Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 5.56/.223 defense loadings? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a note that I don't really consider the AR-15 or any .223 rifle my main home defense weapon, and to my best knowledge military m193/m855 or M262 loading have sufficient terminal performance between 100-500 yards depending on loading and barrel length due to fragmentation and is very well documented on both gel test and real world performance about their effectiveness probably more so than any ammo known to man.

However I have been given the suggestion that I should have civilian legal defense loading such as JSP or HP .223 loading for effectiveness.

My research into it have found that LE agencies unlike with 9mm are a bit all over the place involving Federal TRU 223, Hornady TAP, Speer Gold Dot as well as SS109 and M262 77gr conventional FMJ.

I hesitate a bit going for anything that is like a "hype" defense loading and stick to something that has a provable track record like 124gr +P JHP 9mm.

I'm not sure how much of this really matters either, we have a lot of documented information that m193 within 150 yards is terminally effective due to fragmentation, and the ball ammo is cheap to test reliability, train with, and test for accuracy. There are a lot of concerns with soft point ammo reliability and testing it for $2 a round every time sounds especially painful, particularly if you have configured a standard 16 inch RECEE rifle that you are usually between M855 and M262 for the accuracy reasons, JSP would sort interfere with the mix in that.

I would like to know what anyone else does for their defensive 5.56 or .223 needs, it would be good to know what people use and why. The FBI has signed a new contract with Federal but the loading is not known yet, AFAIK they used 64gr nosler bonded JSP before.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:13 pm

Also interested to hear if anyone has opinions about the Black Hills Barnes TSX patrol rifle load for this application.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There seems to be plenty of loadings out there. I suspect they were more in line with Varmint rounds.
The real issues I have is 223 is such a small round. That yes they can be plenty lethal but there are such better calibers that are SO much better. While I do have several boxes of JHP (And somehow ended up with way more than I will likely ever need, one more thing to get around to listing! Or do you want some?) they are there for just in case not for expected use.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:04 am
Profile WWW

I have few magazines loaded with 64gr Speer JSP rounds. I don’t believe 64gr is available anymore but 55gr, 62gr, and 75gr rounds are if you can find any.

https://www.speer.com/ammunition/gold_dot/

My fallback are 55gr M193 rounds.

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:03 pm

Federal LE223T1 and LE223T3 were/are ~55gr and ~62-64gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, from what I have read they seem to be popular with Federal law enforcement.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This should keep you busy for awhile. Ballistic Tips, Hollow points, soft points etc in Ballistic gel.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... istics+gel

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:26 pm

I like the federal tru .223 55 gr hp for my 16”+ guns, and federal gmm .223 77gr smk for the SBR.

Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Maybe its just me but ive never thought of a 223 as an inside the home defense weapon..too worried about killing the neighbor cat.

But, like Barry Soretoro said...

I'm all ears.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black hills has some excellent cartridges, and while their soft points are as exceptional, they left the inside of the rifle very dirty. I think the lead got stripped off when riding up the feed ramp(?)That might be a small price to pay for the great accuracy of their loads.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kyle had standard. 223 ammo during the BLM Riots.
Just saying.

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:52 pm

jukk0u wrote:
Black hills has some excellent cartridges, and while their soft points are as exceptional, they left the inside of the rifle very dirty. I think the lead got stripped off when riding up the feed ramp(?)That might be a small price to pay for the great accuracy of their loads.
My first AR15 it had a 1/9” twist so I was using some the Black Hills 5.56 50gr TSX rounds. I still have my 1/9” twist but my primary AR is 1/7” twist now and am using 64gr Speer JSP. I suppose I could still use the 50gr TSX in my 1/7” twist barrel.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]