The demise of I-1639? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dare we hope?

https://youtu.be/3_2Hikdp2B0

Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe provide some description of what the video says? Or at least a reason why anyone should click that link.
Chances are you could describe the point in a sentence or two, instead of expecting everyone else to waste their time watching youtube.

Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Maybe provide some description of what the video says? Or at least a reason why anyone should click that link.
Chances are you could describe the point in a sentence or two, instead of expecting everyone else to waste their time watching youtube.

How the Challenges to Initiative 1639 Are Getting a Do-Over

Washington Gun Law President, William Kirk, discusses the recent agreed motion and order to grant review, vacate the previous ruling and remand the matter for new consideration in the matter of Mitchell v. Atkins. This case was one of the earlier challenges to Initiative 1639, and challenged the new laws on two separate grounds. At the time that Mitchell was decided, the Court was quite proud of the intermediate scrutiny analysis applied and how it led to the easily conclusion to dismiss the suit. Now both sides recognize that the rule of law has changed significantly and that this case was decided on the wrong grounds. Therefore, it's time for a do-over. What does this all mean to you? Learn this and arm yourself with education.

Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:

The title of the thread pretty well describes the point of the video.
If you don’t want to be bothered with clicking the link, scroll on.
:wagwoot: :patriot:

Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thosk wrote:
Yondering wrote:

The title of the thread pretty well describes the point of the video.
If you don’t want to be bothered with clicking the link, scroll on.
:wagwoot: :patriot:

:plusone:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We can only hope for a conservative judge to get the nod to rule on this case.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmalleck wrote:
Yondering wrote:

Washington Gun Law President, William Kirk, discusses the recent agreed motion and order to grant review, vacate the previous ruling and remand the matter for new consideration in the matter of Mitchell v. Atkins. This case was one of the earlier challenges to Initiative 1639, and challenged the new laws on two separate grounds. At the time that Mitchell was decided, the Court was quite proud of the intermediate scrutiny analysis applied and how it led to the easily conclusion to dismiss the suit. Now both sides recognize that the rule of law has changed significantly and that this case was decided on the wrong grounds. Therefore, it's time for a do-over. What does this all mean to you? Learn this and arm yourself with education.

..."the rule of law has changed significantly..."???
Please explain.

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
mmalleck wrote:
Yondering wrote:

Please explain.

Prior to Bruen, many courts used 'intermediate scrutiny' in their analysis of 2A issues. SCOTUS, in Bruen, told the courts to change the way they viewed the 2A, and to apply 'strict scrutiny'. This rule change will have a significant impact, and with any honesty, find most gun control laws unconstitutional.

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
mmalleck wrote:
Yondering wrote:

Please explain.

I think that'd be a reference to the recent Supreme Court ruling that has been upending a lot of gun restrictions across the country.

Thank you to mmalleck for the topic summary.

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Technically Bruen just reiterated Heller. SCOTUS just said "We really mean it" in Bruen.

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never understood why, when I have a safe full of firearms, I have to have a cooling off period.

Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

vic_b wrote:
I never understood why, when I have a safe full of firearms, I have to have a cooling off period.
So you want the state to keep a registry showing that you have firearms and what you have?

Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

vic_b wrote:

In an ideal world, I'd say "Exactly!".

But in the real world, it's because none of this is about safety or any of the other things they say these restrictions are about. It's really about a gradual and incremental erosion of your freedoms so that over time you will submit to a level of control none of us would have allowed if implemented all at once. The old maxim about "how to boil a frog" is apropos here - if you throw the frog in boiling water, he'll jump out. If you gradually heat up the water slowly, he'll become accustomed to it and stay put until it kills him.

Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scrid2000 wrote:
vic_b wrote:
So you want the state to keep a registry showing that you have firearms and what you have?

While that's a fair point, I don't think that's what has driven the system we currently have. And even if we did have a state registry, do you really think the state would relinquish the background check requirement for those already in it? I don't think so.

If those in power wanted this to be just about safety, or even efficiency for both the state agencies and you and I, they could have instituted a policy where proof you already completed a background check this week, or this month, etc would bypass the need to do it again. But they didn't, because that isn't, and never has been, their goal.

Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:27 pm

We need to make Bruen into a verb.

"I-1639 is getting Bruened."

"When will the standard cap mag ban be Bruened?"

Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next