Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ruger SP 101 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Grandpa wants me to sell his SP101 357 2 1'2". It's near new. Any idea what they are going for and what would be a fair price for it? Thanks. He's got the factory box and all it papers.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 24, 2021 10:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might be worth a stroll through gunbroker to get an idea for new and used prices. In general for handguns I see a lot of folks online advertising used guns for near new prices in the current market. I suppose it depends how quick you want to move it.

Are you going to sell consignment at a brick and mortar dealer? Takes more patience but you take home a lot more that way than selling it directly to the dealer since they buy low, turn it around, and sell it for new new prices anyways pocketing the mark-up for themselves. If you sell for consignment then both you and the dealer have the same interest in selling it as high as practical and you can ask their opinion also on what a good going value would be.

BTW the SP101 is IMO one of the best Ruger firearms. A great design and hopefully will move really quick for you.

Mon May 24, 2021 10:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haaaa haaa He bought it from Randy nice, your grandfather has good taste when it comes to FFLs

Contact Randy (as he is on here) and see if he will buy it back he will be fair with you trust me, he is a good guy.

Mon May 24, 2021 11:43 am

Near as I can tell they go for about $500 depending on condition. My advice is not to sell, they are built like tanks and I never had a failure. A bit heavy, but if the situation calls for it if you have run out of ammo and whatever is attacking you hasn't stopped advancing it makes for a nice bludgeon until you can reload.

Tue May 25, 2021 3:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thats the best thing you can pack into your pants every morning other than your wiener.

Tue May 25, 2021 8:11 pm

You can get $500 for this pistol since it's still in good condition .

Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

zombie66 wrote:
Haaaa haaa He bought it from Randy nice, your grandfather has good taste when it comes to FFLs

Contact Randy (as he is on here) and see if he will buy it back he will be fair with you trust me, he is a good guy.

:bow: :bow:

Well aren't you just the nicest..... :bigsmile:
In all seriousness, I do appreciate the kind words.

And the values being stated are pretty much right on.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Wed May 26, 2021 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

agreed on the value. I manage to get a steal on mine and got it plus some goodies for $350. I have seen them listed at various prices but if it really comes with the original box and is hardly used (like it look!) yeah you should be able to get a decent premium. Like others have said keep it in the family. They are a handful with 357 mag rounds. I never shoot more than one cylinder of 357 at the range. But shooting 38's is very reasonable. Also these as noted are well built and VERY easy to operate. Make great bed side guns and great defensive firearms for women.

DO Note they are notoriously inaccurate much past 5-7 yards. They are great for close in defense not for shoot outs in the parking lot. (Hence why they make good bedside firearms.)

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:yes:

100% agree with everything said :thumbsup2:

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:08 pm

Col_Temp wrote:
agreed on the value. I manage to get a steal on mine and got it plus some goodies for $350. I have seen them listed at various prices but if it really comes with the original box and is hardly used (like it look!) yeah you should be able to get a decent premium. Like others have said keep it in the family. They are a handful with 357 mag rounds. I never shoot more than one cylinder of 357 at the range. But shooting 38's is very reasonable. Also these as noted are well built and VERY easy to operate. Make great bed side guns and great defensive firearms for women.

DO Note they are notoriously inaccurate much past 5-7 yards. They are great for close in defense not for shoot outs in the parking lot. (Hence why they make good bedside firearms.)

My 3" Sp101 was very effective at pistol ranges. I used to send my target all the way back to the end of the ranges and hit return and see how many shots to the torso I could make before the target got to me. Will I put out lit matches with it at 25 yards? Probably not, but for social distances it does the job.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:40 pm

Col_Temp wrote:
............DO Note they are notoriously inaccurate much past 5-7 yards. They are great for close in defense not for shoot outs in the parking lot. (Hence why they make good bedside firearms.)

Maybe I should find you a range membership so that you can practice...... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take issue with the assertion that short barreled revolvers are not accurate past spitting distances.

Even the j-frame snubbies have plenty of mechanical accuracy. It's their long, heavy trigger pulls and recoil that makes them a challenge for most shooters. On the one hand, a lot of folks have serious difficulties maintaining sight alignment throughout the course of a DA revo trigger pull and bad habits such as jerking the trigger really become obvious with these kind of guns. Any tendency to flinching is also exacerbated by the harsh recoil. So the spitting distance rule with j-frames is more a consideration of the average shooters ability to handle these firearms than any comment on mechanical accuracy.

The SP101 is in a different league than j-frames. Much heavier and a longer barrel makes for a much more controllable firearm. 357 is certainly a handful. If one finds that 357 induces a lot of flinching, then shooting 38 +P defensive loads may be much more effective as they allow more manageable recoil, less flinching, and faster follow-up shots. There's no reason a SP101 can't be accurate at any reasonable pistol range given proper selection of ammo coupled with a decent amount of practice (provided the shooter isn't jerking the trigger and/or flinching).

Stepping up in frame size, a Smith L-frame with 4-6" barrel is certainly capable of ringing steel on large plates at 100 yards. I'm skeptical that there would be any mechanical reason the SP101 can't equal this accuracy.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
Col_Temp wrote:

My 3" Sp101 was very effective at pistol ranges. I used to send my target all the way back to the end of the ranges and hit return and see how many shots to the torso I could make before the target got to me. Will I put out lit matches with it at 25 yards? Probably not, but for social distances it does the job.
Yeah and it's amazing the difference between a 2.25 inch and a 3 inch.
I have a 4.2 in gp that is very accurate.
I will also agree with da trigger being large part of the reason its hard to be accurate.

Sure i can easily be on paper at 10 yards or more with my stubby but I'm not going to place all 6 shots in the X.
And that includes 95% plus of everyone else as well.

Agree there is nothing mechanically that effects accuracy other than that short barrel is not going to be able to get much spin in the bullet, making it less stable overall.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Had a SP101 back in the day.
Turd in your pocket.
Too heavy for a pocket pistol, much prefer a S&W 642 Airweight or even a full SS 640 if going .357.
Rugers are overbuilt, last a lifetime. I was a Six series police armorer back when cops carried revolvers.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:24 pm

I paid $495. For mine. Great gun.

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next