Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Go home Areo, you’re drunk. Just stop 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DM47 wrote:
While there is truth to the impact from different alloys, how does one explain the blemishes on just the lower receiver, as shown in Aero's pics, and the OP's pic? That looks like deficiency in the anodizing.

Go back and read the part about 'uniformity'

Gasitman wrote:
That is real interesting to see from them. But somehow they forgot to put those photos in the ad for each item for sale. :thumbsdown: No, this is not a builder said, I ordered all three together. The upper and lower are very close. The handguard is nowhere near it. If you saw it in person it almost looks like cerakote. They gave me $10.81 back on the lower and marked it as a blem. I saw one of these in a gun shop built up, way overpriced. It was done up with some good accents and it looked killer. So I was going to do the same for way less. Now, maybe not. :facepalm2:

The upper and lower have this note as the first paragraph of the description:

Aero Precision wrote:
NOTE: This part features a colored anodized finish. These finishes are held to different aesthetic standards than parts finished in black anodizing or Cerakote. By buying this part, you understand that the color of this part may not exactly match what is visually shown on the website, and that the part may also differ in shade when matched with other parts of the same color/finish. For more information on colored anodizing visit our Knowledge Center.

If you had clicked on the link to the knowledge center it would have brought up the rest of the stuff I posted

I feel for you, it sucks to not get what you were expecting. At the same time it's not really Aero's fault. Good on them for giving you some money back even though they didn't have to. They're a good company. Due diligence man. It was all right there on their website

You're not the first to have mismatched colors. I've got a 50 shades of FDE rifle. Since everything is slightly off nothing stands out as wrong, kinda like our membership

Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I see your point, I hope you can see mine? One should not have to hunt for problems before. There shouldn’t have to be warnings or disclaimers or links to some things there are bad. This is a blem, sell it as such. If all these lowers are anodized black, how come most all of them look the same? So in my mind, I would think that the green would be the best suited to not be different from cerekote color. Obviously I was wrong in my thinking.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:57 pm

Dang man, that looks like doggie doo. Hopefully you can recoup some of your funds, those are definitely blem items.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: no longer in a van down by the river (... at least anywhere near South King County)
RocketScott wrote:
DM47 wrote:
While there is truth to the impact from different alloys, how does one explain the blemishes on just the lower receiver, as shown in Aero's pics, and the OP's pic? That looks like deficiency in the anodizing.

Go back and read the part about 'uniformity'

I had read it already. I guess I find it difficult to understand they would sell a product that finishes out like that.

Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:40 am

6061 takes the color dye differently than 7075. That's why black is the most chosen color, it's easiest to match between the different alloys. The darker the color, the easier it is to match. The lighter the color, the more difficult is to match.

Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:52 pm
Profile WWW

DM47 wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Quote:
Color Matching:..... The difference in alloy type (6061 vs 7075) between our handguards and receivers is also creates a point of color variation. ...

Those are created during the forging die process. It's lubrication to allow the forgings to release from the die. Sometimes, it gets impregnated into the forging and creates those streaks. Almost all uppers/lowers will have it, but if it's dyed black you'll never notice it.

Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I kinda like it.

Shut up and build Kermit gun!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:12 pm

I'd be disappointed too. I almost bought the same group of parts a week or so ago. I didn't move forward on it because I was wary of this exact situation.

I used to work for a hot rod shop that did a lot of boutique parts. There were several products over the years that we had to stop selling because of inconsistencies with the finish that were inherent to the process, and the resulting customer service nightmare. It just wasn't worth it. We couldn't price them high enough (without seeming like assholes) to be able to scrap up to 60% of a batch that didn't meet QC or cover the cost of the customer service. Too much damage control.

In a way, it's cool that Aero is willing to continue to offer this service. It's a f'n pain in the ass.

Years later we'd still get hit up for that product "Why did you guys stop selling ______??? You should totally bring it back!"
SMH

Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:36 am

I'm a little surprised they aren't cerakoted, I would assume that it would be a far more uniform finish.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:39 am

They have an ODG cerakote option.

The green ano is an entirely different look. Really sharp. Just tricky to get it right.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:26 am

Call Aero or send an email with the pics of the scratches in the lower. I'll bet they will make it right. I know how frustrating it is to have to go through the paperwork to get a lower and get something that is blemished like that when you pay full price. You have to understand that just like during the Shamdemic, with the situation in Washington State right now, They are under a tremdous amount of pressure to get out as much product as they can before the wall slams down. I'm not saying its right, but you will get some failures slipping through under the best of times. The lower and upper look like it functions so you got that going for you, but you wanted and probably paid for something that should have left the warehouse perfect. I'd wager that if you send the email they will put forth the effort to make sure you are satisfied.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
Call Aero or send an email with the pics of the scratches in the lower. I'll bet they will make it right. I know how frustrating it is to have to go through the paperwork to get a lower and get something that is blemished like that when you pay full price. You have to understand that just like during the Shamdemic, with the situation in Washington State right now, They are under a tremdous amount of pressure to get out as much product as they can before the wall slams down. I'm not saying its right, but you will get some failures slipping through under the best of times. The lower and upper look like it functions so you got that going for you, but you wanted and probably paid for something that should have left the warehouse perfect. I'd wager that if you send the email they will put forth the effort to make sure you are satisfied.

They gave him $10.81. Kinda light IMO.

I've had a few issues with lowers in the past. Nothing major. But these weren't 5 for $100 no name lowers. Nor were they cheap lowers.

Gas, maybe use that green as the base color for some 60s camo job. Or bite the bullet and cerakote the whole thing.

I want a desert tan or FDE AR. Your experience confirms I'm gonna cerakote.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With Czar Inslee on the red button, I’m going to build whatever I can. I ordered two more hand guards and they are allowing me to return the ones that are worse off.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently purchased an M5 upper where the barrel nut was hand tight, nowhere near spec. Not knowing when this AWB was going to go into effect I didn't want to return it.

My dealer @509busman helped me torque it to spec, even gave me some of his personal shims to get the gas tube channel to line up.

Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:16 am
FFL / Dealer

Differences in colors when anodizing is common and well docum3nted acrossed every manufacturer out there that offers it.

Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next