Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Big time auction! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:
KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Hoping a couple may slip through the cracks with that big of an auction and maybe get 1 or 2 for a good price.

I am currently bidding on 40 items.
I am fairly certain I know the origin of this auction.

Good luck to all bidding and don't get lured in by the frenzy and end up paying way too much.

Look at all of the details, including the Buyer premium that is on top of the final bid.

Must be nice...I'm bidding on one, but will likely shift once it gets above my comfort range.

Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:49 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

hkcavalier wrote:
Nitro_Guns wrote:
KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Hoping a couple may slip through the cracks with that big of an auction and maybe get 1 or 2 for a good price.

I am currently bidding on 40 items.
I am fairly certain I know the origin of this auction.

Good luck to all bidding and don't get lured in by the frenzy and end up paying way too much.

Look at all of the details, including the Buyer premium that is on top of the final bid.

Must be nice...I'm bidding on one, but will likely shift once it gets above my comfort range.

If I won all 40 for the fair price that I understand, I would be thrilled.
But honestly, of the 40 items I am bidding on, how many do I expect to go for a reasonable price.....FEW TO NONE.
I have done auctions of all types for years.
People get all engulfed in the process and end up paying too much.
Seen it happen over and over.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:01 pm

Not the easiest, most straight forward, or cheapest way to buy a firearm - that's for sure. 13% buyer's premium + approx. 10% sales tax + $40-$50 transfer fee + a trip to Kenmore Wa or Snohomish Wa (maybe 2 trips? 1 for paperwork and 1 to pick up your handgun or semiauto rifle) on top of what your winning bid was. Damn. Yeah, you have to get lucky; plus, I'm sure it's like most gunbroker auctions: the serious bidders show up in the last 30 minutes.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:51 am

esbshaw wrote:
Not the easiest, most straight forward, or cheapest way to buy a firearm - that's for sure. 13% buyer's premium + approx. 10% sales tax + $40-$50 transfer fee + a trip to Kenmore Wa or Snohomish Wa (maybe 2 trips? 1 for paperwork and 1 to pick up your handgun or semiauto rifle) on top of what your winning bid was. Damn. Yeah, you have to get lucky; plus, I'm sure it's like most gunbroker auctions: the serious bidders show up in the last 30 minutes.

^^^^^ This guy gets it.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone really wanted the prewar Colts I was bidding on (above market value). But managed to snag a couple handguns for cheap. Not the Phoenix Arms ones either :)

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only ones that had my attention went too high too fast. Do they ever publish what the winning bid was? I would be curious on a few others as to what they ended up going for.

Too many people either ignore the buyers premium and sales tax or just plain go into a frenzy - especially with online auctions. I have never found a great deal in an online auction but have found plenty in onsite auctions

Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bearhunter99 wrote:
The only ones that had my attention went too high too fast. Do they ever publish what the winning bid was? I would be curious on a few others as to what they ended up going for.

Too many people either ignore the buyers premium and sales tax or just plain go into a frenzy - especially with online auctions. I have never found a great deal in an online auction but have found plenty in onsite auctions

I got the S&W .38/44 Heavy Duty (postwar) with period target grips for $425 before buyer's premium and tax. This is easily a $1k gun on GB. It clearly slid under the radar and is 100% a collector's baby as most people don't care for big, heavy .38 Specials. So there were some great deals, just not on the really hot models. Again, someone had a hard on for the older Colt revolvers and consistently outbid me on 4 separate guns.

The other one wasn't nearly as good a deal (pretty much retail) but kind of a "why not" buy, one of the NAA Guardians in .32ACP. Always wanted an all-metal shirt pocket auto.

Now I get to figure out how to get up to Snohomish (twice). :crybaby:

Anyone else get something interesting?

Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:50 pm

Nice! Yeah, I got the .308 Norwegian Kongsberg rifle with Kahles scope for a $676 bid - $841 invoice total, but I think I'll owe another forty bucks for a transfer fee when I pick it up. I'm happy.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bid on a couple Marlin's and a Franchi but I didn't need them as bad as the high bidders did. I guess now I don't have to burn a bunch of fuel!

Well, when I looked around all I saw was a pimp with a shiny pair of shoes and a '49 Mercury!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2