Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 SIG's New Machine Gun Gets Army Safety Certs 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/si ... newsletter

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Folding stock? Retarded. Why would you need a folding stock on a medium/heavy machine gun? Carry concealed? As as machine gunner I carried an M60E3 for two years. Not once did I ever wish for a side folding stock (not possible with the M60). Just more parts to wear and break that serve no purpose.

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a Sig guy but that thing is fuuuuugly.

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:43 pm

Bruce556 wrote:
Folding stock? Retarded. Why would you need a folding stock on a medium/heavy machine gun? Carry concealed? As as machine gunner I carried an M60E3 for two years. Not once did I ever wish for a side folding stock (not possible with the M60). Just more parts to wear and break that serve no purpose.

Why not? These armored trucks are more ramped and soldiers have so much stuff hanging off them that they now take up a ton of space. Its smart to put a folding stocking it to alleviateso room. And It's not a part that is likely to break anyways

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:51 am

Its ugly. Really ugly

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'Excuse me sir... will you shoot me with the "pretty" gun instead."

I don't think it's ugliness will make the BG's any less dead.

Having never had to carry a squad machine gun I'll have to take y'alls word for how it would work or not.

I'm guessing the folding stock allows it to be fired off-hand if surprised while patrolling before one could get flopped down and set up? or just to aid in being mobile?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:19 pm

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Bruce556 wrote:

Why not? These armored trucks are more ramped and soldiers have so much stuff hanging off them that they now take up a ton of space. Its smart to put a folding stocking it to alleviateso room. And It's not a part that is likely to break anyways

Retarded!

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems pretty smart to me. It looks like there are some mounting options on the underside

Folding the stock out of the way will make it more maneuverable

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:33 pm

RocketScott wrote:
Seems pretty smart to me. It looks like there are some mounting options on the underside

Folding the stock out of the way will make it more maneuverable

More maneuverable for what? Are you going to fire this gun one handed while fixed on a mount? Not a good idea. The stock pressed into the shoulder or against the body helps counter recoil.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was the first mount that popped up on a google search

Trying to get the idea across that it might not always be fired from the shoulder, and that there are clearly mounting points on the underside

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:02 pm

RocketScott wrote:
That was the first mount that popped up on a google search

Trying to get the idea across that it might not always be fired from the shoulder, and that there are clearly mounting points on the underside

If a machinegun is attached to a mount or fixed in a cradle, it still needs to be "steadied". Often a tri-pod is not enough when on a solid surface like concrete or soft surface like sand.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not seeing a stock...

There has to be a reason they went with the folding stock. It adds cost so it must serve a purpose to be justified

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where's Notamerc when you need him...

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another perspective on it from SSD:

USSOCOM Completes Safety Certification and Purchase of SIG SAUER MG 338 Machine Guns, Ammunition, and Next Generation Suppressors
http://soldiersystems.net/2020/01/15/ussocom-completes-safety-certification-and-purchase-of-sig-sauer-mg-338-machine-guns-ammunition-and-next-generation-suppressors/

Great picture for scale:

Quote:
The SIG MG 338 bridges the gap between the current machine guns currently in use with the U.S. Military. In comparison to the current M240 (7.62x51cal) machine gun, which has been in service with the U.S. Military for 60 years, the SIG MG 338, is noticeably lighter, weighing only 20 pounds, and provides significantly more range and lethality. In comparison to the M2 (.50cal), which has been in service with the U.S. Military for 110 years, the MG 338 is approximately one-quarter the weight, and in a historic first, offers a man-portable solution with similar effective-range. Making this system even more desirable are the new SIG SAUER Next Generation Suppressors which drastically reduces the impact of harmful toxic fumes and signature, making the operator less vulnerable.

The SIG SAUER MG 338 machine gun is a belt-fed, lightweight medium machine gun weighing under 20lbs., chambered in 338 Norma Mag. The MG 338 features a short-stroke gas piston system and a proprietary recoil mitigation system, with a free-floating, quick-change barrel, ambidextrous controls, switchable feed tray, charging handle that can be alternated to either side depending on operator preference, and as a modern, multi-caliber, modular system the new SIG MG 338 is easily convertible to 7.62x51cal.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:37 pm

RocketScott wrote:
Not seeing a stock...

There has to be a reason they went with the folding stock. It adds cost so it must serve a purpose to be justified

You are using two hands/arms attached to your body providing left and right support. You are not firing that one handed in that mount unless your left hand is manipulating the traversing and elevation mechanism (T&E). Still using both hands.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next