Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:46 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Carrying on school property as armed employee 

Is it lawful for a licensed security guard to carry his firearm on school property?

Last edited by amc82 on Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shall not be infringed.

Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:02 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

amc82 wrote:
Is it lawful for a licensed security guard to carry his firearm on school property?

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280
Quote:
(1) It is unlawful for a person to knowingly carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools, or areas of facilities while being used for official meetings of a school district board of directors:
(a) Any firearm;...............

There are some exemptions.. Guard Card isn't one of them. But you are allowed to carry while picking up and dropping off a child, but cannot enter a building (or stadium).

Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

only difference between an armed guard card and everyone else is you get blue label stuff....

that said public school it's a big no go. private school will have their own official and unofficial rules. i got to know the principal at my kids private school on the peninsula well enough and she eventually thanked me for carrying at school functions even though it's not actually permitted.

overall though, concealed is concealed......

Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lessons learned.

1991 Luby Massacre.
Susan followed the law of that day and left her gun in the car. She witnessed both her parents being murdered.

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/news/p ... ab50820f79

Last edited by oldkim on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Concealed IS concealed.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:21 am

amc82 wrote:

based on my read of RCW(s), quoted below...the blunt answer is NO.

RCW 9.41.280 Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities—Penalty—Exceptions.
(1) It is unlawful for a person to knowingly carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools, or areas of facilities while being used for official meetings of a school district board of directors:
(a) Any firearm;

(2) Any such person violating subsection (1) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) Any student or employee of a private military academy when on the property of the academy;
(b) Any person engaged in military, law enforcement, or school district security activities. However, a person who is not a commissioned law enforcement officer and who provides school security services under the direction of a school administrator may not possess a device listed in subsection (1)(f) of this section unless he or she has successfully completed training in the use of such devices that is equivalent to the training received by commissioned law enforcement officers;

RCW 9.41.282 Possessing dangerous weapons on child care premises—Penalty—Exceptions.
(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, licensed child care center premises, child care center-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by a child care center:
(a) Any firearm;

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) Family day care provider homes as defined in RCW 43.216.010;
(b) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a child at the child care center;
(c) Any person at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the child care center; or
(d) Any law enforcement officer of a federal, state, or local government agency.

now those advocating skirting the law, concealed is not an option.

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:26 pm

PS: here is the cheet sheet Federal prospective, quote:
Generally, it is unlawful for any individual to knowingly possess a firearm within a school zone. A school zone is defined as being within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial, or private school. unquote

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide ... 1/download

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman nailed it.

I carry where signs that tell me I shouldn't carry as long as there is not a metal detector.

It's funny, the 34'ish years I worked at Boeing there was never a mass shooter on any plant.
But, I carried. Every day. (Except when I was union (13 years) because it's kind of tough to put a pistol/revolver in your lunch box.)
It was a huge risk, I could have lost everything if I would have had to use that pistol to protect myself and coworkers. But life beats risk every time.

Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a view points on signs…

Any idiot can place a sign. Does it hold legal weight? In WA state - someone placing a sign doesn’t mean much from a legal standpoint. But other states are different. So be careful on where you apply in either way of following or not following that sign.

Just like some states you are not allowed to carry in a church or bar but others you are. We tend to apply our thoughts to where we are (aka Washington State but not everyone is or will be in WA).

Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldkim wrote:
Just a view points on signs…

Any idiot can place a sign. Does it hold legal weight? In WA state - someone placing a sign doesn’t mean much from a legal standpoint.

Um... it holds lots of weight where required by law. Schools and bars are required to have very specific signs posted. Private property, not so much.

Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

all this non sense.... just carry the damn thing. the way they prosecute now is just a "don't do that slap on wrist"

Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

Um... it holds lots of weight where required by law. Schools and bars are required to have very specific signs posted. Private property, not so much.

Like you mean the RCW - revised code of Washington? Which as you and other have pasted is all laid out. But someone can place a no guns sign at their business, home and from Washington RCW hold no legal footing just because they placed that sign.

In other states those same sign can or may hold legal status. But not in WA is what I was getting at.

So one must be familiar with what and where they can carry is my message. So do the research everyone. We all have very specific needs and circumstances.

Like some don’t have kids. Or maybe you just go to school events visiting? It’s quite Huge how other states do it but we have to know our own state.

Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:26 pm

amc82 wrote:

Only when working as an armed guard there.

Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
all this non sense.... just carry the damn thing. the way they prosecute now is just a "don't do that slap on wrist"

True. Unless you're a gainfully employed white male. Then chances are high someone will want to make an example of you. icon_eek

Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next