Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:31 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Anyone have experience with the 6.5x55 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I've done the basic googlefu on the history & specs of the 6.5 x 55. Seems like a legit & long standing cartridge.
I'm a southpaw & I've found a beautiful Tika lefty bolt rifle chambered in 6.5x55. Anybody have one? Taken game with it etc. How is ammo availability? Factory loaded by most of the common players in the game?

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:36 am

Great caliber! I had a Sako TRG 995 in 6.5 Swede and it was an amazing great shooter. I always shot handloads, not sure what factory ammo availability is tho. And, Tikka rifles are decent. had a couple that were sub moa shooters out of box. Sounds like it would be a good rifle combo.
jeff

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:57 am

I have a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. I pretty much hand load for it since there aren't many factory options.

Performance on US spec factory loads is a small bit below that of the 260rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. It fires the same bullets at a slightly slower speed...around 2500fps vs 2600-2700fps.

Euro spec ammunition is a bit hotter and performs a small bit better than the 260/6.5cm. Since you have a Tikka you can run the hotter spec without any issues. I think they call it 6.5x55 SE.
If you handload you can get the most out of the cartridge by running hotter loads or going to heavier 160gr bullets that the CM can't run.

6.5x55 truly is an amazing cartridge! The Scandinavians have routinely dropped Moose with it for over 100 years.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear & confirms what I've been reading...
Thank you for the input

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:48 pm

Sweetheart old cartridge. Doesn’t need any fixin. Creedmoor exists to put it into the AR10. One can debate same regarding 7x57 and 7mm-08

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is the 6.5 Creedmore without the marketing hype.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tons of experience, all of it good. A 140 grain bullet at moderate velocity and minimal recoil. It's a long action cartridge - so what? Factory ammo is generally available, but not always. I have several firearms, and even an Encore handgun, in the cartridge. All shoot well.

My 11 year old (at the time) took his first deer on Kodiak a Model 70. My (now) gf took her sheep with one, too.

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:37 am

Been shooting one for 15+ years.....Awesome. Mine is built on a savage action.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:41 pm

WingNut81 wrote:
I have a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. I pretty much hand load for it since there aren't many factory options.

Performance on US spec factory loads is a small bit below that of the 260rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. It fires the same bullets at a slightly slower speed...around 2500fps vs 2600-2700fps.

Euro spec ammunition is a bit hotter and performs a small bit better than the 260/6.5cm. Since you have a Tikka you can run the hotter spec without any issues. I think they call it 6.5x55 SE.
If you handload you can get the most out of the cartridge by running hotter loads or going to heavier 160gr bullets that the CM can't run.

6.5x55 truly is an amazing cartridge! The Scandinavians have routinely dropped Moose with it for over 100 years.

You are right....A lot of factory ammo load it down because people shoot the old Mausers and they don't want the liability. On a modern action, the 6.5x55 can out perform the 260 and 6.5CM with ease.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]