Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Ring Around the AR Buffer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: no longer in a van down by the river (... at least anywhere near South King County)
jukk0u wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Hmmm…

Attachment:
D327011C-DB53-49D8-8837-893E0BFF25EE.jpeg

Attachment:
3E374D4E-FE70-4445-BD30-581688C8C8D3.jpeg

That's the Black Hammer Arms full auto fucky, but my buffer has nicks on the edge, too. Looks like where it contacts the retainer pin. Didn't think it such abig deal like the divot in the face.

BHAFAF™

Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

Might be time to try a JP spring or something too.

As long as you don't use that JP silent capture spring. They sound like a squeaky box frame in an old hotel.

I like the Armaspec version, and use a few in different rifles. "Silent Stealth spring" or something like that - it's a spring and buffer combo like the JP setup. None of mine squeak in any way, and are noticeably quieter when shooting suppressed. They're a lot cheaper than the JP setup too...

Those also have an O-ring as the contact point with the buffer, instead of the hard metal/metal contact like the OP's issue.

Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks like it's worth a try. Original buffer is rifle length/weight with no "H" marking. The Armaspec website doesn't make any distinction between them other than weight... will they work with rifle length gas and an A2 stock?

EDIT 2: that's for a carbine length tube... they sell a spacer for use with A2 stocks, but still no guidance on weight...
Still looking...

Armaspec's FAQ section says:

"Customer Questions...
No Questions"

I'm not sure if that's a command.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
That looks like it's worth a try. Original buffer is rifle length/weight with no "H" marking. The Armaspec website doesn't make any distinction between them other than weight... will they work with rifle length gas and an A2 stock?

EDIT 2: that's for a carbine length tube... they sell a spacer for use with A2 stocks, but still no guidance on weight...
Still looking...

Armaspec's FAQ section says:

"Customer Questions...
No Questions"

I'm not sure if that's a command.

It always depends somewhat on gas port sizing, but generally speaking there's no correlation between the gas system length and the recoil system. In other words, a rifle length gas system does not mean you have to use a rifle length buffer/spring setup. The rifle buffer system is heavier but with a different spring; either system can be used with any length gas system.

I have not used the Armaspec system in a rifle tube, but if they say it works with a spacer, then you can just use it that way. It'd be essentially a carbine buffer system inside a rifle tube.

As for the buffer weight, I'd use either a standard C (carbine) or H1 weight.

Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that.

Armaspec sells weights that can be changed so... hmmm

O-ring has been omitted on the latest generation and has changed the cap from a screw to a roll-pin capture. The multi-part-construction vs. the simpler(?) OEM buffer and spring gives me some pause even though I realize the OEM buffer has internal parts, too.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:55 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Wear parts.

There’s a lot of diagnosis here, and not for nothing the comments are very insightful and helpful. But man, you’ve had this rifle how many years? And it has continued to function for how many years? And maybe that’s concerning wear to see judging by the round count but; how many years?

If I know you well enough this is not your bug out plan rifle. It’s a target and feel good rifle. It’s done well enough in its role. Replace the buffer if it’s concerning and move on

Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Replace the buffer if it’s concerning and move on

The simplest and least expensive option... I līke it. :bow:

Now.... back to "sproing! sproing! sproing!"

FJB

Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:45 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Remember the DMR showdown we did with your m1a and my AR? And my AR outshot the m1a when I was behind it but we couldn’t replicate those results when we switched?

I’d say if it shoots well when you’re behind it and it keeps on running, so be it. If you can run a system well and it keeps on running who cares if something is a little off? It keeps running, you keep hitting. Good enough. Should last you longer than the other guy.

What else matters?

Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:50 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Replace the buffer if it’s concerning and move on

The simplest and least expensive option... I līke it. :bow:

Now.... back to "sproing! sproing! sproing!"

The utter bane of my otherwise peaceful prairie dog shooting existence.

Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Wear parts.

There’s a lot of diagnosis here, and not for nothing the comments are very insightful and helpful. But man, you’ve had this rifle how many years? And it has continued to function for how many years? And maybe that’s concerning wear to see judging by the round count but; how many years?

If I know you well enough this is not your bug out plan rifle. It’s a target and feel good rifle. It’s done well enough in its role. Replace the buffer if it’s concerning and move on

Right? Hell, I'll take my happy ass right down the road to Pantel and buy him a new one and even send it to him on my dime.

PM me an address and it's done.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:02 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

usrifle wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Wear parts.

Right? Hell, I'll take my happy ass right down the road to Pantel and buy him a new one and even send it to him on my dime.

Exactly! It’s like a work truck that has kept you on the road and making money for years but the damn #5 spark plug keeps on fouling. You can try and spend thousands diagnosing why that plug kept fouling or just throw a plug at it every 100k miles. I’ma simple fella, but I know what I’d do.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Wear parts.

Exactly! It’s like a work truck that has kept you on the road and making money for years but the damn #5 spark plug keeps on fouling. You can try and spend thousands diagnosing why that plug kept fouling or just throw a plug at it every 100k miles. I’ma simple fella, but I know what I’d do.

Agreed. I have better things to do than worrying about some soft steel on a buffer when the damn thing is 15 bucks. Just replace it and be done. That rifle won't see 500rds before 2025 at best.

My offer stands.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Thanks for that.

Armaspec sells weights that can be changed so... hmmm

O-ring has been omitted on the latest generation and has changed the cap from a screw to a roll-pin capture. The multi-part-construction vs. the simpler(?) OEM buffer and spring gives me some pause even though I realize the OEM buffer has internal parts, too.

Dang cost cutting. I don't mind the roll pin, but the O-ring was a nice part of the setup. And I was getting that system for ~$50 just a year or two ago, vs the ~$85 now.

Given all that, I'd probably stick with a regular buffer unless you're after the best suppressed shooting feel. If it doesn't get suppressed, I wouldn't bother with the Armaspec at all.

A properly made buffer shouldn't get that wear ring in it anyway. Some of my ARs have seen more rounds than yours in just a single weekend, and the buffer face has no groove years later. I'd be surprised if it happens again with a good buffer.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First off: thanks to all for scratching their heads about this and to U.S. for the kind offer, but I will politely decline :bow:

To Sinus and U.S.: Yes it's a "wear" item and rather inexpensive, but even as automobile tires are, in relative terms to the car itself, rather inexpensive "wear items"... the thing is, if your tire treads begin to feather or cup, the reasonable process would be to at least try to divine the mechanism of failure and not just throw good parts after bad only to have them subject to inordinate wear, too.

So the cogitation isn't for naught; the examination costs nothing and, even if nothing is truly amiss and chalked up to normal wear, the scrutiny is worthwhile.

I still haven't received a response from the recipient regarding pictures of the OEM bcg I donated to his build. I'm curious to see if his buffer is exhibiting similar wear.

FJB

Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Person to whom I donated bcg show now wear on their buffer. I will more closely examine my carrier. If smooth, I will assume it's just time for new buffer and watch the new part closely.

FJB

Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3