Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mk 12 SPR "Evolution" 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am in the process of building 2 ARs. One is a super-super-light weight 16" mid-length in FDE, that build is well in hand.

Other is inspired by the Mk 12 SPR, with an 18" barrel, rifle length gas block (maybe one of the fancy Faxon fluted barrels).
But it will not have the original muzzle brake/collar for the suppressor of the Mk 12 - I'm not trying to build an exact replica, but more of a "2023 SPR" but still keeping with the 18" barrel idea.

The lower/upper is M4E1, smooth side upper with no forward assist.

Anyway, I'm looking for some ideas for muzzle brakes/flash hider, and handguard. It won't have a suppressor.
I think I have enough ideas for the other furniture.

(Yes, I passed the background check.)

Tue May 23, 2023 2:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, frack... I've been going down this road for a while, collecting parts and daydreaming... and now I'm kind of second guessing my barrel choice. I'm into a Critereon barrel for a left nut (I was in the throws of the koof flu when I made the purchase... clouded my thinking), but am thinking about this one:

https://centurionarms.com/mk12-barrel/

They have the Ops inc. muzzle device too:

https://centurionarms.com/ops-inc-brake-and-collar/

Here's a cool page with history of the mk12. Maybe get some inspiration there?

https://snipercentral.com/mk12-spr/

PRI handguards here:

https://www.precisionreflex.com/

https://www.mountsplus.com/pri-forearms.html

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue May 23, 2023 9:49 pm

Jukk0u why not just stick with the Critereon barrel you already got? It'll be wicked accurate.

Wed May 24, 2023 5:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could stick with the Criterion bbl, and probably should, would and will given my finances. Thing is it's a 1:8 twist (either they don't offer a 1:7x18" like I wanted, or in my Covid induced fog I didn't see it). I was thinking on shooting some heavier bewlitz so the additional twist rate would have been nice.

I'd maybe have sold my pristine Sporter to finance this build, but, well even if it hadn't fallen off the boat, Jay and the gang of legislidiots made that an impossibility.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Wed May 24, 2023 6:30 am

By all accounts the difference between 1/7 & 1/8 is miniscule, especially when discussing such a high quality barrel.

I can almost guarantee that barrel will be more accurate than my BA 18" SPR barrel (1/7) with any weight, even 77gr.

I'd say build with confidence. Lots of shooters running similar with great results. It was a good choice.

Wed May 24, 2023 6:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the encouragement.

DD just notified me that their MK12 barrels are back in stock for a minute. These were among the candidates I was considering before I gave up and ordered the criterion.

https://danieldefense.com/18-5-56mm-s2w ... mpaign=isn

Edit: be aware, that's a midlength gas barrel.

Here's rifle:

https://danieldefense.com/18-5-56mm-s2w ... arrel.html

also, they appear to be in stock only with their gas block installed

FJB

Wed May 24, 2023 11:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

é

FJB

Last edited by jukk0u on Wed May 24, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 24, 2023 11:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good links thank you - I have seen some of this, but not all of it.

All the pieces are out there if you want to build a replica (but $$$) -- Allen engineering has a lot of the stuff: http://aesuppressors.com/mounts/

This is the barrel I was thinking of: https://faxonfirearms.com/faxon-match-s ... 15-barrel/

or maybe this one https://faxonfirearms.com/faxon-match-s ... 15-barrel/

I don't need the mounting collar etc, but a handguard and muzzle brake that fit in with the SPR function and form, don't have to be identical to the Mk 12.

Wed May 24, 2023 12:27 pm

I'm not really sure what makes a "spr" type handguard other than being rifle length.

I'd probably skip the PRI one unless you like that look. It's a good handguard (I have both a AR-15 and 10 one) but it's a bit dated as it's all rails and no mlok or anything.

Same goes for the "quad rail" look as found on the mk12 mod 1 (the kac ras whatever lol). It's bulky and heavier than other options. And looks dated if you really want a "2023 style".

The Geissele options options are nice. I've got two of them and they work fine. But they have options for different lengths, weights, diameters and features (rail on top vs some with rails at the end)

As for muzzle devices...I'm no help there lol. I pretty much run one of the ACC suppressor mount ones, AE ones (for my AEM5), or just the good ol A2

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Wed May 24, 2023 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the "dated" look. It's a retro thing, for me.

As far as brakes go, if you aren't chasing the MK 12 "look", then these are fabulous:

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/p ... zzle-brake

FJB

Wed May 24, 2023 6:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

As far as brakes go, if you aren't chasing the MK 12 "look", then these are fabulous:

Thanks for the good suggestions -- not looking for the exact Mk 12 look but certainly something that has a similar vibe (and is of course "accurate")

That APA FB muzzle brake went to the top of my list. Maybe in stainless.

Fri May 26, 2023 5:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

velillen wrote:
The Geissele options options are nice. I've got two of them and they work fine. But they have options for different lengths, weights, diameters and features (rail on top vs some with rails at the end)

Thanks, I had looked at their stuff for the FDE "light weight dirt bag" rifle, but hadn't thought about them for the "SPR Evolution". I went with a short Aero S series M-lock for the lightweighr rifle.

And technically I know it should take a suppressor, I'm just too damned lazy for the NFA crap.

I will take another look at Geissele handguards etc. I haven't thought about MLOK/quad etc for this rifle. Main thing is having a bipod for it beyond that less fussed about what/how stuff is attached to it.

Fri May 26, 2023 5:27 am

jukk0u wrote:

Man, I have no idea why anyone would want to pay that much money just to make their gun louder. Would not want. Wierd shit.

Never saw the need personally for any kind of "brake" with any 5.56 gun.

Fri May 26, 2023 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I put one on a .308 and have really been impressed. Don't have one on any of my 5.56 guns either.

FJB

Fri May 26, 2023 1:38 pm

Roger, THAT would make sense, especially on a lightweight gun.

Does it seem louder to folks beside you? Every brake I've been around does.

Fri May 26, 2023 5:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next