Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Looking for a PDW case/bag that's sealed-ish. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
Paint on steel does the trick for me, when it comes to eliminating rust from getting wet, and condensation from coming in from the cold.

How are you having these issues if you're bringing the gun/bag in every day/night? You're not actually leaving it in a vehicle for days on end, are you?

When it's in a secured area, yes. My friend's property is gated, and well secured. I don't really have an 'inside', just 'less outside', lol. Still saving money.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SFCRMSA wrote:
It seems like you need a container or box to store your Backpack in to keep dry from the elements.
What about a box you could keep in the truck and or take it out in the house when you wanted too?

These are the simple, out of (in?) the box solutions that I don't think about. This actually makes some sense....

BUT, if I'm undoing a latch or 2 to open the box, I may just use a pelican or something. Although it does have the advantage of being able to be removed and stuck on a front seat while I'm driving or something, then re-sealed in the trunk.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mikeyb wrote:
I've been on the lookout for a couple bags myself; one for the gym - I have a little sling bag from one of those "mystery box" deals. It's crap. But it holds water bottles, towel, phone, keys, etc.

I also need a better daily bag. I have a 5.11 messenger bag that is too tactical. I also realized a backpack is more useful than the messenger bag.

But back to the matter at hand - How about a waterproof backpack? In WA weather, it'd be a no-brainer, since we're raised to not use umbrellas. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098S9D1MJ/re ... HJ1ZQ&th=1

That's kinda what I had in mind. Waterproof with airtight zipper/seal means I can throw desiccant packs in there and keep the air space in there pretty dry without having to replace them 3x a week because it's open to the elements. I think this might be a winner.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
I might be missing something here. Are you carrying this as well, or it's just for storage in your trunk? I will try some Google fu, but have seen ads for a completely weatherproof gun case company. Maybe they have something in line with what you want.

96.3% storage. However, there have been occasions where it was not safe to leave in the vehicle and I carried it with me, or I was driving in areas where I felt the need for something more substantial than a traditional 9mm pistol and the bag would sit on the passenger seat.

Can't really carry a pelican case around without attracting attention. The current bag looks more like a backpack/day bag (it's actually pretty small) and doesn't really look too out of place so I could carry it without a second glance, if I had to. It works, other than the moisture issue, which is a big one.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
My ghb goes in the house with me every night. At first carrying it in and out is a PIA, but like anything routine it ultimately just becomes background noise.

Even home safes have moisture issuez. Alotta folks use goldenrods. Rigging to an inverter and your car battery might be too much of a drain. Is there ac power near your parking?

A silicon impregnated sock might help. (jefferies socks dot com are US made)
I wonder if silicon spray on the inside of the bag would just be a nasty mess, or if it would degrade the nylon?

Maybe go old school and heavily wax a canvass bag., like those stiff old cowboy duster coats. (get wax at filsons)

I really think bringing it in at night is your best bet.

Crap. I completely forgot about the water repellent spray like Scotch... That may provide enough of a seal.. But at $15 a can, it's probably better to put that money towards a bag that is designed that way instead of trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

My 'inside' isn't so much an 'inside' as it is 'less outside'.. There's probably more moisture in here as there is out there, as I use propane for heat.. direct heat...which means TONS of moisture.

I think using the proper search terms when trying to shop also helps.. Searching 'dry bag backpack' has added a ton of options.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:02 pm

Paint that damn smoke pole!

That's one of the main reasons all our "working guns" are painted.

I don't have to coat it before going out in the rain, or coming in from extreme cold.

Do it brah!

Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
Paint that damn smoke pole!

That's one of the main reasons all our "working guns" are painted.

I don't have to coat it before going out in the rain, or coming in from extreme cold.

Do it brah!

Paint what you see and everything you don't coat with water repellent or lube.

I think your biggest problem has already been stated. As temps cool condensation happens. As it warms it never gets warm enough to vaporize the water.

My answer is second battery that is isolated when engine off and charging when engine on. Use that second battery to power a light bulb that warms a box like stated earlier.

Cheaper and easier to paint and run wet.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just get a dry bag that your go bag fits in and call it good...simplest and cheapest option

Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This would probably be your most inexpensive option to keep out water, dirt and dust.
Good old GI gear. :flag:

Probably a dozen of these right now at the Foxhole in Tillicum.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:23 pm

I'd skip trying to waterproof it and just put the whole bag in a pelican case or sealed tote.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:09 pm
Profile WWW

That's true you could just put the entire bag inside of a big "dry-bag".

Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.ontargetmagazine.com/2022/1 ... ifle-case/

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/05/bone-d ... L_CAMPAIGN)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat May 13, 2023 9:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2