 wrote:
How do you like the 9k? I was originally going to buy that but then the deal came out so I decided on getting another 30 cal can plus the octane 9.

I have an Octane 45, which was my main .45/9mm can until I got the Omega 9K. I just LOVE the size and weight of the Omega 9K; honestly, pistol shooting with the Octane 45 was getting a little boring because it's so long. I like the Omega 9K on my SBRs like the Scorpion and Kriss Vector, too. So yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm pretty much a Silencerco whore, because I like that I can interchange the various attachments from one suppressor to the next, so I don't need to buy a whole new seat of accessories for every suppressor.

I just bought a Maxim 9, so I'll get a free suppressor with that. I'm planning to get the Octane 45K, just to have the small/light suppressor that can do .45.

MyNameIs940 wrote:
Which brace is your favorite? Have you tried the sba3?

I haven't tried the SBA3, but it looks pretty good.

Of the ones I've tried, I guess my favorite is the Tailhook Mod 2. It's the most "stock-like" of my braces, and it looks WAY better than the older ones. However, it's hard plastic and you can feel the recoil a bit; I'm using it on a .45 AR-15 so it's not too bad, but you might not want to use it on a .308 or something like that. The original braces are much softer and more rubbery, so they absorb recoil better.

MyNameIs940 wrote:
I just started using silencershop for the sbr applications. Takes 30 seconds and I can do it on my phone. They already have my fingerprints and photos and trust on file just have to pay $30 for the convenience which is worth it for me.

That sounds like a pretty good deal, too, especially considering the cost and hassle of getting paper fingerprints. I haven't done any Form 1 submittals since the law changed, but if I do any more I'll probably go the same route you are.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

I have an Octane 45, which was my main .45/9mm can until I got the Omega 9K. I just LOVE the size and weight of the Omega 9K; honestly, pistol shooting with the Octane 45 was getting a little boring because it's so long. I like the Omega 9K on my SBRs like the Scorpion and Kriss Vector, too. So yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm pretty much a Silencerco whore, because I like that I can interchange the various attachments from one suppressor to the next, so I don't need to buy a whole new seat of accessories for every suppressor.

I just bought a Maxim 9, so I'll get a free suppressor with that. I'm planning to get the Octane 45K, just to have the small/light suppressor that can do .45.

I was wanting the omega 9k for a mpx pistol but guess the octane 9 will work :P I’m kind of a silencerco whore myself... 4/5 of my cans in jail are silencerco. Have you shot the maxim 9 yet? I’ve heard bad things about it but it’s a pretty sweet idea and hopefully you can find a better trigger for it.

MadPick wrote:
I haven't tried the SBA3, but it looks pretty good.

Of the ones I've tried, I guess my favorite is the Tailhook Mod 2. It's the most "stock-like" of my braces, and it looks WAY better than the older ones. However, it's hard plastic and you can feel the recoil a bit; I'm using it on a .45 AR-15 so it's not too bad, but you might not want to use it on a .308 or something like that. The original braces are much softer and more rubbery, so they absorb recoil better.

The next group clean or shoot I’ll bring my ar pistol down and you can give it a shot with the sba3. I haven’t tried many of them just the shockwave and the sba3 but I’m happy with it as a brace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

MyNameIs940 wrote:
Have you shot the maxim 9 yet? I’ve heard bad things about it but it’s a pretty sweet idea and hopefully you can find a better trigger for it.

Yes, I've shot them at SHOT Show. And yes, the trigger is sketchy . . . from what I saw, it varied a lot from gun to gun. I'm hoping for the best.

:peep:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

while I was walking around the apt, going commando I had an epiphany and converted my kriss 10mm into a firearm with a folding brace. and made my scorpion a fixed version

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After our recent move, finally getting unpacked and just finished setting up my dryfire wall in the master bedroom. Spent some time working on revo reloads today (have several moonclips of dummy rounds with no powder or primers for the purpose, no live ammo!!!). Planning to start re-establishing my dry fire regimen this week.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shooting day! First one since I got back. This is a shooting area north of Spokane near Eloika Lake.

The Tac-Sol 10/22 was terrific, though I wasn't super impressed with the Lucid H7. It just didn't get bright enough. Granted, it was as bright today as it is ever going to be in WA. But I also zeroed a Bushnell TRS-25 on my M92 which, on max brightness, was just fine. Disappointing that a smaller, cheaper optic would outperform the Lucid.

First test of my S&W 442PC, range report to follow. Apex trigger kit is a +1. The trigger pull wasn't bad before, but it became very smooth. I also added some boron nitride grease around the hammer and trigger pins which probably helped a bit too.

It shot low with everything I tested. I want a retest with a tall target as mine was pretty low to the ground. The Ruger APX, no surprise, shot the lowest as it's a 77gr bullet. Recoil was very light. Next were some 158gr wadcutters, these didn't strike too much higher, recoil a bit more stout. Then the +P Federal HST Micro, the one that looks like the old school "load the hollow base wadcutter backwards" trick. The most recoil, it did sting the web of the hand a bit. It will be the carry ammo and I'll leave the APX for my daughters to shoot out of the full size .38s/.357s.

The Blade-Tech KLIPT holster is good for $29, but does pinch a tad. I think I'll try a leather one next.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:30 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I bought a used suppressor-ready CZ P-10C recently, which works well except for when I'm shooting my 147-grain reloads with a suppressor attached. Sadly, that's kinda the point of the gun. :bigsmile:

It turns out that my gun has the little 'weld spot' discussed here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... sor-ready/

So today I hammered the hell out of the pins and finally got the locking block removed, then I filed down that spot and reassembled. Hopefully it will run better now, we'll see.

