Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Question on new rifle 

Hey all, new member here, but not new to firearms in general. I recently picked up a Remington 700 sendero in ultra mag. Has a trigger upgrade and a few other minor tweaks done. Not sure if I'm going to keep this rifle or try to flip it for something else like a couple of glock or something as I already have a few hunting rifles.

My question is this. Is this a decent rifle (outside of the normal Remington 700 status) and what would the value of this be? Has about 40 rounds put thru it, but is far from mint. I've seen the standard 700 win mag go for 600 or so used maybe a bit more.. But gunbroker has the sendero version listed at an average of 1500 and some even higher.. Is this really that much of a difference and why?

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to hearing opinions.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum!

welcomewgo

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! I believe you have come to the right place for an answer to your question. Someone is bound to chime in soon. ;)

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!
To answer your question we are likely going to need a few pictures for condition, and also the caliber... there are 4 Remington Ultra Mag calibers- 7mm, 300, 338, and 375 (the first two are also available in Short Action Ultra Magnum, SAUM, so technically 6 potential chamberings), and their value goes up in that order.
Knowing the date of manufacture (by serial number), as well as the make of the upgraded trigger (or was it just the factory trigger polished up?) will also effect the value, as will any scope or other optics and accessories on it (potentially).

I would say without knowing anything else that you have a $1200 rifle to the right buyer if it is in the HS precision stock and has a relatively lower round count as you state in 7mm or 300 RUM. If in 338 or 375 RUM, that value goes up a bit. "Far from mint" definitely hurts the value, especially without seeing pictures.

That being said, there is at least one shop online selling the rifle in 300RUM for under $835 new and in stock, so unless you have a nice scope or other accessories, brass, ammo, etc, you may get less. Gunbroker is an auction, people do crazy things at an auction, and there will be fees taken from the total, shipping hassle, etc (not to mention I only find one Sendero on there with a bid at $1195 with accessories, the others have not sold).

Post up some pics of everything and we can definitely get you closer from there!

Edit- I did not answer you question regarding the Sendero vs R700- Sendero's have a heavier contour barrel, not quite a varmint- call it a heavy sporter profile, standard 26" vs 22" or 24" length, and typically come in an HS precision stock. No reason you couldn't take a 700 action and make a Sendero from it (that's all Remington does anyway), but that's about the only differences. They lend well to longer range and magnum calibers due to the stock and barrel weight/length, but are heavier and less "handy" then a lightweight sporter or mountain rifle as a result, so it's just a trade off depending on what you want.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:03 am

Normanator wrote:
Welcome!
To answer your question we are likely going to need a few pictures for condition, and also the caliber... there are 4 Remington Ultra Mag calibers- 7mm, 300, 338, and 375 (the first two are also available in Short Action Ultra Magnum, SAUM, so technically 6 potential chamberings), and their value goes up in that order.
Knowing the date of manufacture (by serial number), as well as the make of the upgraded trigger (or was it just the factory trigger polished up?) will also effect the value, as will any scope or other optics and accessories on it (potentially).

I would say without knowing anything else that you have a $1200 rifle to the right buyer if it is in the HS precision stock and has a relatively lower round count as you state in 7mm or 300 RUM. If in 338 or 375 RUM, that value goes up a bit. "Far from mint" definitely hurts the value, especially without seeing pictures.

That being said, there is at least one shop online selling the rifle in 300RUM for under $835 new and in stock, so unless you have a nice scope or other accessories, brass, ammo, etc, you may get less. Gunbroker is an auction, people do crazy things at an auction, and there will be fees taken from the total, shipping hassle, etc (not to mention I only find one Sendero on there with a bid at $1195 with accessories, the others have not sold).

Post up some pics of everything and we can definitely get you closer from there!

Edit- I did not answer you question regarding the Sendero vs R700- Sendero's have a heavier contour barrel, not quite a varmint- call it a heavy sporter profile, standard 26" vs 22" or 24" length, and typically come in an HS precision stock. No reason you couldn't take a 700 action and make a Sendero from it (that's all Remington does anyway), but that's about the only differences. They lend well to longer range and magnum calibers due to the stock and barrel weight/length, but are heavier and less "handy" then a lightweight sporter or mountain rifle as a result, so it's just a trade off depending on what you want.
Thanks for the great info. Only have one photo of it that came from the original owner. It's not very good. I'll update with some here in a few days when I get back home. It's chambered in 300 and doesn't have a scope or anything. Has a jewel trigger and a vialis muzzle break. And a dampener on the barrel. Not sure what that does, never used one before, but it came on it. I say not in mint condition because the barrel has a few minor scratches on it. Most likely from being carried around in some brush from the previous owner. Nothing major. But there none the less.

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have the standard Remington synthetic stock. Nothing wrong with it, but its not the fancier HS Precision. The muzzle brake doesn't do much for value as some like them, some not. Recoil damper is an aftermarket piece that helps barrel harmonics, it slips on/off and is not expensive.
Judging from the non-fluted barrel and standard stock, that gun is probably 1990's date range, maybe early 2000's, so not the more highly sought older guns.
You're still competing with new, in stock, HS Precision model for $835, so if you're looking to sell quick, thats the price to beat, otherwise you can list it for more an see if someone wants the brake etc!

Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:29 pm

Thanks for the info again. I'd likely be looking to trade over a sale, usually get more value that way. My son wants a glock 19x or 17 or 34..so might try to go that route and try to pickup two used lol. Thanks again!

Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thats probably your best bet as most used glocks will run you $650 or so if paying cash! :ROFLMAO:

Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a note, December is not a great time to sell hunting rifles, but you may have luck with someone who went hunting and found their current rifle inadequate. Rifles like yours are pretty popular in the Columbia Basin and Palouse (wide open country).

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:04 am

hkcavalier wrote:
Just a note, December is not a great time to sell hunting rifles, but you may have luck with someone who went hunting and found their current rifle inadequate. Rifles like yours are pretty popular in the Columbia Basin and Palouse (wide open country).
Thanks for the heads up. I'm out in Bonney lake. Hoping for one of the trillion hunters in my area to need a new rig. [emoji23]

Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]