Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What trust you guys using? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new daddy wrote:
NWGL (I think it’s silver). I’ve got it tied into a primary family trust (which I recommend everyone have) with all of my assets, so I wanted an attorney to review everything and make sure it lined up.

They recommend that you put EVERYTHING gun related in the trust - even reloaders and ammo. I’ve put all of my firearms in it.
Interesting, did they say why you should put everything firearm related into the trust?

Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scrid2000 wrote:
new daddy wrote:
NWGL (I think it’s silver). I’ve got it tied into a primary family trust (which I recommend everyone have) with all of my assets, so I wanted an attorney to review everything and make sure it lined up.

They recommend that you put EVERYTHING gun related in the trust - even reloaders and ammo. I’ve put all of my firearms in it.
Interesting, did they say why you should put everything firearm related into the trust?

He did, but it’s been long enough that I’ve forgotten why. I’ll see if I can dig up my notes on our meeting.

Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whats the purpose of a trust? And with ammo/reloading supply constantly changing how does that work?

Seems like some kind of traceable registry. You pay for someone else to have an inventory of your firearms?

Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

harleyjasondavidson wrote:
Whats the purpose of a trust? And with ammo/reloading supply constantly changing how does that work?

Seems like some kind of traceable registry. You pay for someone else to have an inventory of your firearms?

Generally the purpose of a trust is to have property avoid probate. For WA, that's less an issue because our probate system is generally non-intervention. But for NFA items, trusts have the huge benefit of allowing other trustees and beneficiaries to possess the trust property.

Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

harleyjasondavidson wrote:

You don’t pay for the inventory. You can do your own trust, I chose to have an attorney write mine because I didn’t want it to conflict with my other trust. You pay for that service - then you’re done paying. In the trust, there’s a section for appendixes.- and you can make, create, and destruct appendixes as much as you want (NFA items must be tracked though). I’ve got an appendix for my NFA items, for my rifles, pistols, and other. You don’t list every bullet - but just bulk numbers that you always have on hand - for example 500 rounds of .223. If I die, the first 500 rounds goes with the trust - everything else goes into my estate - which of course is subject to other claims.

Lots of reasons to have a trust. Primary (already mentioned) is to avoid probate. So if you die, items in your trust go directly to your heirs instead of into your estate. You structure them properly to manage estate taxes, income taxes (in the case of IRA/401Ks etc), and to avoid creditors, etc.

Lastly, mine is also set up to name guardians for my kids and to manage my investments to provide for their care. For example, it allows the guardian to draw down $X per month to pay their care - but they can’t yank down the full estate and have a party.

If you have assets of any kind and/or kids, I strongly recommend that you speak to attorney. A basic trust only costs a few hundred and can save your heirs a world of hurt later.

I did check my notes on accessories and I only wrote down to do it - not why.

Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2