Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Looking for a PDW case/bag that's sealed-ish. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to another 'Holy shit you're really overthinking this Techno, just fucking buy something' thread...

I have a bag that can hold my AR and half a dozen mags. It's actually fairly small.... Problem is, I'm constantly having issues with rust/mold, as it lives in my trunk.

Not too dissimilar to this.. albeit in OD.

Attachment:
81oHP3kUkNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Despite it being all tacti-cool, it's OD and actually pretty unassuming when it's not doctored for pictures and stuffed full of whatever the hell they put in there to make it look bigger/fuller than it actually is.... It mostly looks like a small backpack.

There are a couple things to note:

1. I like that my bag opens from the top, as I can reach in, grab it and pull it out, with mag already loaded, and if need be, could squeeze off a round with it in the bag. Yes, it'd be permanently damaged due to the side folding mechanism getting jacked up, but it's theoretically possible.

2. I have a pelican case. The side opening aspect, I'm not a fan of.

3. I looked at messenger bags.... Those are lower profile, but doesn't solve the moisture issue.

4. I've used Rigid tool boxes as discreet gun cases that have worked great, but in that case it was important to blend in to my environment, and it did so. I can't really have a rigid tool case sitting on my front seat, because it doesn't 'fit'...

Yes, I've used desiccant, and I had to constantly swap them out, as anything more than like a week and I'd be seeing moisture again.

So, it would seem a sealed or semi-sealed case would work, but it would also seem they'd stick out like a sore thumb... and also I couldn't really casually carry it if need be.

A soft bag I can carry anywhere without raising suspicions, but the moisture issue rears its ugly head.

I was looking at a hardshell case like this, and though it says 'waterproof', something tells me that's just Chinese marketing.

Attachment:
71+O8iPFJNL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Thoughts?

The dimensions I'm working with are 14x12x4.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:50 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Sealed or not, if it’s living in a trunk it’s subject to huge temperature variances that will cause condensation inside the bag. Unless you’re willing to vacuum pack I can’t see how changing the bag will help reduce the moisture inside.

Maybe I’m wrong? Maybe your bag needs a way to control moisture inside like bulk dessicant?

Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going off in a different tangent, why not seal the gun in plastic with a couple desicants? Think of a ziplock with a couple desicants thrown in for good measure... For longer storage double seal the edges with scotch tape.

Or just dont give a crap about moisture and get a full stainless firearm.

Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Sealed or not, if it’s living in a trunk it’s subject to huge temperature variances that will cause condensation inside the bag. Unless you’re willing to vacuum pack I can’t see how changing the bag will help reduce the moisture inside.

Maybe I’m wrong? Maybe your bag needs a way to control moisture inside like bulk dessicant?

That's kinda why I was leaning to a hard case or something a little more resistant to moisture.

When I was daily driving my maintenance truck, I had a similar bag that the gun was in, and it was in a locked compartment for about a month... The bag was so covered in mold I just threw it out.... Lube/protectant only goes so far, and I'm finding the small stuff like the screw for the safety selector (45*, ambi) had some surface rust on it.

I don't want a hard case though, that's why I was thinking maybe there's a hybrid case I don't know about?

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
Going off in a different tangent, why not seal the gun in plastic with a couple desicants? Think of a ziplock with a couple desicants thrown in for good measure... For longer storage double seal the edges with scotch tape.

Defeats the purpose of having it handy/right there.

Theoretically, I'm sure they make ziploc bags big enough, but... lol

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
shaggy wrote:

Defeats the purpose of having it handy/right there.

Theoretically, I'm sure they make ziploc bags big enough, but... lol

I'm sure there is a bag sealer and the perfect roll of bag material that would fit the bill if it isnt currently a thing, and honestly if it that a thing, then there is a market for it.

I bet you can stake a string from inside the bag to make it a simple rip and pew kinda thing(probably a patent there) but i'm sure there is something better this is off the top of my head stuff

Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems like you need a container or box to store your Backpack in to keep dry from the elements.
What about a box you could keep in the truck and or take it out in the house when you wanted too?

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SFCRMSA wrote:
It seems like you need a container or box to store your Backpack in to keep dry from the elements.
What about a box you could keep in the truck and or take it out in the house when you wanted too?

+1

Replacing the weather stripping around the trunk lid and washing the trunk liner to get rid of any mold spore would help

Last edited by RocketScott on Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:31 am

Paint on steel does the trick for me, when it comes to eliminating rust from getting wet, and condensation from coming in from the cold.

How are you having these issues if you're bringing the gun/bag in every day/night? You're not actually leaving it in a vehicle for days on end, are you?

Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't need a special bag, you need regular maintenance. I think you already know this, but once the "lazy" bug bites, it's difficult to shake off. Wipe your weapons down with an oiled cloth every day if necessary, to leave a protective film of oil over the steel surfaces. Then put it back in whatever conveyance/storage you like.

I'm not picking on you brother, but this isn't the first recent post you've made that indicates your neglectful trend towards your protective gear. If you're concerned enough to carry these tools around with you, make the decision to discipline yourself on regular maintenance.

Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:34 am

I've been on the lookout for a couple bags myself; one for the gym - I have a little sling bag from one of those "mystery box" deals. It's crap. But it holds water bottles, towel, phone, keys, etc.

I also need a better daily bag. I have a 5.11 messenger bag that is too tactical. I also realized a backpack is more useful than the messenger bag.

But back to the matter at hand - How about a waterproof backpack? In WA weather, it'd be a no-brainer, since we're raised to not use umbrellas. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098S9D1MJ/re ... HJ1ZQ&th=1

Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was going to recommend trying a waterproof bag, like this guy here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might be missing something here. Are you carrying this as well, or it's just for storage in your trunk? I will try some Google fu, but have seen ads for a completely weatherproof gun case company. Maybe they have something in line with what you want.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My ghb goes in the house with me every night. At first carrying it in and out is a PIA, but like anything routine it ultimately just becomes background noise.

Even home safes have moisture issuez. Alotta folks use goldenrods. Rigging to an inverter and your car battery might be too much of a drain. Is there ac power near your parking?

A silicon impregnated sock might help. (jefferies socks dot com are US made)
I wonder if silicon spray on the inside of the bag would just be a nasty mess, or if it would degrade the nylon?

Maybe go old school and heavily wax a canvass bag., like those stiff old cowboy duster coats. (get wax at filsons)

I really think bringing it in at night is your best bet.

My ghb:

First-spear makes this bag and a lot of others.

since it's a backpack it leaves hands free.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RockHopper wrote:
You don't need a special bag, you need regular maintenance. I think you already know this, but once the "lazy" bug bites, it's difficult to shake off. Wipe your weapons down with an oiled cloth every day if necessary, to leave a protective film of oil over the steel surfaces. Then put it back in whatever conveyance/storage you like.

I'm not picking on you brother, but this isn't the first recent post you've made that indicates your neglectful trend towards your protective gear. If you're concerned enough to carry these tools around with you, make the decision to discipline yourself on regular maintenance.

It's maintained. It's cleaned. As I pointed out, it's the small stuff like the retention screw for the safety selector lever that has some surface rust on it. I can't turn my AR into a slip n slide.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next