Oh, and I also cleaned and did a little work on two different Ruger MkIII 22/45 pistols, which meant that I disassembled and reassembled them about a half-dozen times. :cussing:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went to the Appleseed event yesterday and today out at the Upper Nisqually Sportsman's club. It was a lot of fun, though I am incredibly sore. I learned a great deal about some fundamental marksmanship practices that I was missing.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice Moktor! :thumbsup2:

I just got done properly fitting a Handguard to an M1A. It's not supposed to be tight with no receiver gap.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought some 9mm and began talks for another shotgun.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I bought a used suppressor-ready CZ P-10C recently, which works well except for when I'm shooting my 147-grain reloads with a suppressor attached. Sadly, that's kinda the point of the gun. :bigsmile:

It turns out that my gun has the little 'weld spot' discussed here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... sor-ready/

So today I hammered the hell out of the pins and finally got the locking block removed, then I filed down that spot and reassembled. Hopefully it will run better now, we'll see.

Oh, and I also cleaned and did a little work on two different Ruger MkIII 22/45 pistols, which meant that I disassembled and reassembled them about a half-dozen times. :cussing:

The Mk IV 22/45 I picked up a couple weeke ago has me pretty excited. Push a button and it breaks down. I loved my Mk III, but I have a feeling I'll never go back.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
Shooting day! First one since I got back. This is a shooting area north of Spokane near Eloika Lake.

The Tac-Sol 10/22 was terrific, though I wasn't super impressed with the Lucid H7. It just didn't get bright enough. Granted, it was as bright today as it is ever going to be in WA. But I also zeroed a Bushnell TRS-25 on my M92 which, on max brightness, was just fine. Disappointing that a smaller, cheaper optic would outperform the Lucid.

First test of my S&W 442PC, range report to follow. Apex trigger kit is a +1. The trigger pull wasn't bad before, but it became very smooth. I also added some boron nitride grease around the hammer and trigger pins which probably helped a bit too.

It shot low with everything I tested. I want a retest with a tall target as mine was pretty low to the ground. The Ruger APX, no surprise, shot the lowest as it's a 77gr bullet. Recoil was very light. Next were some 158gr wadcutters, these didn't strike too much higher, recoil a bit more stout. Then the +P Federal HST Micro, the one that looks like the old school "load the hollow base wadcutter backwards" trick. The most recoil, it did sting the web of the hand a bit. It will be the carry ammo and I'll leave the APX for my daughters to shoot out of the full size .38s/.357s.

The Blade-Tech KLIPT holster is good for $29, but does pinch a tad. I think I'll try a leather one next.

Great looking revo there HK. Wasn't aware that Apex made a trigger for the j-frame, will have to take a look. Have the Apex N-frame Evolution IV hammer and competition firing pin in my 627 though that is tuned for Federal primers only with light mainspring and trigger return spring. On my carry guns I never mess with the springs or trigger pull weight, everything at factory tension though I usually do have a gunsmith polish the working services of the lock work to smooth the action.

Also appreciate the reference for the Federal HST micro load, will do some research. I've been using the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 38 Special +P in mine.

Have you ever considered pocket carry? Mika holsters are great as well as Sticky holsters. DeSantis also makes the Nemesis I think. I do have a Raven appendix carry holster for my j-frame though never practically use it as hard to beat the convenience of dropping a holster into front pocket of the jeans or cargo shorts.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:55 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
The Mk IV 22/45 I picked up a couple weeke ago has me pretty excited. Push a button and it breaks down. I loved my Mk III, but I have a feeling I'll never go back.

Yeah . . . as I was dicking around with those two pistols I was thinking, "Hmmm, I wonder how much I'd be in the hole if I sold them and bought Mk IV replacements...."

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Great looking revo there HK. Wasn't aware that Apex made a trigger for the j-frame, will have to take a look. Have the Apex N-frame Evolution IV hammer and competition firing pin in my 627 though that is tuned for Federal primers only with light mainspring and trigger return spring. On my carry guns I never mess with the springs or trigger pull weight, everything at factory tension though I usually do have a gunsmith polish the working services of the lock work to smooth the action.

Also appreciate the reference for the Federal HST micro load, will do some research. I've been using the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 38 Special +P in mine.

Have you ever considered pocket carry? Mika holsters are great as well as Sticky holsters. DeSantis also makes the Nemesis I think. I do have a Raven appendix carry holster for my j-frame though never practically use it as hard to beat the convenience of dropping a holster into front pocket of the jeans or cargo shorts.

The Apex kit is specifically made for carry. It lightens and smooths the trigger just a bit, plus the frame mounted firing pin is sharper. No one is using J frames for shooting competitions that I'm aware of.

I should get a pocket holster as well and try that out.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:

The Apex kit is specifically made for carry. It lightens and smooths the trigger just a bit, plus the frame mounted firing pin is sharper. No one is using J frames for shooting competitions that I'm aware of.

I should get a pocket holster as well and try that out.

Thanks I'll check out the Apex j-frame carry kit.

These are the two pocket carry holsters I've used, both have been great:
https://mikaspocketholsters.com/
https://stickyholsters.com/md-5-medium-sticky-holster.html

One big thing with pocket carry is having big enough pockets. I got rid of all my Levi's (pockets too small and anti-gun company to boot). Now using the Duluth Ballroom Jeans that are awesome for pocket carry, even after putting an Altamont extended grip on my 642.

The biggest disadvantage of pocket carry is the draw takes more time. The biggest takeaway from recent pocket gun training class is get your hand on the grip in the pocket as soon as you sense a threat. Draw time is far better starting with grip in pocket than if you're surprised and have to start with hands out of pocket.

The big advantage of pocket carry is convenience. I'm never tempted to leave the gun at home on short trips out and about because it's as simple as dropping the holstered gun in my front jeans pocket.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 13193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 551, 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557 ... 880  Next